DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who ordered the gates to be shut in Fal Dara?

lummy

Hi all

Just doing my 4th complete re-read in readiness for AMOL, just on The Great Hunt first couple of chapters and something that I have been pondering over since by first read.

The Amrylin Seat has just arrived at Fal Dara and Rand is making haste to get out of the city, yet when he goes to the Kings Stables, the stablehand won't let him have his horse as there has been a command that no-one is allowed to leave, so he makes his way to a side gate and Maesma and Ragan (i think) are on guard and they won't let Rand through as they have just received the same message from Uno that no-one at all is allowed to leave. So Rand goes off on his way and eventually meets up with Egwene.

Now a bit later on after the Trolloc attack when Fain is freed, Lan says to Rand that Morraine told him he was free to leave whenever he wants to go, and Rand asks him why now when he couldn't leave before and Lan looks troubled.

So the question is, we know that Lord Agelmar didn't give the order as Ingtar wasn't aware of it though Uno was, I'm guessing that Uno and Ingtar are of a similar rank, we also know that Morraine didn't give the order, or at least not to the knowledge of Lan from his reaction. So who did give the order that no-one could leave Fal Dara? It couldn't have been Aes Sedai as they had literally just come through the gates of the city. So who was it? And to what purpose?

Popular opinion is that it was Ingtar, as Ingtar was a lord and could give such an order, short of the lord of Fal Dara. Ingtar is an admitted Darkfriend who chose the shadow as he saw no other way to win fighting for so long against the shadow and watch as the shadow and the blight swallowed up Malkier and encroached on the borderlands.

It is widely thought that it was Moraine - attempting to allow him to leave while not making it possible.

Luckers has a great post on the topic found here..

I always thought it was Morraine too, but Lan's troubled expression had me doubting it was her.

Cheers for the link, I did a forum search before posting, but obviously had the wrong key words!

Popular opinion is that it was Ingtar, as Ingtar was a lord and could give such an order, short of the lord of Fal Dara. Ingtar is an admitted Darkfriend who chose the shadow as he saw no other way to win fighting for so long against the shadow and watch as the shadow and the blight swallowed up Malkier and encroached on the borderlands.

I agree Ingtar could have given the order, but to what end? The only reason I can think of is that they wanted to grab Rand, but if my memory serves me right isn't Lanfear behind the attack and we know from later chapters that she wants Rand for herself and she tries to seduce him rather than force him, so we are back to the question what benefit would Ingtar giving the order give?

I haven't read Luckers post on "The Fal Dara Lockdown" yet so it may have an answer there. Talking about Luckers, that guy is a bleeding WOT Encyclopaedia! Bleeding marvellous. Whatever happen to the other guy on here JohnWills something or other? I always enjoyed Luckers and his forum posts.

So pre-Luckers post read, we know Morriane distanced herself from Rand to let him off the leash as it were but we also know that she was keeping a close eye on him, I think she mentions to Suian Sanche that he is more stubborn than most Emond Fielders, who themselves can beat a stone in a staring contest (if stones had eyes, she didn't actually say that, it was me trying to come up with an appropriate analogy). So knowing the Suian had just arrived in Fal Dara, Morraine would have been aware that she came to meet Rand\Mat\Perrin so it is plausible that she gave the order to keep Rand from running. However from Lan's reaction we know he isn't aware that Morraine gave the order, it may be as we know she just didn't tell him or it could be that it just wasn't her.

Archived