DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The dark one in multiple worlds(spoiler)

Isahn

SO, in the Dragon Reborn, Verin tells Egwene that The Dark One and the Creator exist at the same time on many different worlds. Also, that the Dark One is imprisoned on all of these worlds. Was just wondering,

is the DO imprisoned in Shaoul Guhl in all of these other worlds, or some other location? The reason I am asking is, with the way the Pattern is bending currently in the series, is it possible for the pattern to have bent a certain way to free the DO from his prison without anyone knowing it? Thoughts?

Thanks

Well first off, the DO isn't imprisoned at Shayol Ghul, he's imprisoned outside of the Pattern entirely. The Bore is also across the entire Pattern, it's just that it is best sensed at Shayol Ghul. So it's possible the Bore could be sensed in other locations in other world's, but for some reason I'd doubt that as the concentrated sense of him would logically, to me anyway, always be in one place in all worlds. Like if you staked up 10 pieces of paper evenly, and drilled a hole through all of them, they'd all have the hole in the same place.

As for bending a way that he could break free, the Pattern wouldn't subject itself willingly to being taken by the DO. Not unless the DO manipulated the Pattern to such a degree as to release himself. The Pattern tries to course correct itself against his manipulations, so I don't think it would decide to spin to release him, if it even could. Plus, if The DO had somehow manipulated the Pattern in to releasing him in another world, he'd be released in ALL worlds, as Verin says, so he'd be free in the world we're reading about as well as where ever it was he manipulated his freedom.

It's true currently the DO is having greater and greater influence on the Pattern, he's close to becoming free, there are only three seals left and they're weak. But the DO would enter every world at once, so to speak, so if he DID break free somewhere, he'd break free everywhere, and I think we'd know about it. Unless he was like really quite about it, and put on his ninja costume or something.

Some portion of the worlds may have some different location; since different choices can affect specifics. Other worlds may have the same location.

There could have been a chance that Verin was mistaken or that Verin was lying.

If the Pattern was a building, and each floor was a different world, and the elevator is the portal stone... Shayol Ghul would be a particular window that might have a better view outside than any of the other windows. Hell, its a big window, and the Dark One is a gust of wind outside, and as the Pattern weakens the window opens, meaning over time the Dark One can float near the window and make the paperwork fall off the desks.

Archived