DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which Rand

Stitch

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the versions of Rand do you find the 'best' overall, the easiest to relate to, or the most interesting/coolest?

• Sheepherder - After leaving the Two Rivers; not eager to leave but willing to face what comes
    • Shadowkiller - After leaving Shienar and still denying he was Dragon; just wants to be alone but there for his friends
    • Caracarn - After naming himself the Dragon and Chief of Chiefs; following the prophecies and trying to get the jump on his foes
    • 'Hard' Rand - After Dumai's wells (and later Far Madding), expanding his empire and struggling with Lewis
    • Dark Rand - After killing Sem and nearly Min; taking no nonsense from anyone
    • Rand Sedai - After his enlightenment on Dragonmount, no longer a sword
    • Dead Rand - End this loser's existence already!

So after rereading number 13 for the third time I have to ask everyone; at which stage was Rand al'Thor the most compelling for you? When did you find the character at his most compelling or easiest to relate to?

For me I have to admit that I actually preferred Rand somewhere between when he started to 'harden' himself and after he snapped with his near murder of Min; the idea that the main character might abandon the traditional characterisation of what a 'hero' is was actually quite impressive to me and I found his attitude there easiest to relate to - being told that he is fated to die for all these people who hate or fear him (and what he represents, either as a male channeler or as the Dragon Reborn) who will doubtless rejoice for his death; and if he doesn't die then the world is doomed - for me his change to a character that basically demanded that people do what he wants them to do so that he could have the best chance (as he saw it) at the last battle was completely understandable and even laudable in some respects (he could have turned to the dark one, instead the obedience he asked for was to increase the chances of light winning). In fact for me personally, up until his collapse upon facing the Seanchan he was a character I found truly enjoyable to read, however his 'enlightenment' to suddenly regain all those traditional characteristics of 'heroes' was greatly disappointing to me; perhaps its that I am slightly macabre, perhaps it was as desired by the author(s) or perhaps it was just too quickly achieved; but I found the Rand that had emerged from Dragonmount to be an 'alien' character, one with whom I cannot relate.

(EDIT: I added the Dead Rand choice after two other members voted)

I prefer dark Rand. Everytime I read Rand's storyline in TGS, I am completely mesmerized, it's like watching a truck barrelling down a crowded street you know something bad will happen but you can't help but wonder what's gonna happen next.

I love Tuon and I was impressed when she managed to break Rand's Ta'veren effect but at the back of my mind, I was hoping that Rand would do something .... "darkish" hehe

I wanted Rand to kill Min too, not because I hate Min I do not but I just wanted to see what it would do to Rand.

I so wanted Rand to kill Cadsuane or maybe one of the Aes Sedai who continue to sniff and glare at him.

I was hoping for Rand to go the black tower and do something nasty to the Ashaman tied with Taim ( not Taim himself coz I have a feeling that will be Logain's job )

Before the whole VOG thing, I sort of thought that we'll see Dark Rand fight the Dark one then fail, then get resurrected as a better Rand or the POST-VOG rand and giving it another go then succeeding.

I prefer dark Rand. Everytime I read Rand's storyline in TGS, I am completely mesmerized, it's like watching a truck barrelling down a crowded street you know something bad will happen but you can't help but wonder what's gonna happen next.

I love Tuon and I was impressed when she managed to break Rand's Ta'veren effect but at the back of my mind, I was hoping that Rand would do something .... "darkish" hehe

I wanted Rand to kill Min too, not because I hate Min I do not but I just wanted to see what it would do to Rand.

I so wanted Rand to kill Cadsuane or maybe one of the Aes Sedai who continue to sniff and glare at him.

I was hoping for Rand to go the black tower and do something nasty to the Ashaman tied with Taim ( not Taim himself coz I have a feeling that will be Logain's job )

Before the whole VOG thing, I sort of thought that we'll see Dark Rand fight the Dark one then fail, then get resurrected as a better Rand or the POST-VOG rand and giving it another go then succeeding.

Lol.. basically you would like Rand to kill someone. I actually like both Dark Rand and Rand Sedai. But Dark Rand is more fascinating, I agree with your feeling when reading tGS, I couldn´t let the book down. I was hoping for something dark to happen, well darker just because I, well enjoyed reading about Dark Rand. It would have been refreshing to see Dark Rand battle the DO, although it would be bad for the world.

As for Rand Sedai, Light, I love him too lol. I love the way he truly understands what he is now, he understands himself and has come to terms with his destiny. I´d love if he could keep some of the dark elements. It´s like he has melted the Shepherder aspect and the Dark aspect of him into Rand Sedai, and I like that.

I to like Dark Rand, but I realise that I wouldn't be able to do that if it weren't for all the other stages he had gone through by then. That's why I voted 'Hard' Rand. Seeing him trying to bent everything around him (and inside) him to his will, thinking it's for the best and in the meanwhile still klinging to a remnant of the old Rands' moral values (the litany of womens names, etc.). He was powerful back than, but not all-powerful (no balefire and stuff). He felt like he had to carry the world all on his own and that world didn't wanted to be carried. Oh and he still had his sword hand! He killed two warders and wounded a thrid with his bare hands at the wells, just because of his emotional rage. These outbursts of emotions of anger, fear,... were always a very intense read.

Which line was that? =)

"Do you believe that I could kill you, without a sword or the Power? Do you think if I wished it, that your heart would stop, by... coincedence?"

Blood-chilling.

Wow, chilling indeed. I need to reread GS xD

I voted for Rand Sedai. Rand Sedai is the payoff for Rand's character progression, a synthesis of the best qualities of each stage of Rand's growth as a character. I keep meaning to post a thread about the progression of all the characters from EF, a retrospective on how far they've come. . .

I voted for Rand Sedai. Rand Sedai is the payoff for Rand's character progression, a synthesis of the best qualities of each stage of Rand's growth as a character. I keep meaning to post a thread about the progression of all the characters from EF, a retrospective on how far they've come. . .

+1

I hope his PoV is awesome in aMoL!

dead Rand, jk, Rand Sedai, hes showing the Aes Sedai how to do it properly :P Hes also using them to do half his job for him. Egwene gathering everyone at the fields to "oppose" him is precisely what he wanted. Lets just hope it does not backfire with her trying to force her POV on him through extreme measures.

I cheated. I chose two :biggrin:

Hard Rand and Dark Rand, because one led on to the other perfectly. I think I was waiting for him to go Dark all along. I want to say Dark Rand is my favorite, but then I feel bad towards Hard Rand and vice versa.

Hard Rand because he was so badass for such a long time. Dark Rand because of how satisfying it was to finally see him be evil :baalzamon:

Rand Sedai is cool, but there are so many unanswered questions. I still miss the madness.

I've mostly loved all Rand's stages, but "hard" Rand was starting to get on my nerves. Dark Rand was difficult to read but more enjoyable too if that makes sense. I was SO happy to get Rand Sedai though. it made the hard parts worth it.

"Dark Rand" reminds me of when I was younger, although I wasn't as friendly as he was. Most boring is "Rand Sedai", by far. He comes across as no older, no wiser, just arrogant but in a calmer way than before.

Most boring is "Rand Sedai", by far. He comes across as no older, no wiser, just arrogant but in a calmer way than before.

I feel the same. Its good that Rand reached such a height, its good that he is now truly on par with the Forsaken. But...

... dare I say it?

He feels like Richard Rahl.

Dark Rand is the only way to go.

When he was sheepherder I was wishing that somebody would kill him after every page.

He only got interesting as the series progressed and he started to get harder and darker.

When he finally became dark Rand I was ecstatic. Finally an awsome Rand that will never get boring.

Rand Sedai isn't bad but he just isn't as interesting when he isn't threatening to kill people and make rooms darken.

Guest PiotrekS

I absolutely loved Rand the Car'a'carn. I generally loved the whole Aiel arc, but Rand in these scenes was absolutely awesome. So...Aiel. And true in everything he did. Authentic. And trying so hard to find his way while caring about his friends and the people who had pledged their loyalty to him.

If Rand gets resurrected (through any method), I would be interested in seeing that form of him.

I have kind of supported Rand throughout this series.

Have not yet voted. Would vote after series is finished (and after I have read all the books) if this poll is still open then.

I voted for Rand Sedai.

This aspect of Rand al`Thor is the culmination of everything concerning the Dragon Reborn that this series has been building Rand up to be. Only Rand Sedai has a chance to defeat the DO. All the other aspects of Rand would have been defeated by the DO and the world would be lost.

Archived