DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

the sa'sara

spoke

Here is what the FAQ tells about the country::

Saldaea: "a number of Middle Eastern cultures and several cultures in countries surrounding the Black Sea" (RJ) This is most directly recognizable in the "horse-culture" of Saldaea, which is evocative of many nomadic peoples of the Asian steppes. The name itself is similar to "Chaldaea," a section of the Assyrian and Babylonian empires. Place names are suggestive. Davram Bashere is "Lord of Bashere, Tyr and Sidona." Bashir was a place in Central Asia, and Tyre and Sidon were cities in modern day Lebanon, Tyre being the place of origin of "Tyrean purple." More flavorings come in their first names, such as "Tenobia," which is similar to "Zenobia," a historical queen of the ancient kingdom of Palmyra, which was in the region. Physically, Saldaeans can be seen to resemble the Mongols, excepting the red-haired, green-eyed rarities like Sheriam.

language:

Saldaean - Egyptian/North African

Saldaea: "a number of Middle Eastern cultures and several cultures in countries surrounding the Black Sea" (RJ) This is most directly recognizable in the "horse-culture" of Saldaea, which is evocative of many nomadic peoples of the Asian steppes. The name itself is similar to "Chaldaea," a section of the Assyrian and Babylonian empires. Place names are suggestive. Davram Bashere is "Lord of Bashere, Tyr and Sidona." Bashir was a place in Central Asia, and Tyre and Sidon were cities in modern day Lebanon, Tyre being the place of origin of "Tyrean purple." More flavorings come in their first names, such as "Tenobia," which is similar to "Zenobia," a historical queen of the ancient kingdom of Palmyra, which was in the region. Physically, Saldaeans can be seen to resemble the Mongols, excepting the red-haired, green-eyed rarities like Sheriam.

language:

Sorry but I kinda lost you here...

language:
Sorry but I kinda lost you here...

you lost me here also, and I thought Sheriam was Shienarian...

Sheriam, the FAQ I take was telling that Saldaea people also had red hair; not necessarily that Sheriam was from Saldaea.

Thought that the quote might give someone insight on what the dance might be equivalent to.

maybe the humans in today's world are a bit desensitized to the libidinous effects of other actual humans due to constant media bombardment with superhuman, uber-perfect, hypersexualized images?

This.

Sexy dance is much sexier when you haven't been watching sexy dance on TV since you were a toddler...

All I know is the women in Randland must be pretty pathetic dancers for the men to be so frustrated they would give up everything they have for a woman who can actually dance :biggrin:

The dance is said to make men's blood boil and brokered peace. Definitely something you'd have to pay money to see in this day and time.

The sa'sara isn't said to have caused teenage boys to sacrifice their fortunes and abondon their wars. It has had those effects on grown men. Saldaean men, which given what we know of Saldaean women....

No, it's definately something more than a dollar-in-the-g-string bump-and-grind. I vote for the 7 veils, though I can see the belly dance argument.

This thread needs pictures.

maybe the humans in today's world are a bit desensitized to the libidinous effects of other actual humans due to constant media bombardment with superhuman, uber-perfect, hypersexualized images?

It's not only that. It's also the fact that you're seeing it in person, instead of on a TV screen, and that you know you could have the dancer, if you were willing to pay the price...

The sa'sara isn't said to have caused teenage boys to sacrifice their fortunes and abondon their wars. It has had those effects on grown men. Saldaean men, which given what we know of Saldaean women....

No, it's definately something more than a dollar-in-the-g-string bump-and-grind. I vote for the 7 veils, though I can see the belly dance argument.

This thread needs pictures.

http://www.belly-dance.org/princess-banu.html

Something like that maybe.. but in my mind I want flimsy veils and scarves too =P

Archived