DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tam al'Thor (spoiler question)

Lochnar426

In Towers of Midnight Tam is in two places at the same time. In chapter 2 he is still with Perrin, but in chapter 13 he is at the Stone of Tear when Rand arrives. When Rand is introducing Tam to Min, Tam does say,"it's been three days, I've already met her". I suppose one of the Ashman could have gated him there, but what reason would Tam have for going to Tear? Is this a mistake or is one an imposter perhaps?

The Gathering storm, Towers of Midnight and the soon to be released A Memory of Light was supposed to be just one book.

When B.Sanderson got the job to finish the series, he realized that all the notes left behind by RJ could not fit in 1 book so it was decided by RJ's widow and TOR to split it into three books which presented some problems, one of which is how to split the ending to make it enjoyable. BS decided to write it in a way that would give the readers closure for each story arc - like Rand's reformation and Perrin's melodrama, in just one book so we would not be left hanging. That decision caused the timing in the story to be somewhat skewed.

Tam was with Rand back in TGS before Veins of Gold, He was fetched by Nynaeve I think. But we get to see Tam tell Perrin he had to go to Rand only in TOM. It is a little bit confusing and you have to take note of the timing via the use of the mental vision each Ta'veren has when thinking of the other two to sort of synchronize the timing in your mind.

The answer is very simple, surely?

The Gathering Storm dealt mainly with Rand and Egwene's story arcs, and Perrin got barely a mention. The Towers of Midnight, thus, had to make up for lost time for the characters missed out in TGS. Therefore, when we meet Tam in Chapter 3 of TOM, from Perrin's perspective, Tam is still with him before Veins of Gold took place in TGS. But any chapter from Rand's perspective (or anyone with Rand) has to bring us back to the present where Tam has long since left Perrin's side.

As for why he was in Tear - because that's where he was brought to Rand: they had their little chat in the Stone. Three days was probably as long as it took for Rand to have his epiphany moment. I also wonder whether he had other things to sort out before he rejoined the rest in Tear.

They show the time difference when Rand has his "vision" of Perrin talking to Galad when Perrin's story line int he book is actually right after Malden (I think...) but regardless, Perrin still hasn't met Galad in his PoV. I think they did that as kind of a foreshadowing, or a hint as to what was to happen.. but to also show that it is not taking place at the same time.

Archived