DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Geography and names

Puny

Okies, I see references to Westlands, Randland, Seanchan but does each continent have a name, and what is the whole world called?

For example, is the continent were the Seanchan live called Seanchan. What is the name for all the countries up to the Spine of the World, are they really called the Westlands offically? If not we should have a vote!

Is the Aiel and Shara considered to be one continent with two names, or two countries, and if so what are the whole area of Shara and the Aiel called? Are the Seafolk Islands called Tremalking, or are there more islands?

And finally.... what is the planet called? Is it called Earth, I don´t think we have seen any reference to that.

Discuss! =)

"Consults BWB"

"There are three major continents, and an area of ice in each polar region. Our land, the Aiel Waste and a land called Shara occupy one continent, and the Seanchan the second, much larger, which lies to the west far over the Aryth Ocean. An unnamed continent, known only from Sea Folk explorations, lies far to the south. A fourth continent may lie hidden beneath the massive ice of the southern polar region, but it is unknown and likely to remain so."

So to try an answer your question, yes the continents have names. The landmass where the Seanchan come from is called Seanchan. The southern continent is the Land of Madmen. As for the "Westlands", no offical name is given afaik.

Going by the map on page 146 of the illistrated version of the BWB it seems the Aiel Waste and Shara are the official given names.

In reguards to the Sea Folk, they have many islands, Tremalking being the largest (that we see on the map and are told of in the story).

A.

Thanks Aliriel, it seems more clear now.

so

continent 1= seanchan

continent 2= westland, aiel and shara

continent 3= unnamed that Sea Folk know about

continent 4= secret hidden in ice

But where does the Land of the Madmen fit in oO isn´t that an island...

so

continent 1= seanchan

Land of the Madmen is continent 3

so

continent 1= seanchan

Sigh... lol. Tack så mkt =)

so

continent 1= seanchan

Sigh... lol. Tack så mkt =)

Vassego=) IMO RJ only added Land of the Madmen cause it would be to little landmass around otherwise.

Randland is supposed to be planet earth after all and since its ice arounda at the poles, like it is today, not much more land could

be under water than there is today.

Land of the Madmen moste likely wont have any effect in the books (the book that is left)

I'm pretty sure RJ once said that the world had no name, because a) he didn't want it to have one and b) the people which reside upon it never thought to give it one, since they mostly believe it is the only planet.
Could you provide an exact quote and also the link?

I'm pretty sure RJ once said that the world had no name, because a) he didn't want it to have one and b) the people which reside upon it never thought to give it one, since they mostly believe it is the only planet.
Could you provide an exact quote and also the link?

No, unless I search for ages to find it, something I don't have the time to do now.

I'll look later.

Archived