DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What would happen ...

I'd say the exact same thing if an Aes Sedai brought a Ter'Angreal into a stedding. Absolutely nothing. Though generally working the power wouldn't work, that doesn't stop them from being a simple object.

THOUGH one might argue that keeping the seals in the stedding might prevent the dark ones power from corrupting or breaking them...that is, of course, assuming that the TRUE power can't be used in steddings (something I don't think that has been established or negated...maybe Rand should try).

:cool:

I'd say the exact same thing if an Aes Sedai brought a Ter'Angreal into a stedding. Absolutely nothing. Though generally working the power wouldn't work, that doesn't stop them from being a simple object.

THOUGH one might argue that keeping the seals in the stedding might prevent the dark ones power from corrupting or breaking them...that is, of course, assuming that the TRUE power can't be used in steddings (something I don't think that has been established or negated...maybe Rand should try).

Come to think of it...I bet the dark ones power can be used there. Consider when Rand sauntered into the white tower, and it is assumed that even if they blocked his use of saidan he could still access the dark ones power. I think the DO power is something separate than the use of saidar/saidan, which should substantiate (MAYBE) my previous theory.

Come to think of it...I bet the dark ones power can be used there. Consider when Rand sauntered into the white tower, and it is assumed that even if they blocked his use of saidan he could still access the dark ones power. I think the DO power is something separate than the use of saidar/saidan, which should substantiate (MAYBE) my previous theory.

Well, there is a quote from RJ that shielding somebody from the OP also shields them from the TP.

The seals are not channelling, they are created from the one power true as FOCUSES for the seals, rather than being the seals themselves, Rand's power forged blade didnt disappear, so why should the disks? Also, it is heavily implied that Far Madding's guardians do NOT block the True Power. So I would assume that the seals would not unravel (because the seals are not really 'there' instead only the disks are), also the True Power corruption of the seals would continue (because the TP still works).

The TP is also blocked by a stedding, which is in part why trollocs don't willingly enter a stedding - they have some part of the TP in them and going into the stedding is uncomfortable.

I believe it was once answered that stedding's block the TP as well (shields certainly do, as stated above). The guardian's do not block the TP because they are an imperfect Ter'angreal recreation of what a stedding does, someone outside the guardian can use the OP to affect something inside the guardian directly (ie call down lightning). Steddings, on the other hand, prevent this (the only way for a stedding to be influenced by the TP, as occurred during the breaking, is to create a volcano beside one, or otherwise change the area around it in such a way it will affect the stedding on its own.

The seals are simply focus points, physical objects that act as a center(like how someone might balance a ball while in deep thought, to give their mind something to focus on). But the seals themselves are not truly physical objects, a stedding would probably be unable to affect anything about the seals at all.

Come to think of it...I bet the dark ones power can be used there.

+1

Well, there is a quote from RJ that shielding somebody from the OP also shields them from the TP.

And there is also an in-book example of Rand being blocked from saidin but not the True Power. A shield is not the only way to stop someone channeling, as we have seen. A SHIELD might stop them from using the True Power, but a Stedding is not a shield.

exactly. A stedding simply cuts off access to the OP and to the TP but it can not do anything to objects already made with some use of the power. It won't affect the seals in the same way it won't affect a power wrought sword like Rand's for example which was certainly none worse for wear after being in a stedding.

But stedding does block TP as other have mentioned. Here is an interview quote about that.

Knife of Dreams book tour 20 October 2005 – Robert Mee reporting

Stedding: Neither the One Power NOR the True Power will work in a stedding.

Far Madding ter'angreal is different from a real stedding and it apparently won't block TP.

Now that's an interesting point. However, The DO is working on breaking the seals from outside the Pattern so I would think it should not matter where inside the Pattern the seals are located. This is just a guess, however. It's pretty clear that this is something that won't be tried in the story so we'll likely never find out.

I've always looked at the seals as being objects of the Pattern. Lews Therin and the Companions may have used the OP to lock away the DO and used the seals as foci of the OP, but now they are part of the Pattern. As objects of the Pattern I do not think they would be affected by a stedding. After all, Perrin's abilities as a wolfbrother are manifestations of the Pattern, not the OP, and he is perfectly fine in a stedding.

Steddings I would guess would have no effect on the Seals. And that the Seals would have no effect on steddings.

Not sure whether the Dark One could directly access steddings (ie miasma/ghosts/etc).

These things are probably "Read And Find Out".

Well we know his minions (shadowspawn) can, but must be cooerced into doing so; so while its uncomfortable or unpleasant its possible - though that could be because the flesh acts as a buffer - Im not sure; in any case, while it is possible that the stedding may impair the One Power and even the True Power, there is nothing to suggest that such resistance cannot be overcome by sheer brute force (such as Mat getting zapped by lightning regardless of the fox medalion, or Rand breaking free of Elayne's + Egwene's and Alanna + Verin's shields) or else through some sort of cunning (such as the 'Pools' used by Cadsuane (sp?) and Nynavae(sp?) to overcome the Far Madding Guardian, or the 'knot picking' used by Rand at Dumai Wells); in either case, I think the DO would still be able to use his powers there, though perhaps with some limitations (until he messed up the pattern enough anyway); its quite likely that he could not do so while the seals where relatively intact, however as they degrade this limitation would disappear.

Archived