DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ta'veren Question

I felt like Ta'veren was bending the three of them, and their multitude of followers, toward the last battle. Once there, shouldn't it be done with them or will it bend them on to victory and if so, then what stake does a neutral pattern have in making sure the Dragon Reborn wins?

Wheels and patterns, RJ certainly knew how to milk a metaphor.

I felt like Ta'veren was bending the three of them, and their multitude of followers, toward the last battle. Once there, shouldn't it be done with them or will it bend them on to victory and if so, then what stake does a neutral pattern have in making sure the Dragon Reborn wins?

Wheels and patterns, RJ certainly knew how to milk a metaphor.

I think you have gotten your Ta'veren and pattern mixed. Wheel weaves pattern and people are part of that pattern(threads). Around some people, pattern is much more tightly bound and these people are called Ta'verens. Pattern creates Ta'verens and pattern is not neutral. And no, pattern cannot assure victory.

I think the strength of their ta'veren-ness will decrease significantly after TG, but they'll always be ta'veren. Right now Rand is pretty much the personified light and Perrin and Mat are also playing big roles for the finale that they can hardly be denied.

The Pattern makes someone a ta'veren to help fix the Pattern and they remain ta'veren just as long as they are required in that role. It would be very strange indeed if their taver'en natures helped to deliver Rand, Mat and Perrin to the LB like a taxi and then just left them there to sink and swim as they will. The Pattern is trying to prevent its own destruction and it will keep them ta'veren at least as long as they are needed for that particular task.

There are also multiple indications in the books that this is what's going to happen.

What happens after the LB is anybody's guess. Some or any of them might stop being ta'veren. Being ta'veren is not necessarily for life - it only lasts as long as the Pattern needs it. I would guess that at least Mat will remain ta'veren as RJ planned a sequel about him. Rand might stop being one. His part will certainly be done after the LB is over.

The Pattern makes someone a ta'veren to help fix the Pattern and they remain ta'veren just as long as they are required in that role. It would be very strange indeed if their taver'en natures helped to deliver Rand, Mat and Perrin to the LB like a taxi and then just left them there to sink and swim as they will. The Pattern is trying to prevent its own destruction and it will keep them ta'veren at least as long as they are needed for that particular task.

There are also multiple indications in the books that this is what's going to happen.

What happens after the LB is anybody's guess. Some or any of them might stop being ta'veren. Being ta'veren is not necessarily for life - it only lasts as long as the Pattern needs it. I would guess that at least Mat will remain ta'veren as RJ planned a sequel about him. Rand might stop being one. His part will certainly be done after the LB is over.

From what I understand the pattern uses them until its 'done' with them. Whether they die or not isn't the point... though I think it'd be admittedly hard to accomplish what the pattern wants dead. And once its done with you you live on your merry lives, though from what I saw this was generally accomplished by the ta'veren dying.

Archived