DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's hand

brolie

So I'm finally starting Gathering Storm, so I might just have to wait this out and see if it actually happens, but couldn't Rand use balefire on Semmi to get his hand back? If I'm jumping the gun on making a thread and should just wait and read more, I will gladly shut my mouth, just lemme know... BUT I thought that would be a good reason to use balefire for just a moment. Kill a Forsaken, and get his hand back. Two birds. One stone.

Rand could have used balefire to kill Semi and recover his hand (although the more time that passes, the more balefire would be needed and the greater the damage to the Pattern). Of course, why Rand doesn't use this course of action is clear, with his refusal to kill women and the fact he doesn't care about the missing hand.

I tend to forget to think of Semmi as a woman haha. And yeah I thought balefire worked that the longer you hold it on the person, the more time gets erased. And as far as I've read, she hasn't really affected much else to be changed since in captivity. Anyway, okay. I'll just keep reading. Just thought about that when the book kept mentioning the lost hand, I was like "okay guys, we need to fix this hand situation"...

It's not really the longer you use it on them...... any person hit by balefire will still cease to exist (in the past) the instant they're hit. Rather it's the amount of power used and how "strong" the balefire is. For instance Be'lal and Rahvin both died the instant they were struck by balefire even though Be'lal took a few seconds to disappear due to the weakness of Moiraine's balefire and Rahvin disappeared immediately upon being struck by Rand's most powerful balefire to date.

As to Rand balefiring Semi to get his hand back...... Referring back to Rahvin. Rand killed him with the most powerful balefire he could make at the time aided with the fat man angreal and that only took time back what? Twenty, thirty minutes tops? Granted Rand has increased in strength since then but we're still talking days if not weeks since Semi was captured.

Beyond that RAFO. :P

I thought Moiraine said something about the amount of time you use it when the Dark hounds attack Mat and because Rand only was able to use it for a second, there was still some evidences but not all. Wish I could remember what book and where, but it was a while ago that I read that part

This was speculated about before the release of Gathering Storm.

Rand's first Gathering Storm POV is a considerable amount of time after the incident.

Which I take is beyond the time to "safely" get his hand back.

There is a significant change in Rand's opinion during this book.

I thought Moiraine said something about the amount of time you use it when the Dark hounds attack Mat and because Rand only was able to use it for a second, there was still some evidences but not all. Wish I could remember what book and where, but it was a while ago that I read that part

Nah, Mat's arm was still messed up because the Balefire Rand used wasn't quite strong enough. It erased most of what the darkhounds did, but one of them still managed to claw through the door and get a drop of saliva on him

There, see? I can be helpful.cool.gif

He has no use of it. Say he trips and falls and needs his hand to soften his landing.. well why bother using his hand? He can just will the earth into candy floss :biggrin:. Facing a deadly opponent with a sword? Just him into a Carebare by sheer force of will.

quite honestly, i just want it fixed because its annoying. it gets brought up like 18 times a paragraph... im over exaggerating but still. like how it has to talk about the swirl of images when one of the boys thinks about another, or how if nynaeve is angry, there is always a mention of the braid, or the aes sedai emotionless faces... the bloody dice.. the hand just joined the group of things that are overdone and over mentioned... i just want him to get it back, BUT then i know that it will turn into "looking at his hand, still not used to it being there again" or something of the sorts..

anyway... ill stop ranting.

quite honestly, i just want it fixed because its annoying. it gets brought up like 18 times a paragraph... im over exaggerating but still. like how it has to talk about the swirl of images when one of the boys thinks about another, or how if nynaeve is angry, there is always a mention of the braid, or the aes sedai emotionless faces... the bloody dice.. the hand just joined the group of things that are overdone and over mentioned... i just want him to get it back, BUT then i know that it will turn into "looking at his hand, still not used to it being there again" or something of the sorts..

anyway... ill stop ranting.

Hey, I quite liked the swirls!

haha i think they ignored it for too long. i dont like it when i can predict something like that in the book but when mat thought about perrin, i sighed and sure enough when i read on, the colors were going at it! eh...

I don't have the book in front of me but I believe in Rand's POV he said (or thought) he used the smallest weave he could and made sure each cut off as soon as it hit the darkhound so as to not go through and hit Mat. Afterwards Moiraine pulled him aside to explain about balefire and said the stronger it was the further back a thread was burned. The applicable lines are in TSR before they left Rhuidean.

So anyone with a book handy want to provide some quotes?

Even having the book it was in is handy. I'll bust it out when I get home from work. It's actually been bothering me haha. I've thought about googling things to get an idea of where it might be so I will gladly look that up

Archived