DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will Rand die in AMOL

kilika

Will Rand die in AMOL?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rand die in AMOL

Based entirely on this beautiful quote from Robert Jordan I say that Rand will die at the end of the final book.

"He came like the wind, like the wind touched everything, and like the wind, was gone."

Makes me well up every time I read that quote.

I reckon he'll die, definitely. Before the DO business. Theres too much foreshadowing for me to not believe it, and too many ways for him to return. Balefiring the killer, the T'A'R thing, picking his soul out of the pool waiting for rebirth like was done with the Nym (although that may very well be the same as the T'A'R thing, however I would prefer to link the Nym thing with Nynaeves thought about Healing someone three days dead)

I'm starting to believe Terez's theory that Rand will actually die early on in aMoL, but then will make a comeback partway into the book before the final confrontation. At least, I think that's her theory?

Either way, I actually like that and I really think that he may die twice in the final book.

isn't there somewhere that says twice he will live and twice he will die? I think a lot of people are taking that to mean Rand will die twice in AMoL. So possible live (as he is now), die, live again then die a final death after the sealing

I'm starting to believe Terez's theory that Rand will actually die early on in aMoL, but then will make a comeback partway into the book before the final confrontation. At least, I think that's her theory?

Either way, I actually like that and I really think that he may die twice in the final book.

I don't think he will die again after he's resurrected - the clues seem to indicate that he will instead go into hiding.

I think Rand will die at the end of aMoL but perhaps there will be an epilogue where you can see him spun out again in a different form yet he retains Rand as a voice? Like LTT's voice in Rand's head for some time?

Based entirely on this beautiful quote from Robert Jordan I say that Rand will die at the end of the final book.

"He came like the wind, like the wind touched everything, and like the wind, was gone."

Makes me well up every time I read that quote.

as others have noted it's likely not quite as simple as that and your actual poll question asks something different. Many people (myself included) think that Rand will die in aMoL and then be resurrected somehow before the end. That I'm quite sure of. But I'm not sure what will happen to Rand at the very end of the book.

He might die again or he might go off somewhere like Jesus did after his resurrection. I'm certain that he won't stick around though. I don't see him living incognito in the Two Rivers or any other place in Randlands. IMO, If he leaves it will be more permanent - to a parallel world maybe. He could go with the Ogier for example, when they open the book of translation. That might happen some time early in the next age. The Ogier are totally absent from Avi's visions, not that this proves anything. On the other hand, there are references to Loial's future book so the Ogier will be around for at least a little while.

Rand might die the second time and for good at the end of the book but I rather think he won't. I think that this is a foreshadowing:

"It doesn't matter," Tam continued. "Rand, I think you can survive this. I can't imagine that the Pattern won't give you some peace, considering the service you're doing for us all.

-tGS, Ch 47

isn't there somewhere that says twice he will live and twice he will die? I think a lot of people are taking that to mean Rand will die twice in AMoL. So possible live (as he is now), die, live again then die a final death after the sealing

I've interpreted that as Rand 'dying' (as Darth Rand) on DM in VoG, and being 'resurrected' as Rand Sedai. I think he will die a second time, but physically.

The Prophecies seem to indicate Rand dying during Tarmon Gaidon.

Whether he would stay dead would depend at least on how many Viewings/Dreams/Foretellings/etc he has left to fulfill.

If any are left, his resurrection would be certain.

Rand's final death would be after all of them are fulfilled.

There's just too much foreshadowing that he'll survive for me to think that he's really going to die. Be it resurrection of some kind, body swap, or just a faked death, he's going to survive. The prophesies SEEM to Rand that he's going to die, but there always seems like there's more to it that he's not getting. Plus just the fact that he's so convinced he's going to die makes me think that he isn't.

How can I win the Last Battle and survive?

The north and the east must be as one. The west and the south must be as one. The two must be as one. If you would live, you must die.

He will die, and somehow live again. Everybody gets reborn, so that can't be what they were talking about. It would have been redundant to mention rebirth.

I think there is probably going to be a body-swap at some point. I don't know whether that's got anything to do with the "dying" part, or whether it's unrelated.

There's just too much foreshadowing that he'll survive for me to think that he's really going to die. Be it resurrection of some kind, body swap, or just a faked death, he's going to survive. The prophesies SEEM to Rand that he's going to die, but there always seems like there's more to it that he's not getting. Plus just the fact that he's so convinced he's going to die makes me think that he isn't.
Prophecy never lies. If Prophecy tells something, nothing can contradict the something.

Edit::

As for the manner of Rand's return (if it happens), I hope that it is with his own body.

-Balefire

-a technique similar to construct making

"Twice and twice shall he be marked,

twice to live and twice to die.

Once the heron, to set his path.

Twice the heron, to name him true.

Once the Dragon, for remembrance lost.

Twice the Dragon, for the price he must pay."

"Twice dawns the day when his blood is shed.

Once for mourning, once for birth.

Red on black, the Dragon's blood stains the rock of Shayol Ghul.

In the Pit of Doom shall his blood free men from the Shadow." --tGH ch. 26

"The lion sword, the dedicated spear, she who sees beyond. Three on the boat, and he who is dead yet lives. The great battle done, but the world not done with battle. The land divided by the return, and the guardians balance the servants. The future teeters on the edge of a blade." - LoC ch. 14
"The north and the east must be as one. The west and the south must be as one. The two must be as one. If you would live, you must die."

Doesn't it seem like every bit of prophecy or foretelling that mentions his death also mentions life? Just saying.

We know that the dead heroes called by the Horn of Valere are familiar with LTT. Could Rand die early in the book and be called back by the Horn for TG?
If Rand died any time before Tarmon Gaidon, the soul could probably be called by the Horn; though the body could probably be of any incarnation of the soul or of like an amalgamation of all its incarnations.

Yet if Rand died before Tarmon Gaidon, I doubt that the remaining Karaethon Cycle could be fulfilled.

Archived