DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Should I eat the cookie or the cake

Puny

23 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do about my problem?

• You are a good girl, so be patient!
    • You are just pretending to be good, so go grab ToM!

Okies.. so I´m on my re-read and I´m 250 pages into CoS. I haven´t read the last books in a couple of years now.

Now... I haven´t read ToM yet and just got my hands on it. Should I be a good girl and read all the other books before I start ToM, or should I be a bad girl, and just start reading ToM. I´m worried that I will spoil the awesomeness that is ToM if I skip the build-up?

I always re-read before the new book. It keeps the plotlines/characters fresh in your mind and makes the resolutions better in the new book because you see how they all weave together and it helps to remember why certain things were significant.

Ask yourself one question before you do anything: What would Logain want you to do? :wink:

No, seriously, when I first read books like TPoD & CoT, I found them rather dull, but now, when there's more stuff happening, I like them better. In retrospect and in theory anyway. The slow pace of those books makes the two last entries feel like a freight train loaded with action, maybe going too fast at times - some plotlines have been very hastily resolved. But the overall feeling is good - we're finally gonna find out what will happen in the end. But of course, there are no endings...

So be a good girl, if you can manage that! It will pay off in this case, that's my opinion.

But of course, that's easy for me to say. I'm an A-Z kind of guy, I don't like skipping boring parts - first things first. I love all the details of this huge world that is The WoT. And I prefer cookies, too. :biggrin:

Ask yourself one question before you do anything: What would Logain want you to do? :wink:

No, seriously, when I first read books like TPoD & CoT, I found them rather dull, but now, when there's more stuff happening, I like them better. In retrospect and in theory anyway. The slow pace of those books makes the two last entries feel like a freight train loaded with action, maybe going too fast at times - some plotlines have been very hastily resolved. But the overall feeling is good - we're finally gonna find out what will happen in the end. But of course, there are no endings...

So be a good girl, if you can manage that! It will pay off in this case, that's my opinion.

But of course, that's easy for me to say. I'm an A-Z kind of guy, I don't like skipping boring parts - first things first. I love all the details of this huge world that is The WoT. And I prefer cookies, too. :biggrin:

Light, I forgot about Logain! :sad: He will not be happy about that...

Hmm I think I will be a good girl and do as Logain wants. Have patience and all that. Cause tbh, like in tGS I only remember the big things happening, everything else is a blur so I guess Ima wait. And as Mark Grayson said you do keep plotlines fresh and I need a refreshing.

Hael Me: I think you are from the land of hard dried up bread, rotten, stinky fish and polkagrisar. Or am I just imagining?

Hmm I think I will be a good girl and do as Logain wants. Have patience and all that. Cause tbh, like in tGS I only remember the big things happening, everything else is a blur so I guess Ima wait. And as Mark Grayson said you do keep plotlines fresh and I need a refreshing.

Hael Me: I think you are from the land of hard dried up bread, rotten, stinky fish and polkagrisar. Or am I just imagining?

Sometimes it's easy to be a good girl, it seems... :biggrin:

And you are correct. I come from that very land. And since you didn't mention polar bears or cuckoo clocks, I suspect that you're from this part of the world, too.

you are neither good nor bad based on what you read when. but since you seem to like thinking you're a bad girl, you know what you really want to do. G-d loves you either way. edit - (um, meant that humerously, not insane cultishly. just read what you want :blush: )

Another thing to do might be to let chance decide. Maybe a coin flip; one side being you re-read the series, other side being you read Towers of Midnight.

In relation to thread title, I guess cookie means the new book and cake the whole series. Or is it the other way around?

Another thing to do might be to let chance decide. Maybe a coin flip; one side being you re-read the series, other side being you read Towers of Midnight.

In relation to thread title, I guess cookie means the new book and cake the whole series. Or is it the other way around?

Indeed, the cookie is the new book and cake the whole. xD Chance decide...well that is a way too but I guess ima wait. Light, I´ve waited for books for years I guess I can wait a month or too. But I´m not liking it, lol.

And you are correct. I come from that very land. And since you didn't mention polar bears or cuckoo clocks, I suspect that you're from this part of the world, too.

Indeed. But why someone would mention cuckoo clocks. May the Light burn the Swiss! Lol. What city are you from? Im from Jönköping =).

you are neither good nor bad based on what you read when. but since you seem to like thinking you're a bad girl, you know what you really want to do. G-d loves you either way. edit - (um, meant that humerously, not insane cultishly. just read what you want :blush: )

It´s not about what I read, but if you obey or not =O. I know God loves me, it´s not Her I´m worried about lol.

Oh and sorry about the double-post.

I have, ever since I started reading WoT, read the new books as soon as they are out. Did the same with ToM, and only started my first reread recently, to be prepared for the Grand Finale. If you have read tGS I don't think you will spoil anything reading ToM.

re-read for sure.

You will enjoy the book much better with everything fresh in mind, all the wounds and joys present, not a distant memory of the past.

So be a good girl, stay strong!!!

If you cant, I would read at least KoD and tGS again before ToM. tGS you just HAVE to read before it.

I fully support the full re-read. It's good to remember what's going on. Lots of stuff happens from ACoS to TGS obviously, and the fresher these things are in your mind, the more you'll enjoy ToM in my opinion. It's not like AMoL is going to be coming out soon or anything (which I'm kind of happy about actually, since Brandon seems to be working hard to make it as good as it can be).

Maybe skip Hinderstap.

Indeed. But why someone would mention cuckoo clocks. May the Light burn the Swiss! Lol. What city are you from? Im from Jönköping =).

I've heard that a lot when travelling abroad and talking to people about our forsaken country - cheese and cuckoo clocks and polar bears and a high suicide rate. The government should advertise more!

Jönköping, that is like the Amador of our country, is it not? I'm from the strange city that is a mixture of Maule, The Rahad and The Perfumed Quarter, rough port districts. Göteborg it's called in our native tongue.

Re-read it is. I´m curious how I will see CoT and KoD and PoD now. I remember them being abit dull and slow but I think that´s because I don´t remember so much of what happened, lol... just bits and pieces.

Hael Me: Indeed it is Amador, and white cloaks are everywhere. But I don´t mind them. Most of them are not so zealous. :tongue:

That was a good description of Göteborg. I lived there too! Well, one min from it. I was living in Mölndal when I worked in Mölnlycke, just near the border. Heja Sverige! =P

All depends on the flavour's.

That being said, if they're both chocolate then whats the harm in having both the cookies AND the cake?

... Damnit... Now I want cookies and cake.... "goes off to hunt through the baking tins"

A.

It's up to you.

If you want to skip all the boring BS, go ahead and continue on with your re-read. Once Elayne returns to Camelyn, skip over every chapter with her. Also skip over every chapter with Perrin and Fail. You'll skip over the biggest grind of boring stuff and you'll miss nothing essential to the plot.

Boring or not depends entirely on the person. What is boring to one person might not be boring to another.

Other chapters talk of the mentioned characters. Reading their scenes may help a reader to understand those other chapters.

Archived