DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Whats a great name?

OK I'm dm'ing some real life rpg's here... and coming up with a name of a 'church' (cult, whatever) loosely based off the wheel of time series.

The key is it has to fit into a modern setting and 'avoid' local prejudice, hatred, etc..

The only name I came up with so far is 'church of the light of creation' or 'Tower of the sisters fellowship' or somesuch

Help me come up with some interesting names. :rolleyes:

When you say based off the WoT series, do you mean a church dedicated to the worship of the series, or a church that follows an ideology of an organization or idea found within the WoT series. If your answer is the second, then which ideology does this church follow: the White Tower's, the White Cloak's, Trolloc ideology, the Forsaken's worship of the DO, the anticipation of the Coramoor/He Who Comes With The Dawn/The Dragon Reborn, etc?

The Brotherhood of Balance

The Church of Light and Dark

The Way of Light (Or, make that their book, and have Galad read it... :biggrin: )

The Turners of the Wheel

The Fellowship of Balance

Any variation of these, really (the Fellowship of the Wheel, the Brotherhood of Light and Dark/etc)

Good luck!

Dang... for some reason I am very interested in this post.

If you wish to have a church that emulates the White Tower, then it could be called the "Bastion of the Firm Hand," named thusly since the overweaning purpose of the White Tower seems to be asserting order over the lands. It's funny, but the WT in no way worships the Light. Oh, Aes Sedai say they are servants of the Light, but nothing they do is done for the Light. Instead, everything they seem to do is for the survival of the Westlands. Now, in doing so the Aes Sedai do seem to find themselves opposed to Shadowspawn and other forces of the DO, but that is merely because the DO is a force of entropy while the WT is a force for order. It's just convenient that in saying they oppose the DO they can draw a correlation and imply they are servants of the Light.

If you really think about it, really the only religion in the world belongs to the Children of the Light. Of course, even with them they do not so much submit to the Light as root out and destroy enemies of it (as they define those enemies).

Dang... for some reason I am very interested in this post.

If you wish to have a church that emulates the White Tower, then it could be called the "Bastion of the Firm Hand," named thusly since the overweaning purpose of the White Tower seems to be asserting order over the lands. It's funny, but the WT in no way worships the Light. Oh, Aes Sedai say they are servants of the Light, but nothing they do is done for the Light. Instead, everything they seem to do is for the survival of the Westlands. Now, in doing so the Aes Sedai do seem to find themselves opposed to Shadowspawn and other forces of the DO, but that is merely because the DO is a force of entropy while the WT is a force for order. It's just convenient that in saying they oppose the DO they can draw a correlation and imply they are servants of the Light.

If you really think about it, really the only religion in the world belongs to the Children of the Light. Of course, even with them they do not so much submit to the Light as root out and destroy enemies of it (as they define those enemies).

Bastion of the firm hand...gee..you wouldn't know the first thing that popped into my head on that one lol.

Actually... when I mean 'sorta based on the wheel of time'.. You guys are hitting it pretty good. A 'cult' dedicated to preserving the world after the inevitable breaking.

You know...since most church groups seem to be paranoid and fixated on the worlds end, why not try to set up one for what happens AFTER this supposed event. Of course if it all ends in a huge fireball..well my plan would be a huge spaceship. However, barring the advent of interstellar technology, a magical gateway would suffice in a fantasy world lol.

I've actually thought about forming a npo based on this too :biggrin: But *that* endeavor will be slightly more complicated than doing a rpg with this at its theme.

Oh and we already have the children of the light...it was the 16th century roman catholic church.

Inevitably I think the actual white tower...put into a modern fantasy (think shadowrun & ad&d mix) context..would be ultimately like a non-profit organization with a few oddities. For one, they are known to dabble in politics. I believe thats against the IRS npo standards (in the USA). Another, the tower seems to 'loan' money to the Aes Sedai, as was observed by Moraine doaling out cash when needed (which I always wonder how much money and finances DOES the white tower have access to??). Reason why I say its like a non-for-profit is there is a bookkeeper (the keeper), the director (amyrlin), and a board of directors (sitters). Internal audits are done by the sitters, though its a bit sketchy what their board rules are. These seem to be based mostly on research, acquisition of political power, and maintaining structures / training.

I would imagine the finances come from the individual members support (Aes Sedai that come from richer families), and taxes garnished from Tar Valon populace, and gifts from political people like kings/kingdoms..in effect a city-state government much like the vatican in Rome. Their mission purpose? Well, besides fighting for the light (an admittedly limited function of theirs), I would say mostly it is to increase the members by seeking out potential candidates.

What else would you include? Hopefully you can see where I'm headed with this lol.

When you say based off the WoT series, do you mean a church dedicated to the worship of the series, or a church that follows an ideology of an organization or idea found within the WoT series. If your answer is the second, then which ideology does this church follow: the White Tower's, the White Cloak's, Trolloc ideology, the Forsaken's worship of the DO, the anticipation of the Coramoor/He Who Comes With The Dawn/The Dragon Reborn, etc?

Nothing is worse than whitecloaks imho. I feel they're worse than the forsaken. At least until Galad became their leader.

Kinda like the dad that goes to church, shouts amen, and goes home & beats his wife & molests his kids.

Well if you are looking for a cult name then how about threads of fate or followers of the morninglord (it would be good to remind them that light does not equal good) ?

OK I'm dm'ing some real life rpg's here...

D&D? If so what edition?

There are other pnp rpgs than D&D you know... :p

Well if you are looking for a cult name then how about threads of fate or followers of the morninglord (it would be good to remind them that light does not equal good) ?

D&D? If so what edition?

Doesnt negate the question though does it? I was asking if he played the one I am most familiar with out of interest.

the library of universal enlightenment?

um, cause i think a library's more in keeping with the spirit of the work than a church, because there's universal enlightenment and all.

and maybe the word enlightenment will make it churchy enough for your purposes?

or maybe the museum of spiritual prehistory? for the same reason?

D&D? If so what edition?

Doesnt negate the question though does it? I was asking if he played the one I am most familiar with out of interest.

I'm a girl thanks for noticing :elayne: lol.

Anyways, its not exactly AD&D more a 20sided dice rpg based 'loosely' off of AD&D (2nd ed) and shadowrun enveironment.

I've played OLD school D&D, then ad&d 2nd ed, then 3rd ed, then 3.5. Haven't played the latest yet.

Also i've played shadowrun, star wars, and some others that I'm not recalling at the moment lol.

Yes I'm a major nerd :biggrin:

Also I play online MMORPG's, from the start played dransik, eq1, eq2, UO original, WoW, horizons, new horizons, and a bunch of others that once again I forget.

In reality though these aren't my passion. My true passion is real life and instituting changes as I imagine them. One reason I love studying microbiology, nursing, computer science, and the occult. Yah i know i'm wierd, but then again so what is 'normal' anyways.

The Holy Community of the One Power.

That's my suggestion. Sounds rather cool, me thinks. I would join that one even though I'm somewhat of a heathen...

I do like the name of that one... I'll think on it.

Be my guest, It's all yours if you want it! :smile:

Nothing is worse than whitecloaks imho. I feel they're worse than the forsaken. At least until Galad became their leader.

Kinda like the dad that goes to church, shouts amen, and goes home & beats his wife & molests his kids.

Why? The whitecloaks are one of the surviving establishments which serve as a bulwark to fight against the Shadow. They also were among the few to free themselves of the yokels of manipulation often thrust out onto the world by channeling consortiums such as the WT.

Why? The whitecloaks are one of the surviving establishments which serve as a bulwark to fight against the Shadow. They also were among the few to free themselves of the yokels of manipulation often thrust out onto the world by channeling consortiums such as the WT.

Lol touche... Spoken suspiciously like something a whitecloak spy would say in farmers clothing :cool:

To each their own though hehe

Lol reminds me of those Westboro Baptist people. *shakes head*

Church of the Unified Breaking?

Cult of Preservation?

Cult of Skaro?

Society of Preservation maybe instead of cult.

Oh man, I love the cult of skaro lol.

Too bad its taken ^^ I also love Dr. Who, awesome sci-fi.

Scary ageing me like this but....I saw the ORIGINAL dr. who in black & white.

Old looking dude too.

Wow that was a long time ago.

Archived