DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

ToM Prologue

I thought the ToM Prologue was pretty alright.

To me Sanderson appears to have a better time when it comes to characters that haven't already had an established voice and/or mannerisms. Obviously, where I think, he runs into issues is with folks with whom we've constantly experienced in their point of view, their mannerisms, patterns of speech, and they've maintained consistent screen time...although that much is clear regardless of comment.

Hence, with the aforementioned Prologue, the scene comes off pretty well - I enjoyed it.

There was a sustained democracy in Randland.

Which sovereign nation practiced democracy? I know that lots of places had mayors, and some had councils or similar that voted for rulers, but none that had national level democracy.

My point is that RJ went with Monarchy and feudalism because Randland isn't in a position for democracy to be a viable mode of government for a nation, and I gave a guess as to why.

its arguable that andor is semi democratic since the high seats of various houses vote in the queen

There was a sustained democracy in Randland.

Which sovereign nation practiced democracy? I know that lots of places had mayors, and some had councils or similar that voted for rulers, but none that had national level democracy.

My point is that RJ went with Monarchy and feudalism because Randland isn't in a position for democracy to be a viable mode of government for a nation, and I gave a guess as to why.

its arguable that andor is semi democratic since the high seats of various houses vote in the queen

I mentioned that some had councils or similar that voted for rulers. That's not that democratic. In Andor less than 20 people get to vote for the Queen? That's rather large disenfranchisement.

Archived