DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Talmanes

Kara

I am reading Chapter 20 in tGS. Mat's POV, thinking about Talmanes "...there seemed to be a twinkle in the nobleman's eyes, as if he were laughing at the world..." Mat goes on to observe how dressed up Talmanes is and that he had great taste in wine. Next, Mat thinks about the gold rimmed pipe Talmanes is using and wonders where he got it as Mat did not remember him having it before.

This smells funny to me, but I can't figure out what exactly is going on...thoughts??

I am reading Chapter 20 in tGS. Mat's POV, thinking about Talmanes "...there seemed to be a twinkle in the nobleman's eyes, as if he were laughing at the world..." Mat goes on to observe how dressed up Talmanes is and that he had great taste in wine. Next, Mat thinks about the gold rimmed pipe Talmanes is using and wonders where he got it as Mat did not remember him having it before.

This smells funny to me, but I can't figure out what exactly is going on...thoughts??

Talmandred!

I am reading Chapter 20 in tGS. Mat's POV, thinking about Talmanes "...there seemed to be a twinkle in the nobleman's eyes, as if he were laughing at the world..." Mat goes on to observe how dressed up Talmanes is and that he had great taste in wine.

What exactly is wrong about having a great taste in wine or a sense of humor? Talmanes is clearly as positive a character as you can find in the series. BS did change his character somewhat (gave him a sense of humor) but he did so with every single character in the book and most to a much larger degree than Talmanes.

Next, Mat thinks about the gold rimmed pipe Talmanes is using and wonders where he got it as Mat did not remember him having it before.

The pipe is the one Roedran gave Talmanes as a gift for his services. It's mentioned in KoD when Mat and Talmanes reunite. Mat just forgot. Terez has a big theory about that pipe. She thinks that Roedran is Demandred and he put a Finder weave on the pipe of the kind Moiraine put on the coins she gave Mat, Rand and Perrin in tEoTW and Elayne used the same on Hark in ToM.

Talmanes is a solid right hand man for Mat. He's dependable and loyal. When I picture Mat and Talmanes, I can't help but see them as the Penn and Teller of WOT :biggrin:

One thing I have always wondered though is that since Talmanes is a Cairheinen (sp?), and we were told that those people plays the Game of Houses as a matter of habit - why is it that we never see that kind of attitude / behavior from Talmanes?

Well you see, I'm a bit more laid back than some Cairhiens, but mostly it's because I trust Mat, and would much rather go find an enemy to battle than play The Game of Houses. It's just my nature, and The Game doesn't have much of a point when you are camped out with an army verses actually being in the city.

Archived