DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Anyone else gradually come to like Nynaeve?

Really?Fair enough, I can see your point. I agree with you, she does seem better from Rand's PoV later in the series. But I still feel from Mat (as you mentioned) ELayne and Egwene it makes it a lot worse.

In regards to the "men are fools" bit, thats certainly true, for me, however, I didn't mind. All of tthe women basically think that to themselves, so i am kind of immune to it. :biggrin:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my first read through I disliked Nynaeve (and *shock-horror* Egwene was my favourite character. In my defence, I was only 10 at the time...) but since KoD of my first read-through respect started to come in for Nynaeve and when I did my 2nd read through, I LOVED Nynaeve and her awesome character. :nynaeve:

Indeed- I don't remember the exact book, but doesn't Elayne think to herself at one point that she would like to have Nynaeve as her Aes Sedai advisor when she becomes queen? I doubt the thought would have occured to her if she didn't like and respect Nynaeve.

As far as the viewpoints go- I think character's own POV can be both very enlightening and very damaging. I mean, we see their innermost thoughts, and not all of them are nice ones. We have pretty much every woman in the story thinking about what fools men are, we see Nynaeve being stubborn, Perrin thinking the world can go to hell, Mat eyeing up every woman he comes across and talking himself into believing its for his friends now that he is married, Gawyn throwing many a mental strop, and don't even get me started on Egwene. But at the same time, it gives you a good glimpse into their motives, and I think, in some cases, its a positive thing. I mean, to me it was apparent that Nynaeve, past all the bluster and stubbornness, which can prove both a strength and a flaw as far as her character goes, will act to protect those in need. Seeing other people recognise it is nice, and its true that we can judge on actions alone when looking from another characters viewpoint, but then that in turn may be coloured by how other people see the events.

I wouldn't say, however, that any of the other characters POVs are particularly damning about Nynaeve, IMO. Her own POV is both her own worst critic- as well as the aforementioned character traits, she criticises herself frequently in some parts of the story- and her best friend- we can see that she cares for the Emond's Fielders, we can see why she summons Balefire and helps the people during her AS test, and so on.

Actually I think Nynaeve often looks a better person when seen from the PoV of others (except Mat, who's really not a fan of her ;)) than from her own. You don't get her usual "Men are useless fools" type of thoughts, for one thing, and while her hypocritical thoughts are quite amusing at times, they still show a significant character flaw. But when you judge Nynaeve only by her actions, it's much harder not to like her.

I never questioned or disliked her loyalty and what not, her personality just annoyed the hell out of me. Once she finally grew up though it all came together. She is definitely among my favorite female characters since KoD on, especially in TGS and the last book.

Part of my dislike for Nyneave earlier in the series (other than TFoH with Elayne) came from liking Mat's PoVs so much. For the longest time she always thought he was 'up to something' when all he wanted to do was pull her out of the fire or just get out of the line of fire himself. He was likely among the most often disciplined youths from the Two Rivers when she was Wisdom, and that's how she still sees him. We almost never (if ever?) get a Nyneave PoV when Mat's in the scene, so all we see is Mat's side of it, which comes across as completely unfair. The closest I can think of is either when Birgitte comes back to the Terasin Palace drunk 'I will NOT apologize to Mat Cauthon!', or Egwene's PoV in LoC when they're in Salidar and Nyneave comes up behind Mat and kicks him, or Elayne's PoV when they actually do apologize to Mat Cauthon.

Later on, though she thinks of him and hopes he's ok (TPOD) and even defends him to the DotNM of all people (TGS). So seeing things from her perspective might have changed that. It would have been far less humorous though :rolleyes:

Later in the series she got much less infuriating (I would say starting with Mashiara), and by the time we get to KoD The Golden Crane she's one of my favorite female characters in the series. I know Sanderson liked her too, and the way she's written in the last two books are very positive. I'm guessing it would have been either way, but I think he's lessened her annoying traits a little, maybe without really even realizing it.

To add to what others have said, Nynaeve was always one of my favorite characters (by far my favorite female character) and I've been reading since Eye of the World first came out in paperback (I was a sophomore in high school). I guess I must be in the minority of guys who started reading as a teen and loved Nynaeve from the start. I always kinda chuckled to myself when she started going on about how stupid men were and all that, especially when she would then go and do something stupid herself and wouldn't admit to herself it was stupid. She just seemed like a very true to life character to me.

I also don't know how anyone can think her relationship with Lan is contrived or forced. If you paid attention to her in The Eye of the World she was pretty much smitten with Lan from the start. The signs were pretty obvious. It's not that unusual a thing to happen, someone knowing someone a very short time and falling for them. I mean, my parents got engaged on their second date, married two months later and they've now been together for 50 years.

Nynaeve's fights with Moghedien (and dragging her along to help fight Rahvin, which was friggin hilarious and awesome at the same time), healing severing for the first time, losing her block, the cleansing of Saidin and her final Aes Sedai test are all some of my favorite scenes.

I don't have a problem with any of the other female characters, not even Faile. Though some of them do get annoying sometimes, like Egwene's encounter with Rand in ToM and her treatment of Suian, Gareth and Gawyn for trying to rescue her. She's getting to be WAY too full of herself. It's all right though since I'm 100 percent certain Egwene is about to be force fed some humble pie in the next book.

I think if there is one Aes Sedai that makes it into the legends from the 3rd age, it'll be Nynaeve.

While I am only halfway through Crown of Swords, I still absolutely despise Nynaeve. Everytime I stumble upon a chapter with her in it, it's so strenuous to read. I agree with the OP on the idea of throwing her in a bag and selling her to slavery in Shara. She's been perpetually haughty and unwilling to cede any kind of ignorance to anything, constantly acting entitled despite being some small town hick girl who is always getting into things too deep.

Another thing that's always bugged me with her (and the series as a whole) is the Lan/Nynaeve love side-story. Did I completely miss something? Because in EotW she just keeps saying "Grr... burn you Aes Sedai and Warders." All she did was trek with Lan and Moiraine for the bit of time it took for them to be all reunited in Caemlyn after the Shadar Logoth affair, and then all of a sudden with almost no preface Lan and Nynaeve have this whole fatalistic "I love you but we cannot be together thing, but I'd marry you in a heartbeat and die for you" talk. Huh? The whole thing seems so forced and artificial. And then I have to suffer through every single one of her POVs for the next 5000 pages whining on how Lan liked green dresses and what their kids would look like. Woman, please! The world is ending and you're freaking out on a guy who you spent like a month and a half with and he said a grand total of 8 words the whole time! Grr... so forced and contrived of a relationship it upsets me everytime I hear mention of it.

Yeah, you totally missed that one. She was smitten with Lan pretty much from the begining.

I think there is a lot of relationship stuff that is behind the scenes... a lot is implied. but i think in EotW we first see her notice him when he tracks her when she thought he wouldn't be able to (when she's following them in the forest)... she thinks she's the best at hiding her tracks and everything...

but on another note, i DO think that elayne is biased against her ... when they talk about terangreals and what not she says things like that she hates to admit that nynaeve did something good/right/better/etc... but it may just be jealousy on top of the fact that she's insufferable.

and perhaps brandon's portrayal of her changes the readers outlook too since it was said somewhere that most of the people who don't like her haven't read past KoD... But nynaeve is the type of person that if i knew someone like her in real life, i would hate her. regardless of how powerful or accomplished she is... she's irritating and stubborn

Nyn, for me, was always the most likable of the three but that's not saying much for a while there heh.

She's bullheaded with a hell of a temper but unlike the other two, she has always been honest and detests using people.

Her marriage to Lan was the start of her stock climbing and imo, has been the best female character over the last three books just ahead of Tuon.

Egwene has grown on me and I no longer dislike her.

Elayne on the other hand...just when I think I can't dislike her any more, she proves me wrong every time.

I started to like her on my third reread of the series. Some where about half way through the books I finally had seen enough of her character development to be able to appreciate how she behaved and reacted in the beginning of the story. She was basically a young, smart and talented healer who was thrust into a leadership roll that didn't particularly suit her abilities. She made due as best she could to get the job done the way she believed it needed to be done. Doesn't mean she was the most compotent to handle people in stressful situations but she could be depended on to get the job done(with a few lumps that would heal fore those who happens to be in the way).

Even before losing her block, Nyn was becoming more humble. The addition in her life of a strong willed man dedicated to her has also worked wonders. And of course without the block there has been less of a need for her to make herself angry and so she has been more tolerable.

Nynaeve sees what needs doing and does it because it is the right thing to do. To the pit of doom with ulterior motives of "Aes Sedei" schemes. (Note the quotes around Aes Sedei..they are there for a reason.) So that's +1 for Nyn!

I'm trying to think of any other female channeler besides Nynaeve that doesn't try to 'guide' or influence Rand with some hidden agenda and I can't think of any so that's another +1 for Nyn.

In the current age, I see Nyn as the first true female Aes Sedai as she is the only one who serves selflessly. I was really frustrated that she took the three oaths and I hope she gets released from them in MoL. I don't believe Moiraine is done manipulating and Suan is still knee deep in things. As for Cadsuane, didn't she just complete her bucket list? I sure hope so. Egwene? Pfft. Aiel honor or no -- she's as proud and prideful as a peacock. Maybe some of that understanding of Aiel Ji'e'Toh will help her understand the proper attitude for Aes Sedei that I hope Rand forces on them {see below}.

As a series in general, I have found the "Aes Sedei" women to be selfish, manipulative, prideful, haughty, and as Tam put it -- Bullies. At first I reasoned that the female Aes Sedei/servants-to-all had to take charge after the breaking and what resulted was a matriarchal led society, but then I could argue that it was the arrogance of the women who failed to be team players during the strike at Shayol Ghul. Some may point to the arrogance of the Men going it alone -- fine. None of it changes that fact that the "Aes Sedei" since the breaking have done nothing but control and manipulate rather than serve. Absolute power corrupts absolutely??

I'm ready for all of the "Aes Sedei" to be taken down a notch or 20 and be made to serve. It's time to end the reign of those women with their secrets and their scheming.

i absolutely agree. it's annoying that they get all offended when someone doesn't bend over backwards to curtsy the right way.. "That is NO way to talk to an AES SEDAI!" uhg.. get over it... they expect this ultimate respect without earning it first.. drives me crazy

Archived