DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Champions League Final

Thoughts? Predictions? Good odds?

A tough one to call. On thier day, Barca are unbeatable, but after the WC, a lengthy and draining Liga season, and off the back of a trying 4 games against Real Madrid in the past little while, it is not the strongest Barca ever seen right now.

Manchester Utd however are in thier element, typically strong in the close of the season. Thier form for me will depend on how the game goes against Chelsea this weekend. A loss and the league title becomes a lot more work for them, however a victory pretty much means the first team can take a minor break to rest up for the final. It's at home, too, so I think it will be a tight victory.

As a Liverpool fan this kills me, but I think Manchester Utd will win the champions league, as well as the league title.

I see the game itself being very 50/50, which is bad news for Barca as they generally enjoy much more possession and use it to terrorize opponents. Man U will harass and close down, so for Barca to play thier game will require them to be very much switched on. Man U will play thier game, knowing thier defence is pretty solid to deal with any counters that come thier way, but at the same time they are up against a world class Barca back line. I dont think Man U have the ability to completely shut Messi down, and Villa is always a threat. Man U have some decisions to make also, with Rooney, Berba, and Chica all viable options, but a forward 3 might be inviting Barca too much to play the midfield.

But in the end I think constant Man U pressure will be enough to squeeze out a 2-1 victory for the Red Devils.

Sucks! :P

Playing against FC UEFA, I am mostly worried that the ref will decide the game. But if we get a fair game, I can see United winning. Barca may be the better team on paper, but SAF is a far better coach than the philosopher.

As for Uniteds starting XI, there is no way SAF would start with Rooney-Berba-Chicharito. Most likely we will get a 4-5-1, with Chicharito up front, and Rooney more in a midfield role. If everyone is available:

VDS

Fabio Ferdinand Vidic Evra

Valencia Scholes Fletcher Rooney Giggs

Hernandez

Anderson and Park are also strong candidates to start on the midfield. Not Nani though, as he is quite awful at tracking back. Expect him to come on last 30 if United must score.

• 3 months later...

Archived