DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Though, in my book it is Springsteens version of Because The Night that is the originalbiggrin.gif

I blame my source for that mistake. Not the fact I skimmed read about the song!

Original x2 for me as well.

Song 115: Rude Boy

Song 115 sees one of Rihanna's big hits from 2010 get a bit of treatment in classical music form.

ORIGINAL: Rihanna

Released in and around February 2010, Rude Boy scored many top 10 placings in charts across the world, reaching number 1 in the UK and the US. It is an up-tempo pop song with influences of ska and dancehall. The lyrics make references to sex and teasing. The song's "ragamuffin-style" was well received by critics. By topping the US billboard for 5 consecutive weeks, Rude Boy Rihanna's best-selling and highest-charting song from the album Rated R.

vs.

COVER: Aston

Aston are an Australian sextet who are the guest band on The Matty Johns Show, a show largely focussed on the National Rugby League (NRL) competition. They comprise of six young music students from the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. They rose to fame through their cover of Lady Gaga's Telephone (expect that in the future!). Blogger Perez Hilton saw it, and the video became the most watched Australian music video of the year with 700,000 views in two weeks. The group have recorded their first album, out shortly.

Voting ends Thursday 20th January 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Song 116: Running Up That Hill

Time to revisit song 45: Running Up That Hill. That saw Kate Bush's original lose by 4 votes to 2 to Within Temptation. Will Kate Bush fare any better against Placebo's cover?

ORIGINAL: Kate Bush

This is Bush's second highest peaking single, reaching number 3 in the UK charts in 1985. It reached the top 30 in the US as well. There was a bit of a problem surrounding the name of the song, especially in America, as it was meant to be called A Deal with God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuLlwUaEyr0

vs.

COVER: Placebo

English alternative rock band Placebo released their version first on their 2003 album Sleeping with Ghosts, and then re-released it in 2007. The group's version is a lot more downbeat than Kate Bush's original. I do like Q magazine's description of the song: [it] sound more like a pact with the Devil' than the original 'deal with God'. This version has made several TV and film appearances.

Voting ends Thursday 20th January 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

So, time to announce the results of the vote for the last two songs.

Song 115 was Rude Boy, with the cover version by Aston easing to a 4-0 victory over Rihanna's original.

And song 116 was Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill, which failed in its second attempt to beat a cover version, as Placebo triumphed by 3 votes to 2.

Time for the next two songs.

Song 117: Bohemian Rhapsody

I am still surprised it has taken me 117 songs to get Queen into "Original vs. Cover". Now, here they are, and one of the greatest songs ever - Bohemian Rhapsody. The cover version is performed by Montserrat Caballe and Bruce Dickinson.

ORIGINAL: Queen

Bohemian Rhapsody was a ground-breaking record in several ways. It prompted recording artists to release a video with the song after the promotional video proved such a success. It also had no chorus. Instead, the song is split into different parts - introduction, ballad, guitar solo, opera, hard rock, and outro. Released as a single in 1975, it went to the top of the UK charts, and was there for 9 weeks, and was also the Christmas number 1. Upon Freddie Mercury's death in 1991, it went back to the top of the charts, and was the Christmas number 1 again.

vs.

COVER: Montserrat Caballe and Bruce Dickinson

Some time around 1988, Caballe, a Spanish soprano, dueted with Freddie Mercury in one of her rare ventures outside the classical world. Just over 10 years after that, she recorded a version of Bohemian Rhapsody with the lead singer of Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickinson. While Caballe, the song does have a more operatic feel to it. A top class cover version of what is a fantastic song!

Voting ends Monday 24th January 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Song 118: Don't Cry For Me Argentina

Time to head to the world of musicals. Lyrics for Evita were written by Tim Rice, and the music by Andrew Lloyd-Webber. The original single for Don't Cry For me Argentina was released by Julie Covington, and I have picked Festival's disco version as my cover. I like Madonna's from the 1996 film Evita, but it was different enough.

ORIGINAL: Julie Covington

The song was initially offered to Elkie Brooks, but she turned it down. Instead, it was taken up by English singer and actress Julie Covington. It reached number 1 in 1977 in the UK charts, where it stayed for a week. Nearly a million singles were sold in the UK - how times have changed! Covington did not take up the role of Eva Peron on stage. Instead, Elaine Paige took on the role.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATQZcLqq4Mk

vs.

COVER: Festival

I really can't tell you much about the group known as Festival. I am not convinced the information on last.fm is 100% correct. If any information on Festival can be found, please let me know! Anyway, in 1979, a disco version of Don't Cry For Me Argentina was released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01hKTxMnjYk

Voting ends Monday 24th January 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

So, time to wrap up those two songs.

Song 117, which was Bohemian Rhapsody, was an easy win for Queen and their original, polling 6 votes to none.

Don't Cry For Me Argentina was song 118, and quite tightly fought. And it saw a narrow 3-2 victory for Julie Covington and her original version.

Time for two more songs.

Archived