DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A bit of whimsy:

francy

Before you say "der, your an idiot!!", hear me out...

In TEOTW, using the One Power, she made herself physically big enough to step over the wall. We all know that RJ had people doing things with the OP early on, that he thought better of later, is this one of them?

Or did she use illusion, the Mask of Mirrors, to make herself 'appear' gigantic?

If so, and picturing this always makes me giggle, wouldn't she have felt a right dolt, being little Moiraine and going through the motions of stepping over something, to make it appear as though her gigantic self was stepping over the wall? Bending down, lifting her dress at the hem, stepping over thin air...

And while I'm on it - how did Lanfaer 'disappear'? At the end of TGH, Min is holding an unconscious Rand, and Lanfaer appears, tells her to look after Lews Therin for her, then disappears. "Min gaped. One moment she was there, then she was gone." That would be pretty handy, wouldn't it?

Another of the things RJ reconsidered perhaps? Though I suppose we don't know what weaves they were capable of in the AOL, so it might be some trick that Lanfaer knew that isn't explored later... Rand made Egwene invisible, as long as she didn't move... No reason why Lanfaer wouldn't know how to do it properly... My question is, can Lanfaer disappear and reappear where ever she likes, did she use weaves to make herself invisible or did RJ decide "nah, can't be done."??

:-)

Just a bit of light hearted whimsy... Not to be taken too seriously... :-)

paraphrasing here :wink:

Egwene: You were a giant!

Moiraine: Was I?

She was using an illusion and just walked out the gate (the gatekeepers hadn't closed it yet)

It's very similar to the illusion used by the Aes Sedai that tried to intimidate Rand in Caemlyn after Demira was set upon by "Aielmen".

Lanfear is easy - set up an invisible illusion and/or use a Gateway. More interestingly, how did she keep finding Rand (and Mat and Perrin apparently) at will - all the way till TFoH? Was it by using her ta'veren seeking method or because she does have a special connection?

Moiraine's stepping over is much more difficult to understand in terms of illusion dynamics. Illusions are disturbed by physical touch - so, even if she makes herself look gigantic the moment she starts clambering over the wall, there would be "ripples" and disturbances.

Moiraine's stepping over is much more difficult to understand in terms of illusion dynamics. Illusions are disturbed by physical touch - so, even if she makes herself look gigantic the moment she starts clambering over the wall, there would be "ripples" and disturbances.

It's just invisibility that's disturbed it you try to move it. The Aes Sedai who tried to intimidate Rand very much moved, as did Moiraine, and let's not forget the countless uses of Mask of Mirrors for a full-body disguise that stays on perfectly.

I think Moiraine just walked out the gate, and made the illusion seem to step over the wall. As has been mentioned, she hinted at the act being an illusion, so I definitely don't think it's and "oops" moment.

I thoguht that maybe Lanfears was her using the TP, when we see moridin use it for travelling didnt he just disappear with no gateway?

Does he? I always pictured him ripping a hole in the pattern and stepping through it, not vanishing on the spot. Thats the way I read it anyway...

But I've been wrong before!

LOL

No, TP Traveling truly is disappearing in one place and appearing in another, but the RJ thing about walking out the door sounds familiar. Perhaps I'll look for it later. Regarding Barleon, I take Sid's side. She wouldn't need to actually go through the motions, she can simply walk out the gate and have her illusion step over the wall (not scale it, it wasn't so high as to merit that).

No, TP Traveling truly is disappearing in one place and appearing in another, but the RJ thing about walking out the door sounds familiar. Perhaps I'll look for it later. Regarding Barleon, I take Sid's side. She wouldn't need to actually go through the motions, she can simply walk out the gate and have her illusion step over the wall (not scale it, it wasn't so high as to merit that).

Oh okay, so it may have been TP then - they could all still access the TP at that point, before the DO chose his Naeblis... If you do have time to look for the RJ thing about walking out the door, that would be good. Its not important, I'm just curious about what it says because from Min's POV, Lanfaer is there and then isn't... She didn't walk away - she vanished... I'll be interested to see what RJ had to say about it.

:-)

About Moiraine not going through the motions of stepping through the gate - you guys have spoiled all my fun! LOL

I know what you mean though, the illusion itself can do whatever the caster makes it do - no need to go through the motions themselves...

If you do have time to look for the RJ thing about walking out the door, that would be good.

:smile:

It's not verbatim, but here it is:

Brisbane 20 September 1999 - Joel Gilmore reporting

The vanishing thing that Lanfear does at the end of book 2 is in fact her just walking out the door. Nothing more.

What I never understrod how in the hell one of the forsaken (don't remzmber which one) STOP A FREAKING TIME! With the white cloak ambesedor?

Oh yeah! I had to think hard for a moment to try and remember what you were talking about - but yeah! That was quite a feat, wasn't it?

If you do have time to look for the RJ thing about walking out the door, that would be good.

:smile:

It's not verbatim, but here it is:

Brisbane 20 September 1999 - Joel Gilmore reporting

The vanishing thing that Lanfear does at the end of book 2 is in fact her just walking out the door. Nothing more.

Thanks for that ... It sounds to me like he got a bit sick of the question - I mean, if she walked through the door, Min wouldn't have been so surprised. Pretty sure she's seen people walk through doors before, enough to know how to describe the process! hehehe

Archived