DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Christine

WT/DM April/May Field Trip

Warder vs Aes Sedai....good question. I could never see myself being a Warder and I knew I was a Brown almost from the start so I didn't even consider going Warder path.

I have another question for the Browns if that is ok? I'm not 100% sure if I want to follow the Aes Sedai path or the Warder path. I can see benefits in both. When you joined the WT here in DM, could you choose what path to follow and did you ever consider being a Warder instead. What made you ultimately decide to be Aes Sedai?

When I joined, it wasn't as an Initiate. You joined as either Novice or Algai. I chose the Aes Sedai path because I identified more with them in the books.I didn't consider being a Warder at all. I think it's great that you now get the opportunity to get to know both sides of the group before you have to make a decision. :smile:

I have some questions for all of you, to let us get to know you all better. Like I said, we like getting to know our visitors. Unless you've made an introduction on our board, like Ithi, chances are we don't know much about you!

How did you find DM? How long have you been a member? How long have you been reading the books? How did you find the books in the first place? Why did you want to join the WT?

Where are you from? What do you do? Do you have any pets? Where have you travelled? Where would you like to travel? Do you have any interesting/weird/unusual hobbies?

You don't have to answer all the questions, but I'm sure you can find at least one or two that you can answer. :biggrin:

Well, I am Ren. I love reading and knowledge, just like the brown Ajah, but I think I might be too adventurous. Haha

To answer your questions, well, here goes!

I found DM through a teacher of mine, he introduced me to the Wheel of Time series, and now we are decent friends and we pass fantasy and science fiction books back and forth to one another and discuss the books. It is wonderful. He is sharing his comics with me as well, I cannot wait to start the Green Lantern series! *dies* Oh, sorry, I am rambling. Back to the point... I have been here for maybe two weeks. I wanted to join the WT as soon as I joined, i often dreamed after reading the books about actually being an Aes Sedai. Fun dreams. Haha. So, I had to join and attempt to work my way up to become an Aes Sedai. ^^

I am from a small borough in Pennsylvania called Robesonia. Pretty dull place, but I love it. I don't do much, other than going to college right now. I work on a farm for my work study through the college. it is really fun to get down and work there. Seeing your hard work become a living thing that can feed others is amazing! I figure that once I graduate and get my own place, I may start a garden to feed myself. Ummm... What do I do? Well, I am interested in genetics, and have finally decided to switch my major (I am only a freshmen) to Biology, and maybe Environmental Sciences. Unusual hobbies, well, I am a bit strange myself. I love dragons and collect art of them as well as paint them and other strange creatures of my own design. I like to daydream a lot and create fantastical stories and epic fantasies in my mind. I am attempting to write a novel currently, though I get bored pretty quickly. I have five pets, one horse, three dogs (a golden mix who is quite intelligent, a red setter who is just adorable, and a great dane who is like a brother to me (I know, weird! haha)), and a cat. I had another horse, but he passed away. I always say that Chester was the love of my life. *sighs* That one still hurts a bit. Anyways, I haven't traveled much. I have been across the country, to California, Texas, and along the Eastern coast (New Jersey, North and South Carolina, Florida, Virginia). I want to travel out West and see Yellowstone National Park, I also want to go to British Isles and Japan, maybe even Afrtica. Haha.

Well, that's me in a nutshell. Just ask anything! ^^

Hi I'm Visar, an algai! In "bastard" Old Tongue my dm name is supposed to mean, "Freedom's Bright Flame", or bright flame of freedom.

I love reading and I LOVE history from many periods! But before I go into too long of a rant I shall ask my Q's and answer these wonderful questions :D

What are your favorite periods in history? What periods tend to be discussed the most in the brown ajah? I love ancient, medieval, early modern, and 20th century history, and like military, music, and social/cultural history a lot. I intend to study history for grad school at some point, though I've been procrastinating on this.

How did you find DM? How long have you been a member? How long have you been reading the books? How did you find the books in the first place? Why did you want to join the WT?

Where are you from? What do you do? Do you have any pets? Where have you travelled? Where would you like to travel? Do you have any interesting/weird/unusual hobbies?

I found DM through my bonded Rasheta (we're bonded on the rp side, though I suppose we're not "officially" bonded on the social side because I'm not a manshima yet X_X Working on that finally).

I've been a member since fall of 2008, so almost 3 years.

I've been reading the books since late high school. I found the books from a couple of sources. My late best friend from middle school (RIP Peter) was reading the first book and mentioned it, and I've always been curious. I didn't get around to reading it until high school when one of my friends introduced me to the series. Then I was hooked!

I wanted to join the White Tower because my bonded's on here, and I also wanted to rack the brains of the warders on swords and stuff, you can't get me to shut up about that if I get started :P

I am from Michigan originally, currently live in Florida but I'd like to get out of this state soon. I've been a member umm I'm not sure how long. I've kinda lurked for a while and posted in the warder threads and occasionally in the Green Ajah threads. This is the Second time I've tried to take this class and I intend to finish it even if I'm late. I don't have any pets myself, but my girlfriend's parents have 12 cats around the yard, and 2 of them also live indoors. They are awesome and I can't wait to see them again! My roomates also have a cat and two birds. I like the cat, not so fond of the birds. I have travelled around the U.S. a bit but not enough, to Canada, and once as a kid I went over to England and Scotland on a chorus trip. I can't wait to go back there! I also want to travel to Italy, Germany, and Russia, and I'll visit France too France is cool :P

Hobbies, I like archery though I really suck at it, and I practice historical fencing when I can. So I literally practice the historical counterparts of what warders would probably have studied in the Wheel of Time.

I think I'll visit these boards more often even if I'm more warder path interested. Thanks!

Hi Ren and Visar! Sorry I haven't responded sooner. How are you doing?

I like to daydream a lot and create fantastical stories and epic fantasies in my mind.

I do this too. Especially when I'm trying to sleep. :biggrin:

I used to have horses. Sold the last one when I went to study at the university. My mom still has a horse though, and sometimes I get to take care of another horse in her stable.

What are your favorite periods in history? What periods tend to be discussed the most in the brown ajah?

I don't know that I have a favourite period, really. Though I think I enjoy more recent history rather than ancient. I am not a historian at all, but I like watching historical documentaries on TV... I don't think we dicuss history a lot here in the Brown Ajah. Maybe the history of literature? :tongue:

Hi all,

Just a quick answer to the favourite historical period question - none. I like mythologies though - well the Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Norse, and Irish ones anyway. There's probably more but that's just a quick list off the top of my head.

cheers,

Senexx

Hi Basel and volke! Welcome!

I can't answer for any other Browns, but I definitely prefer actual books. Not that I've really tried any e-readers... But I don't like reading longer texts, books, on the computer screen.

I'd just like to point out that the Brown Ajah isn't just about books and reading books and loving books. Like Ithi mentioned, most of the people who come to DM probably like to read, since, well, the site is based around a book series. We like to discuss pretty much anything. If you look around our board you'll see some examples. If you find anything that sounds interesting, don't hesitate to join in. :smile:

I have some questions for all of you, to let us get to know you all better. Like I said, we like getting to know our visitors. Unless you've made an introduction on our board, like Ithi, chances are we don't know much about you!

You don't have to answer all the questions, but I'm sure you can find at least one or two that you can answer. :biggrin:

Evening everyone. Chocalate? Why yes, I'd love some (nom nom nom).

Well, my name is Ishy and I've lurked a bunch on DM since about 07. I just recently became a memeber about 2 weeks ago, but I've read WOT since around 1994, LoC was out around then, but since I worked at a Waldenbooks here in Charleston, I got up to speed pretty quick. I really only started frequenting the boards after RJ's death just to see what the future held for the series, but after hanging around the boards I knew I had to stick around, since everyone was just so friendly and had a lot of new, interesting theories about the books that I just had to stick around (and all this chocalate helps too...).

Well, as I said, I live in Charleston, SC, I'm married with a boy and girl and a 14 year old cat named Kharma. I spend about 99.9% of my free time reading or here on DM (sad I know). I'm 38, spent 15 years in the US Army, and now do engineering work at the Boeing plant here in town. Lots more to share eventually, but I'll give others their turn. One more piece before I go? Ah, you twisted my arm, ok.

Hello Ishy! Welcome! I started out as a lurker as well. I like the name of your cat. :laugh:

I wasn't a lurker....I jumped in because it gave me something to do when I was uber bored in high school.

Ithi asked basically how do you know if you're brown or white given the similarities. My personal point of view on the matter is the Whites are more structured. A topic tends to more often than not stay on point, us Browns go out on many tangents and might not even come back to the original point though we try to.

I would add since I've been here, the feel of the Whites is changing from the way it felt 12 months ago when I joined. My white stripe is pretty thick but there's just more Brown in me.

Also how do you know if you fully Brown. Like many others will say, it is just a feeling. I actually feel I can say this now I'm Accepted. I knew I was Brown the minute I got here because of the similarities of both the Browns and Whites to the book ajahs. I looked hard at all Ajahs before making a decision but my post count dominated the Brown Ajah and I think that was a dead giveaway.

Basel Gill asked books or electronic devices? When what I wish to read has been published as a book or novel, I prefer a book. However, if I wish to learn something specific, I do a lot of reading on the topic but mostly on the internet.

Northwind asks how do you persuade someone to read WoT - 1. you don't tell them how many books in the series and 2. you relate it to the individual in the context of something they all ready enjoy.

At this point I must say I like Basel Gill's "weird" hobby but I'm a macroeconomics nut.

I can only echo our lovely First Chair on the Aes Sedai or Warder path question

When I joined, it wasn't as an Initiate. You joined as either Novice or Algai. I chose the Aes Sedai path because I identified more with them in the books.I didn't consider being a Warder at all. I think it's great that you now get the opportunity to get to know both sides of the group before you have to make a decision.

Did I miss any questions?

cheers

Senexx