DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Christine

WT/DM April/May Field Trip

Welcome, Aspirants, to the Brown Ajah. The Aes Sedai here love learning and studying, and have a great affection for Chocolate! So, step up and ask our Browns some questions!

Hello Sisters. * curtsy * I am Pam a novice of the White Tower. Chocolate? I LOVE chocolate. May I offer you some home made fudge? * holds out a box of fudge*

Hello to all of the Brown Aes Sedai,

I would say that the vast majority who visit DM are book lovers and so would feel at home with the Brown Ajah. I am surprised that the Brown Ajah is not one of the biggest and busiest Ajahs in the WT. I've often heard Aes Sedai of other Ajahs describe themselves as having a Brown stripe. Also the love of knowledge and learning seems to blur with the Whites slightly. How do you know if you are fully brown?

Thanks. Ithi.

Pam - I absolutely adore fudge! It's delicious!

Ilthi - you're question is a difficult one to answer and one that seems to crop up quite often. I think a major factor that has affected the size of our Ajah is that most of us here are pretty introverted whether online or in person and as such prfer smaller close-knit groups that it tends to take others a while to feel as though they too are a part of the family. Nevertheless, we still enjoy having visitors and getting to know new people and having discussions about various books or even various things that are happening around the world today. We are a very open minded group.

I would say I knew I was meant to be a Brown when I had to leave Dragonmount for a time and upon return, it felt as though I had never left the Browns because they took me right back in as though I had never left, whereas other Ajahs had grown so much that I couldn't make heads nor tails of what was going on there.

I hope that makes sense!

Any more questions? Either about the Ajah as a whole or about us?

Hi everyone and welcome to the Brown Ajah! I'm the Head around these parts. I hope you all are enjoying your time in the WT so far. If you don't mind, tell us a little about yourselves - we love getting to know our visitors. :smile:

*takes some fudge* Tasty. :biggrin:

Ithi - Jea answered your question well, I think. As for knowing if you are fully Brown: I realized I was Brown when I found myself visiting and posting on the Brown board more than any other board. It took me a long time to come to that conclusion, though. And I seriously considered all the Ajahs at one point or another.

Do Browns, being the bookish sort, generally prefer actual books when they read, or do electronic means suffice?

I'm with MR.Gill and Volke do you have a preference? Book over eBook? I haven't really give the eBooks much of a chance as I like the feel of a book in my hands. My niece said I would love it if I only gave them a chance. Any one care to give their opinion?

Hi Basel and volke! Welcome!

I can't answer for any other Browns, but I definitely prefer actual books. Not that I've really tried any e-readers... But I don't like reading longer texts, books, on the computer screen.

I'd just like to point out that the Brown Ajah isn't just about books and reading books and loving books. Like Ithi mentioned, most of the people who come to DM probably like to read, since, well, the site is based around a book series. We like to discuss pretty much anything. If you look around our board you'll see some examples. If you find anything that sounds interesting, don't hesitate to join in. :smile:

I have some questions for all of you, to let us get to know you all better. Like I said, we like getting to know our visitors. Unless you've made an introduction on our board, like Ithi, chances are we don't know much about you!

How did you find DM? How long have you been a member? How long have you been reading the books? How did you find the books in the first place? Why did you want to join the WT?

Where are you from? What do you do? Do you have any pets? Where have you travelled? Where would you like to travel? Do you have any interesting/weird/unusual hobbies?

You don't have to answer all the questions, but I'm sure you can find at least one or two that you can answer. :biggrin:

I, personally, would actually like to get myself an e-reader simply because I get sick and tired of caring multiple books around my campus and, being a future English teacher, I'm always going to need several books on me at once and when you cram all those books into a bag they start getting messed up and I don't like my precious books looking abused. I don't mind them looking read, but abused is just bad and that's what keeps happening to them! That being said, I would probably have paper/hardback copies at home still and then use the e-reader to transport things back and forth. Also, I know there is one e-reader out there where you can write notes, highlight and bookmark right on the page of the book on the screen (as in not a separate page like the nook but actually right by the words of the page in the book). So, getting myself an e-reader would also save all of my books from being written all over!

*eyes Basel Gill and Volke* You two better behave over here....*sets out some of her extra special chocolate fudge brownies, knowing they won't be able to resist them here*

I have some questions for all of you, to let us get to know you all better. Like I said, we like getting to know our visitors. Unless you've made an introduction on our board, like Ithi, chances are we don't know much about you!

How did you find DM? How long have you been a member? How long have you been reading the books? How did you find the books in the first place? Why did you want to join the WT?

Where are you from? What do you do? Do you have any pets? Where have you travelled? Where would you like to travel? Do you have any interesting/weird/unusual hobbies?

You don't have to answer all the questions, but I'm sure you can find at least one or two that you can answer. :biggrin:

I found Dm when I was trying to find the release date for ToM. I joined back in January. I started reading the books about 3 years ago. I came across the first book one day and I couldnt put it down. I found it at my school library. I joined the WT cause I always liked the Warders, plus I felt like joing more SG other than Wolfkin and BotRH

I am from Washington State in America. I am a student, though I do work for a catering company. Yes I have three cats. I have only been to Oregon, Utah, and a bunch of places here in Washington. I would love to travel to Ireland, and Japan. I like to draw, watch Anime, I am a Gamer Nerd on just about every level. I am obsessed with Ancient History (ask me anything about Rome, Greece, English, or Japanese history and I can answer it) and the Japanese culture. And I absolutely love to cook.

*eyes Basel Gill and Volke* You two better behave over here....*sets out some of her extra special chocolate fudge brownies, knowing they won't be able to resist them here*

*grins innocently* "whatever do you mean Jean? Me? Misbehave!? Never..."

Volke - You know exactly what I mean

And also, I would love to hear everything you know about Rome and Greece...considering I've been to both places now and know nothing of the history.... :biggrin:

I just picked up a Sony Reader the other day and it's great. I got the pocket one because it's soooo easy to transport (and was on sale). I think it is the one that you have seen with the ability to underline and take notes. I used that feature to notate the Hoid section in Sanderson's Warbreaker (available for free on his site) when reading through it on my laptop using the Sony software. Haven't had a chance to try it out on the ereader itself though.

Been reading the series for 14-15 years (started right before Path of Daggers came out). A friend saw me reading Black Company by Glen Cook and recommended WoT to me. Lurked around DragonMount for years seemingly. Signed up a couple weeks ago after hanging out with a variety of ppl at JordanCon.

I'm from Atlanta GA, married, 2 kids (2 and 4), 3 dogs (jack russell, chihuahua/wiener dog long hair mix, and a chihuahua/italian greyhound mix), 2 cats (med hair torti & orange tabby).

I've never travelled outside the USA except for a couple Caribbean cruises. I would love to tour Scotland and Ireland and see the castles at some point in the future.

Making my rounds to the field trip threads as sanity breaks from work. Just working down the alphabetical line.

Volke - You know exactly what I mean

And also, I would love to hear everything you know about Rome and Greece...considering I've been to both places now and know nothing of the history.... :biggrin:

lol. I'd be glad to tell you... but what do you wanna learn first?

Akealon - you're right, that is the one I've seen.

Volke...hmmm what do you know about the Roman Forums and Palentine Hill? I've visited both twice now and really don't know what the importance is

I found DM while several years ago when I was looking for more information on the books.

I started about reading WoT about 5 years ago. One of my sisters, whom I share books with, gave me EotW and said just read it. I was reluctant but I started the first book and fell hook, line and sinker.

I wanted to join WT because it felt right. I am always looking for someone to share my book interest and this looked like a good home for me.

I am originally from Oklahoma but I've lived Tennessee and Mississippi before ending up in Texas. I have traveled most of the southern and southwestern states but never been out of the US.

I like to cook, bake, sew, make jewelry and read.

Greetings Brown Ajah, I am Northwind, an algai.

I don't remember how I found DM, but I only joined a while ago. I started reading the books last year I believe, and I found the books in the school library while looking for something to read. I joined the white tower because I liked the idea of being a warder, and looking at the boards showed me that it would definitely be fun.

I live a little ways north of the twin cities in Minnesota. I rarely ever end up going anywhere, and don't really have any desire to. As far as unusual hobbies, does a fascination with medieval close range weapons count?

As far as a question of my own, how on earth do I persuade someone to try reading WoT?

I've tried multiple times, but nothing seems to work.

Hi Basel and volke! Welcome!

I can't answer for any other Browns, but I definitely prefer actual books. Not that I've really tried any e-readers... But I don't like reading longer texts, books, on the computer screen.

I'd just like to point out that the Brown Ajah isn't just about books and reading books and loving books. Like Ithi mentioned, most of the people who come to DM probably like to read, since, well, the site is based around a book series. We like to discuss pretty much anything. If you look around our board you'll see some examples. If you find anything that sounds interesting, don't hesitate to join in. :smile:

I'll take some of these. I found DM via a link on the WOT encyclopedia site, which I've often had to use to look up assorted things from past books when I can't recall who someone is or whatever. I'd been using the encyclopedia website since I was reading TGH and had trouble recalling stuff from TEoTW, but never bothered checking out the community until about a month ago. I've actually been reading the books for about three years, but not all in a row, so it's taken a while just to get as far as I have. The books were recommended to me on a forum for an RPG which I lost interest in a long time ago.

As for hobbies, I have a weird one. I've been an active member for 11 1/2 years now at http://www.wheresgeorge.com/ which allows people to track their paper currency after they spend it. Much of my travelling the last few years has been to assorted parts of the USA for a weekend or so for meetups of groups of people involved in the site. One of these days, I would love to see Ireland, being Irish-American, but the finances wouldn't work for me as things stand.

Why, Jean, what leads you to assume we would misbehave? :dry:

I see several stated they haven't been outside the States and let me tell you...it is crazy enlightening to get out. I completely understand now why most Europeans don't like us Americans. Not only that but, Europe is gorgeous and totally worth the visit someday!

Northwind - what have you tried so far?

Basel - You joined the Band, enough said.

Northwind - what have you tried so far?

So far I've tried strongly suggesting, comparison to other books, and connections between the books and other things they might enjoy.

Most people seem to be scared away by the size of the book and the number of books in the series.

I think I know like five people that read voluntarily, and I haven't gotten any of them to read the books.

My school seems to border on illiterate.

Edited by Northwind

Hmm have you ever considered telling them something along the lines of hey I think you might like this book, and don't mention the fact that there's so many and they're all that big, but just had them the first book and have them go? That's what my dad did to me lol

I have an Ereader and it is genius. It means I can go camping or on holiday without having to have an extra bag full of books. Between me an my friend we have over 10,000 books and I have the best site in the world that I get my books from. To me books are more than the medium they are printed on, so I it didn't feel any different reading on a Reader and I only need to use one hand.

I have another question for the Browns if that is ok? I'm not 100% sure if I want to follow the Aes Sedai path or the Warder path. I can see benefits in both. When you joined the WT here in DM, could you choose what path to follow and did you ever consider being a Warder instead. What made you ultimately decide to be Aes Sedai?

@ Northwind, have you tried giving a copy of EotW as a gift?

I have to a couple of people if they are readers an unread book on their shelf will kill them and they will be hooked.

Nifty idea. I can tell you the exact point where (with about 75% certainty) that they will be hooked. When Rand and Tam are fighting the Trollocs at their farmhouse and Rand then has to get his dad back down to Emond's Field.

{threadjack}Side story on that: Talking to Wilson and Harriet about this during the kaffelklatch (sp?) session at JordanCon was intense. They talked about the way Jim wrote when he was doing those scenes. With his experiences in Vietnam, he had first hand experience with the terror and fight for survival. (RJ was a doorgunner on helicopters in Nam) When he wrote those scenes he wrote them from the heart and took himself back to the experiences in his own life. That is what makes those scenes (and that one in particular) as vivid and grasping as they are. He drew on real life for the imagery there and really did not have to stretch to create the feel and it shows. That was the point that I got hooked on my first read through and I still remember it clearly. Finding out the info I did a few weeks ago makes it so much more and lends a true appreciation.

{/threadjack}

When was I hooked into EoTW- Somewhere about the time when Thom, Mat, and Rand left the ship and Thom got attacked.

It took me a while to get through EoTW (2 years, actually, but i wasn't reading much during that time in my life).