DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Raena

The Brown Ajah Library

I mix my Italian and Español alllll the time,  paysana!! ^.^

I'm French-Canadian, so I'm rather colourful with my expressions. None of the Parisian accent, the language is closer to pre-French Revolution French and Norman French (so I'm told).

I agree with you ladies. I need the paper of an actual book in my hands. I look at a screen (computer) enough during my work day. I don't want to read that way, too. 

22 hours ago, Calindra said:

I mix my Italian and Español alllll the time,  paysana!! ^.^

I'm French-Canadian, so I'm rather colourful with my expressions. None of the Parisian accent, the language is closer to pre-French Revolution French and Norman French (so I'm told).

I studied proper Castilian Spanish and then studied abroad in Granada....that was an entertaining first month! I chose to stay with a host family that spoke little to no English so my Spanish speaking ability would significantly improve, and it did! I loved my time there - I'm going back with my sister to visit London, Sevilla/Granada, Rome, Pompeii, Florence, and Venice in May/June 2020. We are stoked - and yes, we already have the international flight as well as lodgings booked. Just waiting to be able to book trains and the shorter flights (London to Sevilla/Malaga and Malaga/Sevilla to Rome and then lots of trains in Italy!)

21 hours ago, LilyElizabeth said:

I agree with you ladies. I need the paper of an actual book in my hands. I look at a screen (computer) enough during my work day. I don't want to read that way, too. 

I get that! My students turn in their written work on the computers using Google Classroom and it's so nice to sit back and relax with a physical copy of a book at the end of the day instead of more screen time! Also, fun fact, I can't remember the name of the study I read about it but researchers discovered we comprehend what we read better when we hold the physical book because we associate events in the text with the amount of pages being held between either hand.

7 minutes ago, Jeannaisais said:

I'm going back with my sister to visit London, Sevilla/Granada, Rome, Pompeii, Florence, and Venice in May/June 2020.

Wow! That sounds like a wonderful trip!! ❤️

I agree,  it would probably take me 3 good months in Spain and Italy to untangle the two languages.  I can think of worse places to stay an extended period of time.  ?

17 minutes ago, Calindra said:

Wow! That sounds like a wonderful trip!! ❤️

I agree,  it would probably take me 3 good months in Spain and Italy to untangle the two languages.  I can think of worse places to stay an extended period of time.  ?

Like I said, we are insanely excited! I was abroad for about 4ish months in 2011 and was dreaming in Spanish by the end and now, I'm reviewing the language and....I am rusty ? It's okay, I've got time to improve before we head over there, although I may need to work harder on my Italian then my Spanish since we're doing a week and a half of the trip in Italy - 3 full days London, 3 days Spain (2 for Sevilla, 1 for Granada), 3 days Rome, 2 days Pompeii, 3 days Florence, and 3 days Venice. Sounds so short when I write it that way.....my sister is having her golden birthday and I just turned 30 so it's our special bday gifts to ourselves ? We wanted to add in Dublin but didn't want to feel insanely rushed!

1 minute ago, Calindra said:

Are you two going to be blogging your experience???

That's probably a good idea - most of our lodging has internet access! I started out journaling with my semester abroad and then schooling took over because it was HARD to take all my classes all in Spanish! I'll ask my sister if she'd be okay with that idea (she's a scientist, I'm more the writer) and perhaps we should. We could event start with our preparations and why the dates for each city are already set six months before we leave.

3 minutes ago, Jeannaisais said:

I'll ask my sister if she'd be okay with that idea (she's a scientist, I'm more the writer) and perhaps we should.

It'd totally fit with Brown fashion to keep a journal. Jeannaisais Sedai's Travels..! Definitely a book I'd pick up. 

Just now, Calindra said:

It'd totally fit with Brown fashion to keep a journal. Jeannaisais Sedai's Travels..! Definitely a book I'd pick up. 

Aww thanks! It'd help with my current blank page state on NaNaWriMo (write a 50k novel in one month and I have like not even 1k words because I don't know what to write *sigh*).

23 minutes ago, Jeannaisais said:

That's probably a good idea - most of our lodging has internet access! 

Yes!!! What a perfectly marvelous idea cali!!! I would really like to read that blog too Jea??

22 hours ago, Lavandula said:

Yes!!! What a perfectly marvelous idea cali!!! I would really like to read that blog too Jea??

Duly noted lol

On 11/17/2019 at 12:25 AM, Lavandula said:

me 4! I haven't been overseas for years now *siiiiiiighs* so would love to see your travels,  but am going on a small holiday to Bali next year with my family (very common holiday spot for australians as it is so close, I have not been as it is known as the young/party/gross/rude overly tourist area) but we thought we would just have some fun. But I am more interested in the beautiful temples and the country side, so fingers crossed I get some cultural sight seeing in too!

Life is hard for us bookish types.

You know how lots and lots of words are spelled.

But you don't necessarily know how they're pronounced.

On 11/27/2019 at 11:43 PM, JamesBrown said:

Life is hard for us bookish types.

You know how lots and lots of words are spelled.

But you don't necessarily know how they're pronounced.

Haha..so true!

Sigh..I'm so stuck with my req classes..

Do any of you brown have anything to add about your ajah that could help? 

Hm.. I'm  very conflicted about the browns. 

What I feel I got in common/ like in the brown is the thirst for knowledge, it doesn't seem to matter if it's something seemingly insignificant (today I learned the difference between a custard and a pudding haha, hey might come in handy one day!) I like your humor (humor is very important to me) and you don't seem to be to high on conflict in here?  

Although I read a lot, I'm not a very fast reader for various reasons, so the book contest/goal thing you got going is not something that would interest me much, how important is that for the browns?

Till now I haven't found much in the browns that doesn't interest me, or I feel goes over my head (hey I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer), would there usually be overly smarty Mc'smarty pants conversations in here? ?

I guess you can't help me with the last.. I have a bad habit of forgetting time and place when really letting my brown sides loose, I get so engrossed in what I'm doing wheter it's japanese or a new drawing technique..when I finally comes to, usually after hours, I'm totally exhausted..so I'm a little uncertain if a want to be "living" in an environment that would not only tempt me, but actually encourage those sides.. 

well the book challenge isn't a competition, its just an annual thing we do to track what we read and challenge ourselves to set personal goals on our reading. it also allows us to discuss books in common, etc. its a betterment/tracking thing at the core. (entirely voluntary in participation, though is one of our more popular threads) we're not really that competitive, well really at all, within the ajah. its all about bettering ourselves, our goals, increasing and sharing knowledge, asking questions, sharing interests, that type of thing here. 

you're entirely right, there isnt' pretty much any conflict here. we all respect each other's paths and stances. as to overtly smarty mcsmartypants discussion here, they can happen. usually within the pondering and study hall threads. but it all depends on what topic someone brings up, how in depth they want to go, or whether we feel like being flippant with it. but the can and do happen. usually? eh depends on our mood. which honestly goes for a lot around here. since we tend to lean to the introvert side, we all go through phases of activity and desire of in depth convos etc. as with everything here, participation is entirely dependent on whether you want to or have something to add. if there's a topic or conversation that feels above your head, it's an entirely Brown thing to do to just shrug and wander someplace else. 

haha well we would encourage and enable your trips down various rabbit holes of study. but is that really a bad thing?

3 hours ago, Cross said:

well the book challenge isn't a competition, its just an annual thing we do to track what we read and challenge ourselves to set personal goals on our reading. it also allows us to discuss books in common, etc. its a betterment/tracking thing at the core. (entirely voluntary in participation, though is one of our more popular threads) we're not really that competitive, well really at all, within the ajah. its all about bettering ourselves, our goals, increasing and sharing knowledge, asking questions, sharing interests, that type of thing here. 

you're entirely right, there isnt' pretty much any conflict here. we all respect each other's paths and stances. as to overtly smarty mcsmartypants discussion here, they can happen. usually within the pondering and study hall threads. but it all depends on what topic someone brings up, how in depth they want to go, or whether we feel like being flippant with it. but the can and do happen. usually? eh depends on our mood. which honestly goes for a lot around here. since we tend to lean to the introvert side, we all go through phases of activity and desire of in depth convos etc. as with everything here, participation is entirely dependent on whether you want to or have something to add. if there's a topic or conversation that feels above your head, it's an entirely Brown thing to do to just shrug and wander someplace else. 

haha well we would encourage and enable your trips down various rabbit holes of study. but is that really a bad thing?

Well that seems only positive..haha..shrug and walk of..I like that!  Yeah you would think learning would be exclusively positive, lol.. Sigh I have no idea what I'm doing... and snooping on maeras class I figured you can actually visit the warders too, I thought I eliminated them when choosing track..everytime I think I've managed to eliminate an ajah or disc someone does or say something that piques my interest and I think, maybe... I will definitely not be able to limit myself to three visits..bah.. 

Oh but thank you so much cross! ?

Edited by Lavandula

10 hours ago, Lavandula said:

I will definitely not be able to limit myself to three visits..bah.. 

Oh but thank you so much cross!

Lava, just remember that this is not a race. Enjoy yourself visiting everywhere and getting to know everyone, and eventually you'll know which place is going to fit you best. Let the knowledge develop organically. You have all the time in the world to do it - you don't have to make a decision until you're getting raised to Aes Sedai. And even then, if you're not ready yet, you can tell the MoN and she can wait with your ceremony until you ARE ready.

Please share this with the other aspies too.

15 minutes ago, Elgee said:

Lava, just remember that this is not a race. Enjoy yourself visiting everywhere and getting to know everyone, and eventually you'll know which place is going to fit you best. Let the knowledge develop organically. You have all the time in the world to do it - you don't have to make a decision until you're getting raised to Aes Sedai. And even then, if you're not ready yet, you can tell the MoN and she can wait with your ceremony until you ARE ready.

Please share this with the other aspies too.

Oh I know that! And James said I could visit them all if I felt like it, wich I will if need be, and for as long as I wanted too..(hence why I've been in the grays for nearly a month)

I'm sorry if I stressed you out mumsy, it was really not my intention?❤️ I've just been sick and chatty, and my brain can seem a little stressful to others, I'm always curious and if I wonder about something I have to ask right away or else next second it will be forgotten cause my brain moved on to something else..also the browns facinates me in general, and I especially like picking cross's brain wether it's art, books or just browns.

Here you go mumsy sit dow relax..

chair-270980_1280.jpg

*fluffs pillow* and your rooibos *hugs*

NjzEWxC.gif

LoL you're not stressing me out, sweetie - just wanted to make sure you know. *snuggles*

Thanks for the tea! *goes to put her feet up*

18 minutes ago, Elgee said:

LoL you're not stressing me out, sweetie - just wanted to make sure you know. *snuggles*

Thanks for the tea! *goes to put her feet up*

Thank you for watching out for me❤️