DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Raena

The Brown Ajah Library

On 02/01/2018 at 12:35 PM, Mrs. Cindy Gill said:

no worries, we shall keep our intuitively natural measurements and decimists shall have theirs. 

Nothing intuitive about it:blush: - see this is why the US has an imperial presidency :narg:

Feet/Inches are simple enough but that Fahrenheit is near impossible to translate quickly

3 minutes ago, Senexx said:

Nothing intuitive about it:blush: - see this is why the US has an imperial presidency :narg:

Feet/Inches are simple enough but that Fahrenheit is near impossible to translate quickly

If it was what you grew up with it would be intuitive, but the only thing I ever had to learn was 32 degrees is freezing for water. I can make no sense of Celsius without google either.

I hear it's insanely hot on your continent atm.  117 Fahrenheit?  That's hotter than I like my steaks cooked :sad:    Wish everything would even out a bit.

40c is 100F

Its been up to 52C - that's 125F

Yeah but the US is so backwards with most of its Institutions - the rest of the world converted to metric decades ago (yes even Canada)

Ya, and our sciences or what's left of them use metric. Our rulers and measuring cups and beverages and medicines are at least partly metric. My measuring cups try to get me to use the metric markings by placing them to the left of the handle. But I still use cups and teaspoons, and unless it's something very fiddly I can measure those things with my hands. Maybe in a few generations if we have any more generations we'll go metric. Maybe not. It's just a labeling system, and it doesn't really matter to me. Just not gonna try to teach my old brain new math tricks.

and dear lord 125 :ohmy:  

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

It's very peculiar how Americans have resisted the metric system. People say, "Wahh! It's too hard!!"

And yet we somehow made the switch to liters when it came to sodas. If I say, "Two liters" most every American knows how much that is because they have an example of it sitting in their refrigerator.

I don't know how we collectively decided to bottle our sodas in liter-based bottles, but we did.

I have no objection to anything I buy being measured in metrics. Of course industry switched because it still looks like 2 quarts and still costs the same but it's not quite two quarts.

I'm not replacing every cookbook and measuring utensil and, again I use this word because it's key for me, intuitive understanding of a system based on body measurements etc., that I have used for over 50 years and have no interest in relearning.

I will never understand the reasoning behind everyone deciding the math is too hard, let's dumb it down some and just move decimal points or multiply and divide by 10. But I don't understand any arbitrary things like that, such as celebrating the day we turn over a page on a calendar.

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

i think measurements for cooking, and distances and heights and weights would be worse for me. its a whole different way of thought that i think people from other countries dont understand. they're used to it. we're used to this. and it works. and i'm always met with 'its more precise' well yay? for the life of me i cant begin to understand how or why the average person would ever need to be so precise when it comes to how tall they are, or how much you weigh. i dont need to know my height to the centimeter. 

scientists and doctors sure. and they use the metric system. 

but everyday people? whats the point?

Yup, exactly. If I emigrated I'd have to get used to different things like that, but it's the last thing on my mind here and now. I do like when the nurse forgets to switch the scale off metric for a second but it's no real difference except in numbers.

On 1/7/2018 at 10:17 PM, Cross said:

it is a wonder how parents manage on such small amounts of sleep. 

Oh I missed this.

she manages by having lost her mind afaict. But she has stopped talking about not ruling out a third one so she's functional enough.

my mom and I have no tolerance for this kind of thing. I was very quiet and kept to myself so we were ok. My sister was colicky and loud and sociable, so... she got put into my room or Mom would have exploded.

my mom now babysits the kids so her hearing and personality must have changed plus they're so flipping cute and smart and funny and I guess grandkids get a pass.

It makes sense that the "point zero" for something, is actually zero. Like temperature. When water freezes, it is a logical starting point. To have that be "32" on a temperature system, that's just odd. :P 

Why have a system completely different from the rest of the world, complicating things for you AND them? Isn't it good if the "common people" understands what their doctor or teacher is talking about? 

I don't know, the metric system seems more logical and natural to me, everything so "clean" with 10 as the basis for the metric system, etc., compared to the US system, which just seems chaotic. But yes, I guess it depends on what you are used to.

For the same reason, Amerian recipes irritate me - I want precise measurements! I have no idea how to translate a  "cup of". Of course, when I've made a dish a few times, I can just try different things, but if it's the first time I'm making it, especially if I am serving it to someone, I want to make sure I make everything right. The American system seems more "sloppy" in a way. But if "a cup" is an actual, verifiable measurement, then I suppose it's different. I always assumed it was less of a set amount.

its a set amount. we literally have measuring cups. all uniform size/a,ount. its not as arbitrary as it sounds. we arent just grabbing random cups and using them the emasure things out, even though thats where the term derives from. 

haha cindy, yeah i hear things change for grandparents, what used to be intolerable is now tolerable

Edited by Cross

she was high footin' it and thought going under bushes would help but she really had to go. 

Which makes more sense 3.1 mi or 5 km?

The one without the decimal point.

And uh-oh I started something here

That's just silly. You might go 5.3 kilometers. Doesn't matter, garmin tells me when I'm there.  Dina fasch yerself over how we measure time and space and milk and flour. You do you, boo.

I don't have pets yet but these are my sweet as can be offspring.  There is some screaming at times but for the most part, cool and calm.I don't have pets yet but these are my sweet as can be offspring.  There is some screaming at times but for the most part, cool and calm.

erODTDA.jpg

Edited by thehumantrashcan

8 hours ago, thehumantrashcan said:

I don't have pets yet but these are my sweet as can be offspring.  There is some screaming at times but for the most part, cool and calm.I don't have pets yet but these are my sweet as can be offspring.  There is some screaming at times but for the most part, cool and calm.

erODTDA.jpg

Beautiful kiddles!