DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Raena

The Brown Ajah Library

They do take a lot of room.  I've tried planting pole beans with them to repair the soil but the beans outgrow the corn very quickly.  Oh, beans are fun to grow and yield pretty heavily, that was another thing we always planted.

Yes, both, and sugar snaps too. They like it very cool, so you might could grow them in winter if you have one? I liked sugar snaps best because they're edible at all stages, so it's really hard to ruin the harvest by forgetting them for a day or two.  They trellis well. The short varieties grow on any old twig you poke in the ground, and the tall ones climb fence and string as well as any pole bean.

Might not be pea country but still, ask your local nursery or cooperative extension. They're really helpful. 

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

Does it stay below 70 for a few weeks or months?

heres a good guide to peas and though I only paid attention to being able to plant them in the cold spring, looks like they'll do ok as long as it's not much above 70.  They grow fast so you wouldn't need a long cool season.

https://www.almanac.com/plant/peas

Ladies I've never grown anything like this, I'm impressed!

yeah usually for most of december-feb its 60-70. our average annual temp is 74 though been hotter lately. 

haha if they work in arizona they'll work here! 

Does it stay below 70 for a few weeks or months?

heres a good guide to peas and though I only paid attention to being able to plant them in the cold spring, looks like they'll do ok as long as it's not much above 70.  They grow fast so you wouldn't need a long cool season.

https://www.almanac.com/plant/peas

well that's a new glitch... every time I try to reply to the thread it pastes my last response into the box...  

anyway... I bet they grow fast there then.  My main problem with peas was having to replant because it got icy again.

i envy you the new garden. Gardening was one of my happiest places. And you could garden all year there.  Some years we didn't get 90 frost free days blech.

Yeah, 93 and 94 were worst. I replanted the tomatoes 4 times in 93. We had frost third week of June and first week of September.  We were zone 3 then. They changed us to zone 4 but this isnt a zone 4 winter. 

Sen comes into the library and removes all imperial measurements and replaces them with the much more sensible and easier to understand metric measurements.  Yes, even Fahrenheit becomes Celsius.  :loial: told me to do it.

geesh. that's the kind of weather i can't imagine. 

and dude. NOT cool! *grabs her cups and inches and fahrenheit back*

1 hour ago, Senexx said:

Sen comes into the library and removes all imperial measurements and replaces them with the much more sensible and easier to understand metric measurements.  Yes, even Fahrenheit becomes Celsius.  :loial: told me to do it.

welcome back!

um nope on the celcius here. most definitely not easier for me to understand.  but you translate for the like minded :)

6 minutes ago, Cross said:

geesh. that's the kind of weather i can't imagine. 

and dude. NOT cool! *grabs her cups and inches and fahrenheit back*

no worries, we shall keep our intuitively natural measurements and decimists shall have theirs. 

just getting colder reading about it. 

*sits next to her COMPLETELY right imperially measurement minded sister*

Yeah I’m with Sen on this one!

I have to use google to see exactly how cold/hot you guys are talking about haha

Same in reverse. No idea what those measurements convert to until we're at minus 40

if it helps...

0 is where it's too cold to live

100 is where it's too hot to live, and just barely above body temp 

an an inch is the length on one joint of your thumb

a teaspoon is the salt you can hold in the cente of your palm

a cup is what you can cup in two hands together

a pints a pound the world around

a liter and a quart are as close as makes no nevermind and 750 mls is not quite enough liquor in a bottle

a gallon is 4 quarts, and in water it weighs 8 lbs... back to the pints and pounds because math.

a yard is about a meter and my outstretched arms. A foot is a mans foot more or less.

28 grams is an ounce unless you're a nurse and for some reason they think it's 30 grams, but like all metrics thats just supposed to make math easier.

a henweighs about 5 or 6 pounds

a pound of meat feeds a family dinner. Two hungry adults or a family of 4 not so hungry.

and so on. 

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill