DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Raena

The Brown Ajah Library

I don't want to call this a "spam" thread. It's more a thread where you can come and hang out with the Brown Ajah, ask us questions, tell us how your day has been so far... and so on and so forth. If you don't feel like joining any of our current discussions you can come here and just hang out. If you want to get a little silly, that's fine too... :biggrin:

(This thread is the successor to Lia's Cozy Bookshop.)

I'll start. How's everyone doing today?

ooh- Nice. A library.

*wanders over to the sci/fi fantasy section*

Wow! This section is abnormally Huge!

I'm doing fine, Raena. I'm taking a study break online.

What a lovely place! I used to have the Library under my jurisdiction as part of my job at the Church Archives, so this brings back fond memories :biggrin:

As for my day: I suppose this would show my Brown streak, but I'm extremely happy today because my property books balanced (I'm the rental administrator for a company that rents out residential properties, and those books have to balance down to the cent or the auditors can't issue us our certificate to practice). I did a little "fist pumping into the air" thingy when I did the final subtotalling and it was zeros across the board. :unsure:

That's excellent, Elgee. I like to think I have an administrative mind but I'm sure that's up for dispute.

I think Raena has been reading my mind, like all the other Ajahs having their liaison officers, I thought the Browns could call ours The Librarian.

Then I thought no we should just encourage them to come see our little board. It is very nice to be able to say "our" now.

How am I? I'm tired, I was up late watching The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It is a good movie, a tad long if you include the ad breaks but also seems to be in some ways a Forrest Gump knock off. I also found the movie quite amusing.

And then I watched the latest episode of Chuck which seemed to go by real quick.

Being tired today didn't help me jumping through federal government legislative administrative hoops though. I had to though.

I'm home now, saw this thread pop up in my email inbox and here I am. It's been a day or two since I've been here so that's a good thing.

Lovely place you got here!

Since I'm visiting Brown territory... I feel bad for teachers. Really. Other than evil children and stuff, I'm having the hardest time "peer reviewing" three papers from my Rhetoric class. We were put into groups and we have to read/edit/analyze the papers of all others in our group, and the grammar... it makes me want to go jump off a cliff. I ran out of ink. Yes, out of INK with the first one I read. Am I really in college? Please tell me there are still literate people on this globe!!!! unsure.gif

Yes, Moon, you'll find all the books ever printed in this library. :biggrin:

Elgee - awesome! That must feel so good.

Well Senexx, you know what they say about great minds. :biggrin:

Alanna, I feel for you. :sad: I had to do something similar recently.

I love libraries. They are awesome.

AJ- I once heard a fellow student in a class (a graduating senior) Ask the teacher where to get "smart people magazines."

Lovely place you got here!

Since I'm visiting Brown territory... I feel bad for teachers. Really. Other than evil children and stuff, I'm having the hardest time "peer reviewing" three papers from my Rhetoric class. We were put into groups and we have to read/edit/analyze the papers of all others in our group, and the grammar... it makes me want to go jump off a cliff. I ran out of ink. Yes, out of INK with the first one I read. Am I really in college? Please tell me there are still literate people on this globe!!!! unsure.gif

Have you had to peer review before AJ? I have to do it every day at work, something to remember is that your probably reading a first or second draft so its not supposed to be perfect, and always find something you like about the paper and start with that. Then mark it up. Its very defeating to get a paper back and all you see is red. Also if possible use different colors or color other then red.

As to weather or not people are literate...well yes you'll find them. Also you don't know maybe they have learning disorders or are ESL or something. So maybe this language isn't there own. I feel for you though, its hard to not want to scream when you see a paper so bad that you can barely get through it.

*returns all her books on Nazi films*

I'm 99% done with my paper, and don't need these anymore!

*does a dance*

Yay! English books...*spots a Spanish section* Hmmm...me and my fascination with languages! lol

Alanna-don't feel bad. I tutor the remedial English classes at my college and that's pretty horrific what I'll see in there, but then again....even my fellow English major students don't always do so well. *sighs* And I'm wanting to go teach high school students? Can someone explain to me what is wrong with me?

I guess I'm just used to my papers having barely any grammatical/syntax errors on the first draft, but then I see others' and it bugs me having to correct something in every sentence. I was happy to find that one girl (who I always sit beside and peer review) had a lot less errors, so that's good, but the other two guys I'd never reviewed for before. One of them had sentence fragments galore! *sigh* In an 8 page paper. My mind was totally POOPED by the end of that.

Ah, I never use red pens, always black. . . ^.^

I use whatever color pen I have lol but it's crazy how many still have no sense of correct grammar or sentence structure!

Taking a break from the job hunt. Argh! I get so frustrated. I hate writing job applications.

Taking a break from the job hunt. Argh! I get so frustrated. I hate writing job applications.

ME TOO! I have to find a job.

I guess I'm just used to my papers having barely any grammatical/syntax errors on the first draft, but then I see others' and it bugs me having to correct something in every sentence. I was happy to find that one girl (who I always sit beside and peer review) had a lot less errors, so that's good, but the other two guys I'd never reviewed for before. One of them had sentence fragments galore! *sigh* In an 8 page paper. My mind was totally POOPED by the end of that.

Ah, I never use red pens, always black. . . ^.^

I know we're typically grammar stalwarts here but 'sentence fragments' are becoming commonplace and the use is generally accepted. I can't name them at present but there are some books that have won awards based on that writing style.

Maybe Shipping News was one?

*puts all my school books back on the Library shelf.*

I finished my last class yesterday.

Because I will probably complete my capstone over the summer, this may have been my last day of graduate school. :madmyrddraal:

This is why I'm making such a big deal of it. I've been in college since 2002 (When I got out of the Army).

Feeling kind of sad.

ANyone know where a Historian can get a job?

I know how you feel, Moon... I graduated in January and had been a university student pretty much since 2005. I felt (still feel sometimes) lost when I realized I needed to "grow up".

For something completely different... Dexter, my dog, turns 3 years old today. :biggrin:

It's weird. Madre (Spanish mom here in Spain) is mad at my roommate who is supposed to be leaving today. Roommate is getting all of her stuff packed up, but wants to leave one of her suitcases here while she travels for a month. Apparently she was just arguing with madre about being able to do this because Madre has been told by the program we came with that this is not allowed and roommate keeps fighting it. Irnoically, roommate could just leave her extra suitcase at the program office but apparently she now thinks our program is stupid and useless and that she should've just come over by herself....I think she's an idiot that doesn't know how to consider all of her options and also doesn't know how to respect others' space/sleep! She kept Madre and me up until almost 2am the other night arguing with her boyfriend about her getting all of her hair in dreadlocks.....she should be leaving in about three hours and I am very glad about this because her and I have not gotten along at all and now that Madre is mad at her, I'm ready for her to be gone so madre will be happy again!

And now she's printed off like ten different pages for various things of their paper and is still eating here even though technically she was supposed to be out of the house at midnight last night....crazy times....I'm going to go help get lunch ready.

yay! Happy birthday Dexter!

*offers Dexter Bacon//whatever he knows treats as*

Anything edible (besides his dog food) counts as a treat to him. Sometimes anything not edible as well. Silly dog. :biggrin:

Jea, that doesn't sound fun. What did she end up doing with the suitcase? Is she gone now?

Everything our dogs eat that is NOT dog food we call bacon.

Dog treat? Bacon.

Cheese? Bacon.

Pepporoni? Bacon.

Mommy and Daddy's Dinner? Bacon.

Food we found on the floor? Bacon.

Kanji and Ulmo LOOOVE Bacon.

Jea, I can understand a crappy roommate.

Rand Al'thor had a crappy roommate- his name was Lews Therin.

raena - she left the suitcase here still without asking and then thanked madre for letting her leave it here

and moon - nice one

All is well now though, I have an awesome new roommate whose family is originally from Holland and she's really nice and considerate so my last month here should be awesome :biggrin: