DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
yoniy0

Dragonmount Code of Conduct

The section on "Off-site boards" seems either very silly, or mildly suspicious. Is it really worth making rules against this? You can't possibly feel intimidated by the prospect of someone making a Facebook group for one of the DM social groups... or, can you? And why?

It's actually got to do with the history of DM. Gather round, if you want to hear the tale. *pats floor by the fireside, hands out hot chocolate*

Long, long ago, Jason created DM, the boards and the threads. And Jason looked at what he had created, and saw that it was good. And he placed Man on DM, and he told the Man . . . *pauses*

OK, it's a funny meme, but there's no way I can maintain it throughout.

Bottom line, when DM started, it had just a small server, and not much space for boards. Which was fine, for a while, since the site started small. But then it got bigger - too big for the servers to handle, especially as people created more RP Groups (then known as Divs) and Social Groups (then known as Orgs). So at some point, the decision was made to have the Orgs and the Divs host their primary activity at off-site boards. It was a poor solution (there was basically no activity on the DM-boards, so people had no idea what the groups did), but the only one available, so . . . A few years down the line, as DM upgraded its servers, we brought back the groups under the DM roof. That was traumatic for some of them, and some of the groups decided to keep their old forums active (for example, http://www.black-tower.org/boards/ used to be the home of DM's black tower), which was fine, but they needed to do it as a distinct site, not tied to DM. So, DM's black tower has continued and grown over here on DM, and that black tower site has continued and done well, but they are now two separate entities, without the 100% member overlap they used to have (and that number will continue to shrink as time goes by), and with a real distinct feel to them.

Bottom line, we've got no problem with anyone starting another site, or advertising it on here (within the rules above - no spam, you can link it in your sig, etc.). But what we don't want is a return to the days where group (or subgroup) activity is happening on a site other than DM. So if, say, the Gray Ajah suddenly decided that they wanted to create an off-DM forum to discuss gray Ajah issues, and started recruiting Gray Ajah members to go to it, that would be a problem. Hence the rule.

Make sense?

American football is better than soccer.

Well, it's in the Code of Conduct now, so that means everybody on DM has to agree that this is true.

P.S. Soccer is spelled S O C C E R. We Americans demoted it from FOOTBALL because we came up with such a way cooler sport that doesn't regard the arms as useless appendages unless you are wearing a bright shirt, and appropriated the name because it's a cool name. I will, however, concede that it doesn't make much sense to call our version of Football by that name, since there isn't really a whole lot of feet actually hitting the ball action. Maybe it should really be called Foot-and-Arm-Ball. Nah. That sounds like either a disease or a deoderant commercial. And hand-ball is already taken.

P.P.S.: What is a "soccer ball" called in all other parts of the world? I'm slightly ashamed to say I don't know. calling it a "ball" just seems so generic and it's hard to think of a "football" as something other than an elliptical object you can throw in a nice tight spiral.

edited for a typo.

Edited by Random Man

Yeah, it's called a football, and American football is actually spelled R U G B Y. Hardly anyone bothers spelling it at all, though. That would imply a level of interest most honest men find hard to summon.

American football is actually spelled R U G B Y.

Nah, don't think so. For starters, I can't say "Scrum" with a straight face. Sounds like something you shave off your face in the morning.

Nah, don't think so. For starters, I can't say "Scrum" with a straight face. Sounds like something you shave off your face in the morning.

Silly Americans, not realising every sport you watch and play was either invented somewhere else or came from another sport. :biggrin:

Basketball...invented in Canada, Football....Rugby, Baseball...Cricket

Edited by Finnssss

Silly Americans, not realising every sport you watch and play was either invented somewhere else or came from another sport. :biggrin:

Basketball...invented in Canada

You wish. Go a bit further south. First played by the Mayans.

Americans make existing sports better. I'm hastily awaiting the invention of Extreme Curling :biggrin:

Given some of the behaviour I've seen on some WoT forums I think this is an important measure taken by the mOds of dragonmount. Some might think it's harsh but I don't think they really understand the value of a good CoC.

Edited by Dewairah

what.... this isnt a laughing matter!!?? :blink:

If members refuse to submit to Dragonmount's CoC, they should be chastised most severely. Or banned! :angry:

I'm shocked at you cindy, truely shocked. :unsure:

Edited by Dewairah

I don't like your restrictions on swearing. Just say that no profanity is allowed. why restrict to the book curses? I don't see what's wrong with saying "what's the hell" for example. By your rules that would not be allowed as the concept of hell is not present in WoT and the characters could never say something like that.

also, what's the rule on acronym curses? I've seen some people use those.

Actually a hell is a really rough type of bar.

So I understand there are rules against racism... but is this just real world racism or does it count for racism against races in the series?

If I were to say "damn Illianers learn to speak english without saying "do" every second word" for example is that against the code of conduct? :P