DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

One power limitations

Zentari

The limitations of the One Power are something we have heard all too often but do they really stand ?

The ability to strengthen yourself with it is of course out of the question and yet there are ter'angreal that utilize it in that form (the bloodrings) so it seems that there are ways around that.How about some ter'angreal that are powered by the holder's channeling and give him increased durability or strength ?

Bringing back someone from the dead is also impossible and a taboo yet we have seen that one can be ripped from the Tel'aran'rhiod (spelling?).Given how the dream functions (souls go there until they are reborn) couldn't one simply dreamwalk , find the one the want and throw him/her back into the pattern ? Granted we have not seen all the aftereffects that action brings nor it's long term effects on the person or the wheel but it IS a form of bringing back someone from the dead.

Then we get to the part were I personally think every channeler would want to experience : Flying. It is possible to do so using the TP, but what if we used OP in a roundabout way like the other cases ? True , you can't levitate yourself but what about tearing up a piece of gravel , jumping on it and then moving in the air with you on top? It's not very effective and one could say tiring but shouldn't it be possible ? What about more roundabout ways like using some kind of ter'angreal that uses OP to propel itself ?

Knife of Dreams tour 28 October 2005 - Jason Wolfbrother reporting

JWB: Can a channeler fly without any ter'angreal or equipment (like sho-wings) if he or she knows the right weave?

RJ: No. (Flat out, no hesitation, no thinking. Simply put, NO.)

JWB: Is it possible to for two channelers to lift each other simultaneously so that they can hover, and "fly" that way?

RJ: No.

JWB: Is the One Power finite or infinite?

RJ: The One Power is finite but cannot be used up. When the weave is done, it returns to the Source. (The way he put is was 'finite but infinitely reusable'.)

JWB: Can a channeler fly without any ter'angreal or equipment (like sho-wings) if he or she knows the right weave?

JWB: Is it possible to for two channelers to lift each other simultaneously so that they can hover, and "fly" that way?

RJ: The One Power is finite but cannot be used up. When the weave is done, it returns to the Source. (The way he put is was 'finite but infinitely reusable'.)

So it can't be used for flight directly.Still the issue of using ter'angreals remains in the air.

Also, I can totally imagine him rolling his eyes at the second question.

Wait a second... The One Power is finite... the Source isn't replenished until after the weave is done... What if all the Aes Sedai and Asha'man channeled as big a weave as they could at the same time, and "used up" the power?

Just holding large amounts of power for long periods of time and not doing anything can be exhausting. Remember that Nynaeve almost killed herself doing that during the Cleansing. Even if they were able to coordinate every Aes Sedai and Asha'man in the world to max themselves out at once, it would probably only be for a few seconds before some started passing out or burning themselves out. And we have no idea if even that would be enough to make a dent in how much is in the source.

Remember that Rand came within a hair's breadth of destroying the world in VoG. If that didn't 'use up' all the power there was and leave every other male channeler in the world with nothing to draw for a few moments, I don't think they could 'use up' the power in the way you described.

One thing I wondered was if you had two channelers strong enough that each could use air to lift the other, could they lift and 'carry' each other, thus letting them both levitate, or is there a limitation against that? Deep thoughts.

At first glance I though "yep, why not" - but I wonder... Its still quite heavy to lift a person with the one power, maybe you need to be anchored. If you are levitating at the same time as levitating someone else - you may not have enough control, or may not be able to do it because you are mid air and not anchored... But then again, this is the OP we are talking about! And I have no idea how it really works, so yep! I'd say its possible!

:-)

Wait a second... The One Power is finite... the Source isn't replenished until after the weave is done... What if all the Aes Sedai and Asha'man channeled as big a weave as they could at the same time, and "used up" the power?

When Nynaeve and Rand were using the Chodean Kal, they didnt hold all the power in the wheel. Other people could still channel while the event was occuring.

Now, the chodean Kal is more powerful than the whole white tower channeling with all of the angreal they have, and thats just the female. I am assuming this is the same with the male.

Both the Chodean Kal are destroyed.

There is no way, even if every single channeler in the world channeled at the same time, they could reach the amount of power needed to "use up" the TS.

There is no way, even if every single channeler in the world channeled at the same time, they could reach the amount of power needed to "use up" the TS.

Depends on how angry Nynaeve can get I guess.

(Sorry... I just... couldn't resist.)

Depends on how angry Nynaeve can get I guess.

(Sorry... I just... couldn't resist.)

hahaha. Nice one.

Thats it, its my new theory. Nynaeve is going to destroy the DO for good.

The DO will kill Rand, after he seals the bore, and Nynaeve will get angry, rip open the bore again and take a switch to the poor bastard until "it" flees the pattern in fear.

So it can't be used for flight directly.Still the issue of using ter'angreals remains in the air.

Groans at pun.. :biggrin:

I don't like that he refused to explain why not

The only reason I can think of is the same reason you can't raise yourself into the air by lifting both feet at once, or make a sailing boat with you in it move by blowing on the sail, no matter how strongly you blew.

I think it's because the channeler acts as the fulcrum even though no actual force is placed on them. As in, you can lift something heavy off of the ground with the Power but your legs don't start buckling under the weight. But you can't lift yourself off the ground for the same reason you can't lift yourself off the ground even if you're technically strong enough to do so.

As far as flying with the Power, I don't see why not if you're creative with it. Sure you can't levitate yourself. But we know for a fact that at least solid simple shapes can be created. We saw a sword of Air briefly created. Why not seats? Wings? But this would probably be tiring, and hard to control, and blah blah blah. So why do it? You'd probably end up crashing into the ground and dying before you're really good at it :)

As far as flying with the Power, I don't see why not if you're creative with it. Sure you can't levitate yourself. But we know for a fact that at least solid simple shapes can be created. We saw a sword of Air briefly created. Why not seats? Wings? But this would probably be tiring, and hard to control, and blah blah blah. So why do it? You'd probably end up crashing into the ground and dying before you're really good at it :)

Maybe it's easier to dodge fireballs and balefire that way.

On a sidenote: Don't give Sanderson ideas please. His Mistborn series reminded me too much of silly American superhero comics already with people jumping and flying around. I'm glad that the characters don't do that.

I think the reason why you can't use the One Power to make yourself fly is because the thing you are trying to lift is the source of the power, yourself.

It would be akin to attaching a giant fan to the back of a boat and aiming it at the sails. Its not going to make the boat move, because as much as it pushes on the sail to move forward, the same force is pushing in the opposite direction.

rand has the school

does this world have kites? if so

i expect hang gliders to be invented via the school, we already have a steam engine and gunpowder.

all a channeler would have to do in that instance is ...push behind thus fly via the hangglider.

also can do a sword of air, there are so many other things that should be useable/done by a channeller that is not done

because they have not thought about it.

Using an Angreal or a circle to achieve the necessary power, flight shouldn't be too difficult. It merely requires knowledge of aerodynamics.

All the channeller would have to do is to make themselves an airplane out of air/earth, add a prop to the front or a jet engine, and use the power to spin the prop/engine.

Flight achieved.

Too bad none of the characters have knowledge of modern engines or flight, eh? (My sarcasm may or may not be staring Rand Al'Therin in the face...)

I wonder how thoroughly RJ thought this through... We've seen AS speed boats up and down rivers using Water and/or Air, and we've seen AS create useable objects from Air. Is it such a stretch to imagine an AS creating a glider-like object and holding onto it? Or more simply just using an actual glider and channeling Air appropriately to fly around? Of course this requires the AS to discover the technology of flight more so than the imagination to use Air to create uplift but whatev... It only takes one Leonardo who can channel :)

Honestly, I'm not sure why an AS could not just create such a powerful gale of wind that they were just blown skyward even w/o a glider. Air is used to create the wind but it is not the wind.

(Similarly and AS could pick up a rock and hurl it at them self and be hurt by the rock). Sure it would be a bumpy ride, but an AS is not immune to the wind. If an AS created such a condition with Air that a tornado formed I'm pretty sure the thing would be dangerous to everyone including the AS. It's not like it would magically pass over or through the AS like he was a ghost.

Archived