DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

From the Dark to the Light

Southpaw89

Lanfear. It's kind of been hinted at with the end of ToM, and of all the characters, she's the one with

1) excellent knowledge of the Bore, which gives a plot reason for her to defect and

2) love for LTT, which is potentially something that'll make her switch.

who do you think is most likely to turn from the dark side to the light? Moridin, Cyndane (Lanfear), Graendal, or none? State why you think so since there is some evidence (for some more than others) for at least one of the above people.

I tremble with rage at the absence of Demandreds name!!!!!!!

Rand: *captures Demandred* Eyyyy old buddy! So remind me, why did you go Dark again?

Demandred: Because I was second to you, and I was born a day after you.

Rand: Interesting. You are second to Ishamael, and you were re-inserted after he was.

Demandred: I couldnt help him coming back first!

Rand: You couldnt help being born after me either.

Demandred: ... I see.

Rand: Seriously, your reasons for turning sound really wrong. Have you ever considered the possibility that you were 13x13ed?

Demandred: Never!

Rand: So if my colleague here had figured out an anti-13x13 weave it would have no affect on you, right? Then surely you would sit there and take the weave like a man.

Demandred: Yeah ok theres no need, I been an idiot. Moridin has this fortress in the Blight and is stealing your Ashaman... by 13x13... Damn I been an idiot!

There is plenty of foreshadowing (and parallels too!) that Lanfear will betray her fellows and Moridin. But is it the same as coming back to the Light?

I figure she will have her regrets, but isn't about to become a good person suddenly.

There won't be much time for contemplation either. The same indicators seem to say that she is a dead duck, soon after the betrayal.

Mmmhh, probable contenders are Moridin and Lanfear to me. Moridin because he is not waiting for something from the Dark One, and Lanfear because she never really was devoted to the Dark One.

But the question on the other way around interests me too. Can a light side character turn to the dark side, and not because of a 13*13, but because of despair, greed, need etc...?

Guest cindy.

Can a light side character turn to the dark side, and not because of a 13*13, but because of despair, greed, need etc...?

i think that's probably the most common way people turn to the dark. despair, greed, need, and all.

who do you think is most likely to turn from the dark side to the light? Moridin, Cyndane (Lanfear), Graendal, or none? State why you think so since there is some evidence (for some more than others) for at least one of the above people.

Rand: *captures Demandred* Eyyyy old buddy! So remind me, why did you go Dark again?

Rand: Interesting. You are second to Ishamael, and you were re-inserted after he was.

Rand: Seriously, your reasons for turning sound really wrong. Have you ever considered the possibility that you were 13x13ed?

Rand: So if my colleague here had figured out an anti-13x13 weave it would have no affect on you, right? Then surely you would sit there and take the weave like a man.

Demandred: Yeah ok theres no need, I been an idiot. Moridin has this fortress in the Blight and is stealing your Ashaman... by 13x13... Damn I been an idiot!

Hah! I love this.

I actually think Moridin is a likely contender though. I seem to recall that Brandon intimated that Demandred would be playing a pretty big role, and what's bigger than Nae'blis after Moridin has gone through his own Veins of Gold moment?

Meh. Moridin turning good is more wishful thinking though. Way too much True Power usage, methinks. But it'd be pretty awesome. He may go all Darth Vaderish and, whilst dying, reveal to Rand something very crucial for sealing the Dark One, I guess.

When I said light sided characters, I meant MAJOR light-sided characters. I totally agree that greed, despair and so on are the reasons why people turn to the dark.

Concerning Moridin, I just don't think that he would change if he turned to the light. I mean, he's on the dark side pretty much because of his philosophy. He really doesn't give a poo of the Dark One. If he had to turn back to the light, it's only because he'd somehow realize how hopeless the Dark One's quest is, or his own nihilistic philosophy. He wouldn't radically change as we saw Rand change. Instead, he's just be Moridin, whether dark or light wouldn't matter. Sure, if he is light-sided, he would see some future so he'd tend to kill a bit less people, but he'd still be the Grand Moridin we know. My thoughts eh.

Hah! I love this.

I actually think Moridin is a likely contender though. I seem to recall that Brandon intimated that Demandred would be playing a pretty big role, and what's bigger than Nae'blis after Moridin has gone through his own Veins of Gold moment?

Meh. Moridin turning good is more wishful thinking though. Way too much True Power usage, methinks. But it'd be pretty awesome. He may go all Darth Vaderish and, whilst dying, reveal to Rand something very crucial for sealing the Dark One, I guess.

hahaa excellent Drekka.

I know what you mean Elend, but here's my pet theory. (Of course, dont take it too seriously.)

Demandred hates Rand.

Demandred in AMOL is the "biggest player".

Rand is fated to die.

Demandred kills Rand.

He thinks. well, now thats over, it wasnt as good as I thought. What the hell have i been doing, going to the Shadow and such because of this madman?

*Turns back to the Light teams up with Mat to create SuperGeneral Matdred.*

yeah it makes you wonder what BS meant when he said that Demandred would be the biggest player of the dark. I'm thinking it's gonna have the most to do with the attack on Caemlyn. I think that is his doing and he's gonna be the main general

It's been made a big deal with Murandy and Andor have been at odds withe eachother, if he's Roedran or Dem's proxy I can see him throwing his newly consolidated army at Andor.

What makes me sometimes think that Moridin may return to the light is that Sha'rah (sp?) game he likes to play so much. He believes the best way to win is to turn the fisher or something. Well, Rand is no longer blind and crippled. But Moridin is. Still, though, he is super super TP addicted, like some Requiem for a Dream mess, and even if he does somehow turn to the light, I doubt he will do anything major for them. Probably just destroy himself or something, maybe by absorbing ridiculous amounts of the TP.

Could be that that never happens though. There's no really strong evidence of it. I think Lanfear has already done some questionable things, but I am not sure she would actually turn to the Light, though I don't doubt some of her actions later may prove useful to the good guys. She might try to protect Rand or something.

Guest Emu on the Loose

Hah! If Demandred turns to the light I'll laugh for sure. It'd be the best plot twist of the whole series.

Demandred might be the biggest player for the Shadow for any number of reasons. It could be that he'll provide an extra boost for the Shadow at a pivotal moment. I can imagine a scenario where he kills Moridin or Cyndane if one of them is abandoning the Shadow.

As to that question, both Moridin and Mierin are plausible candidates for abandoning the Shadow. Graendal used to be, but not anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I always wondered about a light-side version of getting 13x13d. The balance of the pattern would suggest that such a thing might exist. Obviously something would need to be substituted for the Myrddraal, and I don't suppose 13 fuzzy bunnies would work. Perhaps it would take 13 angreal or 13 male/female pairs of channelers.

If it is too much like compulsion, then there would be resistance to using it from light-siders. The process might be more acceptable if it consisted of removing the mark of the dark one and release from the dark oaths that bind the Black Ajah. That would restore the person to free will and allow them to repent. We know that Rand has severed some ties to the DO, so at least some of the links created by the DO are susceptible to breaking. We also saw Nynaeve removing taint induced madness and compulsion. I don't think removing other links to the DO is out of the question.

I find it a bit ironic that the light-siders seem to have little interest in turning or reforming darkfriends or Forsaken when they are found. The first impulse is generally to still them and cut off their heads at the earliest possible moment. The one notable exception was Moghedien, and good things did come from E&N not turning her over for punishment.

Archived