DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin's Future

David Casto

So... this isn't much of a theory but more of an idea I've had for a while. Who else thinks that after the last battle, Perrin will be the ruler of all of the westlands not ruled by Seanchan? I don't have much evidence but I feal that's where his arc is headed. Thought?

It could happen. If you think about it Caemlyn is being attacked. it could fall (camelot anyone). All of the two rivers forces are with Perrin. Elayne may just be forced to team up with Rand and only be able to hold Carhein. Perrin goes in and sets up and sticks around.

I don't see why you'd feel that Perrin's arc is heading that way. He certainly doesn't want to rule any more than he already does. He just submitted himself to Elayne's authority. I don't see Elayne or any other monarchs submitting to him, no would he want that. He is quite well set by the plot to be the ruler of the Two Rivers, of Ghealdan (as a liege lord of Alliandre) and of Saldaea but that's all. He is going to get the Saldaean throne because Min had a viewing of him and a broken crown. Tenobia looks set to die in the LB. She is not married and has no kids.

He is going to get tired of Fail and hook up with Berelain. Smashing that lovely rear end should cheer him up.

Unfortunately, Galad is the one who's probably going to be... ahem... tapping on that excellent posterior.

Ive always thought out of the three boys, Perrin would be the one to help usher the world into a new Age, so to speak. He'll be there to pick up the pieces, keep alliances, etc etc. Because he is just that sort of person. He does his duty, even if he doesnt like it. If it came down to it, Perrin would rule, and Faile would half convince him to do so. Because she knows - and we know - that he actually would make an awesome ruler despite what he thinks. I think we'll see further epiphany of his by the end of the series and he'll realise what he is truly destined to do.

Because she knows - and we know - that he actually would make an awesome ruler despite what he thinks.

I certainly don't think Perrin'd make an awesome ruler. In fact, he'd be mediocre at best without the huge help from the Pattern he's constantly getting, which will probably be gone after the Last Battle. He's really lacking in knowledge and experience in politics, economics and plenty of other things a good ruler has to know. Most of his "good leadership" has been in battles and preparations for battles, nearly everything else has been thanks to Faile, who for all her faults is actually way better suited for a monarch or an Emperor type position.

Because she knows - and we know - that he actually would make an awesome ruler despite what he thinks.

I certainly don't think Perrin'd make an awesome ruler. In fact, he'd be mediocre at best without the huge help from the Pattern he's constantly getting, which will probably be gone after the Last Battle. He's really lacking in knowledge and experience in politics, economics and plenty of other things a good ruler has to know. Most of his "good leadership" has been in battles and preparations for battles, nearly everything else has been thanks to Faile, who for all her faults is actually way better suited for a monarch or an Emperor type position.

Why would it be gone after the Last Battle? If he is meant to clean up all the pieces, then theres no reason why his ta`vereness won't still be there.

In any case, Perrin is far better then you give him credit for. He has an army made up of various different factions and nations and civilisations and whatnot, and does a good job of keeping them together. Sure there is some friction, but as shown by the end of ToM he handled all that. And the way he handled Elayne, as well as Tylee and her Seanchan buddies shows he is alot more understanding of politics then some realise. Sure he is no Moiraine or Thom, but with a bit of help from Faile, he could be a force. Then you add in someone like Balwer to help him out.

Perrin inspires his people like no one else. Morgase knew what she was talking about when she told Elayne not to go up against Perrin.

If he keeps the ta'veren powers, yes, he could do well, but then with such a powerful help from the Pattern that's not much of an achievement. But still there are many better choices, if there's to be an Emperor-like position - people who don't just whine "I don't want to lead" for 10 books and leave most of the actual leadership work to their wives. Despite what fantasy tropes claim, extremely reluctant leaders rarely do a good job, and Perrin mostly managed so far thanks to the Pattern's help and Faile's knowledge and skills.

He'd do very well as Two Rivers Lord and Saldaean's co-ruler, sticking mostly to military leadership in the latter case and leaving the politics and economics to Faile. But a supreme ruler of the Westlands seems way beyond his abilities and desires.

Archived