DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who are you?

ineedfourberfs

Hey sports fans, consider this the sign in thread, only it won't update, and you don't really have to do it. In an effort to cross polinate across our codes, though, post your interests, your teams, and a little bit about you.

Myself? I am Berf, 26yo Australian Beer Drinker, and your local friendly referee.

I am a huge fan of the world game, that is to say football.

I am a huge fan of the Central Coast Mariners, my local team, who came second in the league last season and lost the grand final by letting Brisbane get two goals in the final 3 minutes of extra time, forcing a penalty shootout which we lost, the third GF we have failed to win. It can be hard being a Mariners fan.

I am a huge fan of Liverpool FC, and selling Torres for Suarez and Carroll is looking like the best decision ever. I still have nightmares about the beachball.

I am a follower of Barcelona, Valencia, and this season I'm quite enjoying Tottenham's run. Van Der Vaart is undoubtedly the purchase of the season.

I play football for the might Berkeley Vale Wombats, mens all age. We won the Grand Final last season, in our first season together (13 new players out of 16). Our season kicked off again last weekend, with a disapointing 0-0 draw in which yours truly hit the post 3 freakin' times. I play RW or CAM, and I absolutely love every second I'm playing.

So whats your deal?

I'm Wolf, 17yo from the Emerald Isle. Massive sports fan, both domestic sports and foreign. Massive soccer fan, and avid supporter of the boys in red from Merseyside :biggrin: [as are most Irishmen], massive Leinster rugby fan, Pittsburgh Steelers fan, Pittsburgh Penguins fan and I follow Aussie Rules too. [if its fast and hard hitting, I like it lol]. I play my native sports of Gaelic football and Hurling, and I play both at left corner forward, and I've represented my county 6 times in Hurling. Hugs F-1 fan [Ferrari man] and I like a bit of MotoGP too. :biggrin:

Corki signing in from London!

Huge sports fan. A few of my teams are:

- For football, it is Southampton FC. Been through the lows (i.e. relegation to League 1, administration, docked points), but at least we are riding high at the moment. Hopeful of promotion from League 1 back up to the Championship this year, and we will be regaining our place in the Premier League shortly.

- For rugby, it is the Exeter Chiefs and Munster. I have always loved how Munster play, and they have some great players. I don't know why I am an Exeter fan, but I am. I am loving the fact they are doing so well in the Guinness Premiership this year!

- When it comes to cricket, it is Hampshire, my home county. It was amazing while we had Shane Warne as our overseas player, and we have built on what he started.

- Pittsburgh Steelers for American Football. Blame my godfather for that! Though I do enjoy watching the New Orleans Saints.

As for sports I play, at the moment, it is only cricket, which is for a local club. I never got the chance to play at junior level for Herefordshire at cricket (when I lived that way) due to their selection policy, even though I was good enough.

I used to play rugby union but have stopped due to fear of injuries that would handicap work. I did dabble in hockey (field). I am torn between either rugby or hockey as my winter sport once I qualify as an accoutant.

Not much of a sports participant here, while I am in okay shape, I've never been fit or coordinated enough to actually be part of a team. I get more fun out of watching anyway.

For American football, I enjoy the Buffalo Bills, even though they haven't been worth watching much the last several years. In hockey (ice), I like the Buffalo Sabres. They've been doing better than the Bills have, and fresh ownership looks promising.

In college sports (NCAA) I most closely follow the Syracuse University teams. I bleed orange. I also root for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish because I am Irish-American, but that tends to be just in football and not other sports. That's gotten more complicated since ND became a de facto member of the Big East in football. They claim to be still independent without a conference, but the Big East teams take up several games on the annual schedule and ND has a spot in the Big East pecking order when it comes to bowl game selection. I say if it walks like a duck...

Baseball is a sport I enjoy watching but I don't root for a specific team much. Mostly I pull for whoever is playing the Yankees. I do own a St. Louis Cardinals cap as a souvenir of attending one of their games.

In football (soccer), I find it hard to care about the EPL, Serie A, La Liga, or any of the other big-time power leagues. While I respect the talent and level of play, know intellectually that they are the best leagues on Earth, I've never been able to form any emotional attachment to any specific club in England, Spain, etc. When I don't care in the slightest about any of the teams, I don't get much excitement from the games. I still watch as a neutral sometimes. Being of Irish descent, when I began taking an interest in the game, I immediately began checking out the domestic league in Ireland, and follow Cork City FC because that's where my family was based before immigrating to the US. It can get difficult, even with the full resources of the internet, for anyone in the USA to actively follow a European club in a lesser league. From stuff I have read online, I seem to care more about the clubs in Ireland than many of the soccer fans who are actually in Ireland. (What part of Ireland are Liverpool and Celtic located in? Answer: None.) I also follow the Republic's national team, and the US team. I don't have a US-based club I root for much; I just haven't been able to find one that stokes the fires inside me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!!

Huge sports fan here, have been my entire life =) And I bleed Blue and Gold, from South Bend, IN. Huge Notre Dame fan, have been my entire life. Also a big Cubs fan, yeah, that can suck a lot. btw, Notre Dame is more of a de facto Big Ten team in football, always have been, they play Michigan, Michigan St. and Purdue every single year, then they play the military acadamies, and I think Pitt is the most consistent Big East team they play, and sometimes Syracuse. But they've talked of adding them to the Big Ten for decades now.

Anyways, HUGE Green Bay Packers fan!! Thanks to my uncle, who was a huge fan, and watched them every single weekend when I was a kid and just rubbed off.

I actually love football (the soccer type) too. But MLS is a joke, wish I had good football to watch over here, but there really isn't, so I don't really have a fav team, but I do love when the World Cup comes around =)

And hockey just rocks, love watching a good game of hockey, regardless of who's playing.

The MLS is a canny beast. Better than nothing, though! Perhaps your grandchildren will have something to be proud of :D

Sarcasm aside, it must be doing better than the A-League, two teams folden in 6 years and crowd figures on the downward slope...

Hopefully the BEST EVER SEASON last season will be enough to turn it around for Version 7.

Hey there!

Supernerd4life from Notre Dame, IN (Pasquerilla East if any of the alum are interested). Definitely bleed blue and gold alongside Troilen- I have been fortunate enough to meet our new hope, Brian Kelly!

I love European soccer and am pumped that Spain won the world cup (I have some Spaniard ancestry).

I hail from central Jersey so I'm also a huge fan of my G-men... it's sort of cliche but I think they ought to be called the Jersey Giants.

Who Are You?

I woke up in a Caemlyn doorway,

a Guardsman knew my name! He said

'you can go back to the inn tonight,

if you can get up and walk away'

I stagged back through a Waygate,

when a breeze blew back my hair!

I remember throwing punches around,

but there was nothing there!

So Who are you?!

Anyway, I'm Delrian. 28 from Vancouver.

I'm a fan of all the local teams: The BC Lions in the CFL, the Whitecaps in the MLS, and of course the Canucks.

In the NFL, I haven't really had a team since Montana retired, though I do like the Jags and the Titans.

In boxing, most of the guys I like have taken a beating, though Bute and Molitor are still doing well, and Sergio Mora is doing pretty well.

In MMA I like Forrest Griffin even though he hasn't been doing well in a while, GSP obviously, Jose Aldo.. I'm gladd the UFC picked up the WEC, because the Featherweights and Bantamweights are where it's at. Super fast paced action.

As for me I've been boxing an kickboxing on and off for years, though gym fees are expensive here, so I can rarely afford to go enough months consecutively to get them to let me fight amateur. I've also been picking up some wrestling and BJJ from an MMA gym in town. I have the advantage of being a tall welterweight whose best friend is the same height and a heavyweight, so I'm quite used to sparring and wrestling with someone my own height but significantly stronger.

Other than that, I played (American/Gridiron) Football as a kid and rugby in high school. There's a local Ball Hockey league I keep wanting to join, but every year I either don't have the money or my work schedule won't accomodate it.

I agree that the Featherweight and Bantamweight classes are where it's at. However I'm not sure if I like the fact that UFC took over WEC, I guess it'll give them more publicity, but I used to get WEC fights on tv here all the time. Either way, long as they keep the weight classes it should be ok I reckon. =)

Diehard University of Iowa fan no matter what sport. Kind of a Notre Dame fan since my wife likes them and we live close to campus. Dallas Cowboys fan ever since I knew what football was. I started watching when guys like Roger Staubach, Drew Pearson and Too Tall Jones were playing. Big Pittsburgh Penguins fan. Don't know why, I just like them. I will watch any sport and enjoy it but not a big fan of anything other than football and hockey so no real team favs anywhere else.

• 1 month later...

From LA, I can only be a Laker, Dodger, Raider (they were in LA when I started watching) and Galaxy. I guess Hockey Kings if I have to pick one, but I never watched a full game before.

Other than that, Mexico is my futbol team. I know it goes against real fandom... but USC in football, UCLA in basketball. I used to just go UCLA all the way but their football team has been good like 1 year in my life

My sports of the season are baseball and formula 1. Since I'm from St. Louis I'm a Cardinals fan. There are only a handful of things better in life than attending a Cardinals game, especially at the new stadium. There doesn't even need to be a game you can walk by the stadium and feel the residual energy from a game.

As far as formula 1 goes I'm a massive Ferrari fan. I can't wait till next year when the states gets another race. This time it will be on a new track being built in Austin Texas. I hope to be there! When it was in Indy I was there and it was an amazing time. Even with the race being in the middle of America you would find people from all around the world. Formula 1 isn't popular at all in the states so you could get tickets really cheap. They were so cheap that people we talked to from Germany saved money buying tickets to the U.S. Grand Prix at Indy, flying over, paying for hotel and food than for paying for tickets to a grand prix in their own country!

When it gets to be football season (the American kind) I root for the Dallas Cowboys unless they are playing the Rams. I'm not much of a hockey fan but when the Blues make it to the Stanley Cup I'll jump on that band wagon and bleed blue.

I was a Dallas Mavericks fan for the amount of time it took them to beat the Heat. Now I could care less. biggrin.gif

I know I'm forgetting something....

I'm 32, and live, breathe, eat, and sleep ice hockey. I've been playing since I was 3, and haven't stopped. I coached a year as well in preparation for when my son is old enough to be brainwashed into playing. Yes, brainwashed. Just in case.

My favorite NHL team was the Hartford Whalers, who ceased to exist in 1996. I've been "homeless" since, as I can't really bring myself to root for the Boston Bruins, even though they are in the Finals. Meh. I guess I should just root for the closest 'home team'.

I play 2-3 times a week in 2 different leagues. Love every second.

As to other sports, none exist. Football? Not enough action and too many whistles. Basketball? I like to play sometimes, but too many whistles. Soccer (football)? I can appreciate the stamina involved, but not enough action to suit me. Baseball? Don't even get me started. I can't sit through a game without wanting to either fall asleep or poke my eyes out. Too slow for me. Not enough action.

As far as formula 1 goes I'm a massive Ferrari fan.

Paet, you just got more awesome :biggrin:

It wasn't your typical journey but typical journeys are boring. biggrin.gif

Formula 1 in the states has always been a challenge to view. I remember growing up catching some races on ABCs wide world of sports, but other than catching Monaco I don't think it was till the mid to late 90's that I started seeing races on a regular basis.

Even during the mid 90's it was hit or miss for the races, but I don't think anyone who was half aware of anything in 1994 could miss the death of Senna. It was also Schumachers first title with Benetton and as teams went you couldn't be more flamboyant. I became a Schumacher fan and in 1996 when he went to Ferrari I became a Tifosi. I had a tough year in 1997 b/c Jacques Villeneuve left the American Cart series the previous year and I was a fan of his and he and Schumacher came down to the final race of the year to decide the championship, with Jacques winning.

In 1998 we finally got a cable channel which broadcast all the races live and I've only missed a handful of races since then. I live and breath formula 1. When it was coming to Indy we went out Friday, Saturday and Sunday and those are some great weekends.... even the race that wasn't a race when the michelin teams all pulled into the pits and refused to race.

If it wasn't for the fact that Seb in his Red Bull was smackin Hamilton around the track weekend and week out, I'd be sick of Ferrari loosing. But I have faith Alonso will bring them to the top again.

Ferrari have the driving talent, its just the car isnt quick enough. red Bull and McLaren seemed to work better with the new no refuelling way the races are nowadays. That hurt Ferrari. All their tactics pit-stop wise went out the window. I know thats not fully to blame, but I feel it is a main reason. We're just not quick enough

• 2 months later...

From LA, I can only be a Laker, Dodger, Raider (they were in LA when I started watching) and Galaxy. I guess Hockey Kings if I have to pick one, but I never watched a full game before.

Other than that, Mexico is my futbol team. I know it goes against real fandom... but USC in football, UCLA in basketball. I used to just go UCLA all the way but their football team has been good like 1 year in my life

Hey Don!! I'm from SoCal Too.

The only team I would say I bleed for is USC football. I've been a fan since I was little when John McKay was the coach and Anthony Davis played Tailback.(OJ was already a Bill). The 80's and 90's were rough but it is good that the team is decent now.

The other teams I follow are the Angels, Lakers and Kings. For the NFL I am starting to lean Seahawks due to Pete. They need a QB though so not expecting much this year. I like to watch national team soccer but can't sit through a MLS game. Horrible. :sleep:

Archived