DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who do you feel most sorry for?

Callern

As the title says, which of the "important" characters in WoT do you feel most sorry for, and why?

I'll start.

Alanna Mosvani. Poor girl didn't know what she was up to, when she bonded Rand. Not only does she have to live in fair because she don't know if Rand will kill her, as she can feel his anger. But she also have to live with knowing the feelings Rand has for the three other girls, and other interests. As Rand is a powerful and handsome guy, I would think it to be rather natural that Alanna would be fascinated by him. As her feelings grow, she will have to live with not only being denied the feelings in return, but she will know the golden veins Rand has for the three others. Poor woman.

What do you think?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, for some reason, felt really bad for Mat after he found out about Tylin. And felt really sorry for Perrin when he went back to Emond's Field the first time, and found he was the only one left. I would probably say I felt worse for Perrin though.

I can't really think of any other times I've felt particularly sorry about another character, besides Moiraine's frustrations.

I feel sorry for Alanna, but only because she lost a Warder. I feel sorry for all the Warders/Aes Sedai who have experienced their bonder/bondee die.

As for who I feel most sorry for...has to be a tie between Min and Nynaeve. Nynaeve cos she's married AND bonded to someone who's basically commiting suicide. Min because she has to share Rand with Aviendha and Elayne, who are two of the most annoying characters in the books IMO. I mean seriously knowing the guy has such poor taste can't be good for her self esteem.

I feel sorry for Rand. His entire story arc up to VoG is basically him being psychologically tortured, physically tortured, going insane, having people try to manipulate him, becoming hated by a good portion of the world, surviving assassination attempts, and basically just getting beaten up in every way possible. People start trying to control him (Egwene/Elayne/Alanna/etc) and the amount of people he can trust is probably in the single digits. Plus he loses a hand and is kind of fated to die.

I feel sorry for Lan, too. That guy's led a tough life.

And Perrin, for being married to Faile :biggrin:

I feel sorry for Cadsuane.

Look at where she was in KoD. She was easily in line for the title of Most Kickass Aes Sedai. I mean Moiraine did well at the docks, showed some real courage. Yes, Cadsuane is a bully. But she could bully a Forsaken and you could tell she was capable beforehand. She was all-business in KoD and she didnt even flinch when Semirhage was revealed. Cadsuane was well in line to be Moiraines replacement, with the Semirhage thing and the agreement with Sorilea. But then... Shaidar got involved, and because nobody knows about Shaidar Cadsuane took all the flack, when there was jack all she could do about it. Now everyone hates her because shes a bully, which she always was, and was awesome for before precious Rand got hurt. By something Cadsuane or Rand or the Creator could do nothing about. Suddenly, the Dragon Reborn acts like the Nae'blis, and because Cadsuane is still a bully and doesnt have a complete change of character, people hate her for the outcome, despite the fact that she still did break Semirhage.

/end of rant

Mat. Period.

He might have found his path, but it's always begrudgingly. Perrin and Rand have some of the same forced into a situation thing, but they accept it. Mat is right now almost everything he professed to hate.

Mat. Period.

He might have found his path, but it's always begrudgingly. Perrin and Rand have some of the same forced into a situation thing, but they accept it. Mat is right now almost everything he professed to hate.

except we know he likes it all, except for the title that is all.

easily rand, getting repeatedly tortured mentally, physically, and every way possible. Plus getting mind raped by alanna, treated like a monster, having people scheme all the time in how to destroy him and profit.

Rand, of course. Just the pressure from knowing that you are the only one who can save the world is enough to drive most people crazy, and then there are the unhealing wounds, the effect of the taint, being put in a box for weeks, and all that. He's been through so much even the loss of a hand barely registered on him, that's how much he had suffered.

If I'm not mistaken with the lore: Verin.

It's one thing to sacrifice your life but to sacrifice your soul to eternal suffering? I am not sure there are the sufficient words to even begin to describe such a sacrifice.

Rand is also pretty high for me. Sheepherder one moment then the next he finds everyone believes he is destined to save the world and destroy it. Again - though I don't think he should attibuted any where near the amount of 'blame' for the breaking and the slaying of his kin as is commonly place on him. Perhaps zen Rand doesn't take that blame on himself as much any more himself.

I suppose the countless meaningless dead are pretty high too and those who are in force captivity and servitude [the damane].

If I'm not mistaken with the lore: Verin.

It's one thing to sacrifice your life but to sacrifice your soul to eternal suffering? I am not sure there are the sufficient words to even begin to describe such a sacrifice.

Rand is also pretty high for me. Sheepherder one moment then the next he finds everyone believes he is destined to save the world and destroy it. Again - though I don't think he should attibuted any where near the amount of 'blame' for the breaking and the slaying of his kin as is commonly place on him. Perhaps zen Rand doesn't take that blame on himself as much any more himself.

I suppose the countless meaningless dead are pretty high too and those who are in force captivity and servitude [the damane].

Very good one.

Rand, Tarna, and Verin are good answers. Alanna's life has been an absolute mess after doing what every Aes Sedai had thought about doing as soon as they heard who the Dragon Reborn was. Hasn't worked out so well so far...

Then there's Ituralde. What a heap of problems he's been given to deal with.

In addition to that, let me propose another name: Jain Charin. This guy was a young hero, known to everyone on the continent for his heroics in his homeland and subsequent travels from a book that has as many copies in existence as any book in the world. Then his wife dies, and after Ishamael got his hands on him he'd been a wandering shadow of his former self with a broken mind and a nearly broken body. He basically regretted everything he'd ever done, until he died clean in the lands of the 'Finns.

Rand, Tarna, and Verin are good answers. Alanna's life has been an absolute mess after doing what every Aes Sedai had thought about doing as soon as they heard who the Dragon Reborn was. Hasn't worked out so well so far...

Then there's Ituralde. What a heap of problems he's been given to deal with.

In addition to that, let me propose another name: Jain Charin. This guy was a young hero, known to everyone on the continent for his heroics in his homeland and subsequent travels from a book that has as many copies in existence as any book in the world. Then his wife dies, and after Ishamael got his hands on him he'd been a wandering shadow of his former self with a broken mind and a nearly broken body. He basically regretted everything he'd ever done, until he died clean in the lands of the 'Finns.

Another good one. Based on what we get from noel, he never did it for any noble reason, but out of pride, that's why "Jain Farstryder died clean" is a powerful moment. Even though he is one of the most famous people in randland, he only felt clean as he died to save one woman and defend 2 friends, not in a great adventure, but just accepting the eventual ending that was to come.

Rand Verin and Tarna are great. All for completely different reasons. Let's not forget Moiraine either. Captured and tortured by the Finns for at least a year. Ugh.. I recently rewatched the Trigun series and all I could think of when watching Vash was Rand's character. Imagine being the only one could save the world and at the same time tortured by the memory of the times you failed to do so.

Elaida.

I know I know, she was a mean, cruel, arrogant, detestable fiend. But part of me really pities her. I mean, when the series started out, she was advisor to a queen, one of the most powerful channelers in the tower. She even managed to become Amyrlin! You may disagree with her justification for deposing Suian, but the fact remains that she did what she thought was right. And then, about half way through the series she started her rapid decent into madness and shame. She was manipulated and used by her own sitter, despised by most, if not all, Aes Sedai, and to top it all off she [spoilerS]

was captured by the Seanchan.

Her name will either be erased from the histories, or she'll be ridiculed and reviled in the ages to come. There is really no character I pity more than Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan, I just hope she may some day be redeemed, or at least die with honor, but I doubt that'll happen now.

Elaida.

I know I know, she was a mean, cruel, arrogant, detestable fiend. But part of me really pities her. I mean, when the series started out, she was advisor to a queen, one of the most powerful channelers in the tower. She even managed to become Amyrlin! You may disagree with her justification for deposing Suian, but the fact remains that she did what she thought was right. And then, about half way through the series she started her rapid decent into madness and shame. She was manipulated and used by her own sitter, despised by most, if not all, Aes Sedai, and to top it all off she [spoilerS]

was captured by the Seanchan.

Her name will either be erased from the histories, or she'll be ridiculed and reviled in the ages to come. There is really no character I pity more than Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan, I just hope she may some day be redeemed, or at least die with honor, but I doubt that'll happen now.

I pretty much agree. Also, descent into madness due to Padain Fain's influence. Mustn't forget that.

So many. This series is pretty much driven by tragedy, misunderstandings/ignorance/dramatic irony, and the greater good.

Rand - for all reasons stated above. And he's in love with three women...

Mat - for above and the fact that he's forgotten so much of his life. Childhood memories, fun with family and friends, even the first year of his adventures.

Elaida - though she was a bit of a bi***, it was inevitable, in my opinion. By that I mean that the pattern itself manipulated her so Rand could ultimately have a better chance.

Artur Hawkwing - for being manipulated by ishamael

Demandred [before turning] - for being just so damn unlucky

Asmodean - the guy just wanted to play music forever

and more...

Elaida? ppl feeling sorry for elaida? No. ppl like tarna deserve our sympathy. Not someone who ordered the murder of a warder, demoted an aes sedai to accepted and tried to kidnap the DR. I won't even go into the rest of her sheninigans

Elaida's current fate is justice.

As the title says, which of the "important" characters in WoT do you feel most sorry for, and why?

I'll start.

Alanna Mosvani. Poor girl didn't know what she was up to, when she bonded Rand. Not only does she have to live in fair because she don't know if Rand will kill her, as she can feel his anger. But she also have to live with knowing the feelings Rand has for the three other girls, and other interests. As Rand is a powerful and handsome guy, I would think it to be rather natural that Alanna would be fascinated by him. As her feelings grow, she will have to live with not only being denied the feelings in return, but she will know the golden veins Rand has for the three others. Poor woman.

What do you think?

You feel sorry for Alanna because she bonded Rand -- against his will? Really? She was so fascinated by his power and handsomeness she couldn't help herself, so basically he had it coming?

Alanna mind-raped him. And she still refuses to release his bond. She deserves whatever she gets. I don't pity a rapist.

I'll start.

What do you think?

You feel sorry for Alanna because she bonded Rand -- against his will? Really? She was so fascinated by his power and handsomeness she couldn't help herself, so basically he had it coming?

Alanna mind-raped him. And she still refuses to release his bond. She deserves whatever she gets. I don't pity a rapist.

Yeah, what Alanna did was completely out of line.

Archived