DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Thom and Mo? Really? Who saw that coming?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Ive only read through the series once and just finished it about... 3 weeks ago. And when I got to the end, and saw them all googely smoochie face with each other I just was like wtf? So.. who saw this coming? And do you have any evidence to go with it?

No one and anyone that says different is lieing through their teeth imo :biggrin:

Its been a pretty set theory in the fandom for years actually. One of the hints is back in the beginning, Moiraine's insistence that Thom was alive after Whitebridge. Why was she so sure? Because Vin saw a viewing of the two of them. More confirmation comes with her meeting w/ Thom before he goes to Tanchico w/ the Elayne.

And the fact that she gave Thom a letter starting it off with "My dearest Thom"?

Yeah the Thom and Moiraine relationship is a bit off IMO. Here we are my two favourite bad-ass characters getting all lovey-dovey. Man, with everyone getting inter-related you'd think that RJ would atleast leave ONE couple out of it!

Lets do a count :P

Moiraine - Thom

Rand - Elayne, Min, Aviendha (score!)

Mat - Tuon

Perrin - Faile

Galad - Berelain

Gawyn - Egwene

Siuan - Gareth Bryne

Morgase - Tallanvor

Lan - Nynaeve

So Ive only read through the series once and just finished it about... 3 weeks ago. And when I got to the end, and saw them all googely smoochie face with each other I just was like wtf? So.. who saw this coming? And do you have any evidence to go with it?

Lots and lots of foreshadowing of this in the early days. I will mention just a few:

Book 2 (The Great Hunt) and Book 4 (The Shadow Rising) are chock full of portents concerning this. It is also pretty much spelled out in Min's vision. My favorite chapter ever with these two is in Book 4 in the 17th chapter titled ''Deceptions.'' ... I also greatly enjoyed it in Book 2 when Thom reminisced that Moiraine was ''a fine woman - with every grace a man could want. And she even laughed at his quips.''

- Fish

No one and anyone that says different is lieing through their teeth imo :biggrin:

Oh really? How about this post I made way back before TGS came out? (That should cover all the evidence.) How about this faction which has hardly gotten any new members since Brandon joined up?

This one has been generally accepted around the fandom for years, even before we get to see Moiraine's letter to Thom in KoD which pretty much confirmed the relationship. Most of it has to do with the assumption that Min had a viewing about the two of them. Moiraine knows for a fact that Thom will survive Tanchico. She tells the supergirls that she knows the face of her future husband better then them. The viewing of Thom reaching into fire to retrieve Moiraine's blue stone. Etc.. It wasn't out of the blue at all (although how lovey dovey they were right away after ToG was certainly different then how they interacted previously).

All the hints and such were there in the books but I must say that how it happened in the book was just way too fast, just like everything else that happened in ToM. Almost seems like there should have been another two or three books.

Far to many 'coincidences' and 'good luck' (yes that is Mats thing but it was used extensively with other characters through out ToM) and impeccable timing for me to have really enjoyed ToM, hopefully the last book won't feel so rushed.

I think the love-doveyness just built up during the period Moiraine was imprisoned - for him because of the guilt, for her because of the hope that Thom would rescue her. It didn't have a chance to build before then because of Thom's general mistrust for Aes Sedai.

Lots and lots of foreshadowing of this in the early days. I will mention just a few:

Book 2 (The Great Hunt) and Book 4 (The Shadow Rising) are chock full of portents concerning this. It is also pretty much spelled out in Min's vision. My favorite chapter ever with these two is in Book 4 in the 17th chapter titled ''Deceptions.'' ... I also greatly enjoyed it in Book 2 when Thom reminisced that Moiraine was ''a fine woman - with every grace a man could want. And she even laughed at his quips.''

- Fish

Just found one more I wanted to add: In chapter 25 of ''The Great Hunt'' (the chapter called ''Cairhien'') Thom is reunited with the boys abd expresses ''disapointment'' that Moiraine is not there and once again refers to her as a ''Fine woman.''

- Fish

Oh really? How about this post I made way back before TGS came out? (That should cover all the evidence.) How about this faction which has hardly gotten any new members since Brandon joined up?

I know it's been out there, I was joking, hence the smiley face.

It was even mentioned a few times over the years as possibly being "The big unnoticed thing".

- Fish

Just found one more I wanted to add: In chapter 25 of ''The Great Hunt'' (the chapter called ''Cairhien'') Thom is reunited with the boys abd expresses ''disapointment'' that Moiraine is not there and once again refers to her as a ''Fine woman.''

- Fish

All those are in the first link I gave, and more.

It was even mentioned a few times over the years as possibly being "The big unnoticed thing".

Nice contradiction there.

I wasn't talking about the smiley face. I was talking about this thing that everybody knew which was somehow 'unnoticed'.

Heh, yeah because there wasn't an almost daily parade of whack theories being thrown around after the revelation that there was a "Big unnoticed thing".

Many of them had to be debunked more than once as I'm sure you had no small part in, quite often.

Hell, I'll be honest, I didn't start to see it till the letter was finally revealed in KoD.

The way Thom talks about her in the early books is how I'd talk about her, but I'm not getting any. There was hints but I think it was a door left open for a long time and it wasn't until KoD RJ walked through it. Mind you that could be said with so much of it. Personally I think it's a bit odd cause she is too young for him and a bit immature ;) note the smiley *takes cover*

- Fish

- Fish

All those are in the first link I gave, and more.

Nice contradiction there.

Oh. Really? Well - excellent job then! ;)

- Fish

I'll be honest, I DID NOT see it coming!

I only started the books about three years ago and raced through them, and now I'm all up to date and still a bit confused or forgetful about things, so this was perhaps one of the things that passed me by.

But am I right in thinking that there was something she was going to tell him about a relative of his? That's what I thought their connection was about.

Anyway, everyone is getting it on so why shouldn't they. I'm often quite creeped out by the fact that Siuan and Gareth have gotten it on even though she looks like his 'granddaughter' I know she is mentally aged but still...must be nice for him to have access to such a young body... :excl:

These have been the main things that indicated to me that Moiraine & Thom would marry::

-Moiraine's certainty of Thom being alive while traveling through the Ways.

-Moiraine's comment about husbands to the 3 girls while in Tear.

-Moiraine telling Thom that he would survive Tanchico.

The revealed Viewings of Thom could also indicate the relationship.

White Tower could indicate that he would become in love with an Aes Sedia.

man juggling fire could indicate that Thom would have a channeling son.

Perhaps also Egwene's Dream of Thom pulling out Moiraine's stone from a fire.

I feel that the actual question asked by IAtDR was: "Who did see it coming even from the first read of the books". Most of the people who read all the books swiftly in a row are not able to catch the hints. There were slight hints in the first two books, but I realized that RJ is preparing something special for us in tDR when Mat met Thom in TV. Thom was completely drunk (which means - completely honest :biggrin: ) and talking about the women in his life. And there he referred to Moiraine as a beautiful woman despite being an Aes Sedai.

So I looked very carefully for any other hints since then. But none of the people I have lent the book was able to get the hints at first read. Even my sister and she's a crazier WOTfan than me. Currently her boyfriend is reading the series for the first time and he has no clue that Mo is to come back! (he has just started KoD but we convinced him that now is the time for NS) My girlfriend now reads tGH and my best friend - tEoTW. I'll be watching and asking some sly questions (without spoiling anything)... but I doubt they'll get it assuming they are quite fast readers. (well my best friend's mom and bro have made it up to WH now without catching the idea)... I wonder when will I see all my WOT books all together on the shelf in my room... there's always someone reading them.

And I really wait for the OMFG reaction when someone reaches the letter and the scene after ToG.

P.S. As for the "young woman flesh" matter (Thom + Moiraine, Lan + Nynnaeve, Gareth + Siuan) I really expect Brandon to break another stereotype! Inserting gay character: Thumbs up! But until now Rand-Min is the only relation of a younger man and an older woman. The problem is that Rand+Elayne and Rand+Aviendha make the score 2-1 for the stereotype, so...

Yeah, Birgitte, but as far as I know her Gaidal is still a baby, so maybe we will not see him on-screen...

Anyone else?

Sadly it's not surprising for the simple reason that no character is allowed to stay single in RJ's universe. He seems almost obsessed with that.

It's like those Hollywood action movies that make the hero and the damsel in distress fall in love just to sell some more tickets. Silly American pop culture. :mellow:

Archived