DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lost Days

Sharaman

There's a month between VoG and the scheduled meeting at FoM.

Rand's timeline traces between VoG+1 and VoG+29

We can trace Rand's actions on very few of those days.

VoG+1 - he's riling up the Amyrlin

VoG+2&3 - He's in Tear

VoG +4-5 - He's in Bandar Eban

VoG +27 - He's in Maradon

VoG +28 - He's in Far Madding

VoG +29 - He's at FoM.

(See correction below)

What does he do in-between on the 20-odd missing days?

We know that he doesn't go to the BT.

We know that he doesn't help Lan since he seems to be worried about keaving a friend to die.

Does he have another go at the Seanchan? - There's no hint of that in the narrative.

Thoughts anyone?

The only mysterious hints I can find.

1) Dobraine has disappeared and nobody seems to know where he is, except that Rand told him to be ready to march to Shayul Ghul.

2) Bashere tell Ituralde at Maradon that "we should have been here days earlier".

Edit: Forgot that WoT months=28 days. If so, the timeline upstairs should read

"VoG +25 - He's in Maradon

VoG +26 - He's in Far Madding

VoG +27 - He's at FoM. "

The basic point about lost/ missing days remains valid however.

Here's my idea, (don't remember everything about the book so correct me plz) I think Rand has been acting on Verin's letter, given to him when he was riling up the Amyrlin. She will obviously have told him everything, seeing as she is one of the few that knows exactly what's at stake, I think she will trust the DR with more info than even the Amyrlin. I think she has given him enough information to make preparations for 20 days time. Like maybe he will already know what's going to happen to caemlyn, what's up at the black tower etc. Knowing Verin, she has info on a lot of things and most likely told him everything.

Acting on something Verin told him (aside from the royal kidnap info) is a fair guess.

But what?

Another possibility is a honeymoon with Aviendha - that sort of fits the timelines in that she would be back from Rhuidean.

He went to Shayol Ghul and broke the seals, swapped bodies with Moridin, killed himself (or Moridin, in his body), died at the hands of Demandred (who has been posing as Alivia), got ripped out of tel'arin'rhiod by Nynaeve, then remade the Dark Ones prison. A Memory of Light will be told in flashback, by Rand, to the gathering at the Fields of Merrilor.

I think there's also a clue when the sun comes through the windows of the tower. Can't remember what chapter but it was after Rand was suppose to leave so he could have been inside the Tower looking up in the library.

Although I would have thought Egwene might of noticed that considering she knows Rand has a circle of sky above him now.

He went to Shayol Ghul and broke the seals, swapped bodies with Moridin, killed himself (or Moridin, in his body), died at the hands of Demandred (who has been posing as Alivia), got ripped out of tel'arin'rhiod by Nynaeve, then remade the Dark Ones prison. A Memory of Light will be told in flashback, by Rand, to the gathering at the Fields of Merrilor.

That would really suck..

The question has come up a few times already and the answers given above more or less fit.

I cannot help thinking this hole is more or less some sort of rough patch to make all the timelines fit together and join at the Fields of Merilor. I'm sure we'll have more info on that gap and it will be very "reasonable" as explanation go, but it still feels like a plot-required thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I would think he spent a fair few days just resting. It seems stupid at first, but Rand has been pushing himself too hard for months, he was at breaking point and lucky to have survived.

With his new frame of mind, I think he spent quite a bit resting and contemplating LTT memories and his role as the Dragon Reborn - this could also tie into doing what Verin's letter said .

So I think that would have taken up some few days, obviously not all.

For others, I think he would have, as others said, acted on Verin's letter, which almost certainly has important info about the Last Battle.

Other posibilities - Meeting up with Logain? Remember, he sent Naeuff to talk to Logain. We dont actually know where Logain is, Naeuff could have found him and Logain met up with Rand.

- Searching for AoL relics. As per LTT, he might find something useful. - His "display" at Maradon was certainly out of this world. angreal or ter'angreal? (I know its definitely possible that he has just gotten bloody skillful from LTT memories, but we dont see anything near as crazy as this from the Forsaken.)

- Hunting for Darkfriends (with his seemingly awesome power to detect them) or the Forsaken. (possibly from Verin's letters?)

- Obviously, helping Min find out what he actually has to do to seal the DO away again.

- Finding Elder Haman and helping him seal the waygates.

- Fixing up Tear, Illian, Cahirien etc.. like he did with Bandar Eban.

-Ordering about the Sea Folk, organizing the shiz they will be doing in the LB. Windfinders etc...

- Restoring respect from the Aiel, as he said he would adress it.

- Planning the Dragon's peace.

- Teaching the Asha'man, and even the Aes Sedai, things from the AoL.

- Scouting out Shayol Ghul.

- Planning Lan's rescue.

Whoof that's some laundry list.

My comments interspersed.

I would think he spent a fair few days just resting. It seems stupid at first, but Rand has been pushing himself too hard for months, he was at breaking point and lucky to have survived.

Fair go.

With his new frame of mind, I think he spent quite a bit resting and contemplating LTT memories and his role as the Dragon Reborn - this could also tie into doing what Verin's letter said .

So I think that would have taken up some few days, obviously not all.

For others, I think he would have, as others said, acted on Verin's letter, which almost certainly has important info about the Last Battle.

Yes.

Other posibilities - Meeting up with Logain? Remember, he sent Naeuff to talk to Logain. We dont actually know where Logain is, Naeuff could have found him and Logain met up with Rand.

No, that order to Naeff comes at the end of the timeline- just before he's off to Far Madding. It's clear that he hasn;t had any contact with Logain.

- Searching for AoL relics. As per LTT, he might find something useful. - His "display" at Maradon was certainly out of this world. angreal or ter'angreal? (I know its definitely possible that he has just gotten bloody skillful from LTT memories, but we dont see anything near as crazy as this from the Forsaken.)

- Hunting for Darkfriends (with his seemingly awesome power to detect them) or the Forsaken. (possibly from Verin's letters?)

- Obviously, helping Min find out what he actually has to do to seal the DO away again.

Yes - variations are possible.

- Finding Elder Haman and helping him seal the waygates.

Connecting with the Ogier army raised by Loial is also a possibility.

- Fixing up Tear, Illian, Cahirien etc.. like he did with Bandar Eban.

Not Carhein or Ilian, we would have heard from Elayne/ Egwene's PoV.

-Ordering about the Sea Folk, organizing the shiz they will be doing in the LB. Windfinders etc...

- Restoring respect from the Aiel, as he said he would adress it.

- Planning the Dragon's peace.

- Teaching the Asha'man, and even the Aes Sedai, things from the AoL.

- Scouting out Shayol Ghul.

All possibles,

- Planning Lan's rescue.

The statements / thoughts Rand has, after the missing period, about leaving a friend in danger suggests he hasn't done this. But yes, it's possible.

His "display" at Maradon was certainly out of this world. angreal or ter'angreal? (I know its definitely possible that he has just gotten bloody skillful from LTT memories, but we dont see anything near as crazy as this from the Forsaken.)

I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times.. Lews Therin was just that damned good :tongue:.

Archived