DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Magic: The Gathering

Sakaea

magic_the_gathering.gif

I have recently gotten back into playing and buying cards (a lot of cards), and I was wondering if anyone else here plays or has played MTG before.

I'm really into collecting cards, especially older ones, and I love playing. I have 6 different decks currently: Aurochs, Merfolk, Slivers, Blue/White flyers, Red Beatdown, and Black Discard.

If anyone wants to talk strategy, ask questions, or just BS about MTG, welcome!

Where have you been all my life? I used to work for Hasbro, who owns WotC. I've been there a few times to the WotC headquarters, and it's awesome. I played games with pros there to advise employees on ideas, etc, and got a ton of free stuff.

I don't play much anymore, but I still have a few decks, but they are all type 1 and semi-powerful. I used to have 5 of the 9 "power cards", but I sold them.....doh.

Either way, I have:

Dragon

Highlander

Trix

Sleight

Love it.

I too stopped shortly after Ice age. I think Mirage was just coming out(late 90's?). I still have a ton of 4th edition cards. Some Fallen Empires, Legends, and of course Ice Age. Don't play very often anymore though.

Verbal, that is win. It must have been so cool to work for Hasbro! I thought you might play...your sig is amazing, LOl.

Everyone else, they've come out with some amazing new cards recently, if you can afford it, you might want to check out getting back into it! Rise of the Eldrazi has some insanely powerful creatures, with Annihilator. So much fun...

• 2 weeks later...

As my cards are all oldies, I can only play Type 1 games (can't remember what they call it now). My specialty was always having a quick combo deck....hence my Dragon deck. It centered around the Worldgorger Dragon and reanimating it in a loop. I could theoretically win on turn 1, but never accomplished it in a real game. My best was turn 3...I never got to turn 6 without already having won or lost. Loved it.

I play!

A lot.

Like.

LOT.

I draft once every week at the comic shop. (I'm primarily a limited player) I also draft on magic-league.com. If you are looking to play some games and don't want to shell out the money for MO, that's the place to go. (now that o-gaming is gone at least) Anyways, if you don't play any limited, I highly recommend getting into some drafts. The most fun you can have playing magic imho.

Tif

What kind of decks do you run, Tif? I didn't do very well last night, 5th place out of 6 people. But it was still fun. And I pulled 3 Mythic Rares out of booster packs. So yeah, I went home happy :biggrin:

In standard, for years I usually run some variant of RDW. It's not a hot deck in the metagame at the moment, although the version I run seems to be doing just fine against the current RUG variants. Arc Trails and Staggershocks main just seems to take care of all the rampant Stoneforge Mystics and Squandran Hawks ambling about.

In drafting, with SSS I was almost always some sort of U/x metalcraft. I am overjoyed every time I pick up a glint-hawk idol. Now with Besieged in the mix it is a little harder to draft it because metalcraft has became much worse, but because of that it is now underdrafted many places, which if you can figure out that at your table and go for it, you can still get some pretty awesome decks. If that doesn't work, I am partial to R/G dino's. Just get some myrs, hopefully an emessiary or two out of pack 1, then just Alpha T. your way to the W.

Thats what I'm doing now at any rate!

Tif

Played until Ice Age stopped being made.

I started during Ice Age and played fanatically until Stronghold. Later, I tried to pick it back up again during Ravnica, but the magic was gone, I guess. :biggrin:

I have a pretty cool phasing deck with Wraths of God, and then just some random stuff. My best decks are a channel/fork deck (illegal, I know, but still cool), and black hand destruction deck with mostly 4th Edition cards, with some others thrown in, like Megrim. I play maybe once or twice a year now, but I probably still own over 5000 cards. :tongue:

I like black, I like green, and I like blue and white control decks, although I think they are a drag to play against (especially Kismet/Stasis).

Wow, Verbal32, that is beyond cool!

Eh, I'm really not a big fan of infect, so I'll kinda be happy when all this poison nonsense rotates out of the limited environment. But to each their own. At least now all the infect cards will be spread out, which will be a good thing.

Tif

I do have to say, I love the artifacts as well. And in draft, W/x metal craft is my personal archtype of choice. (Glint Hawks/Glint Hawk idols ftw) I started playing seriously in the original Mirridon, so I am kinda partial to them;)

tif

Archived