DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Very surprised at all of the Lanfear theories out there

MarkDiLillo

1) Why did RJ resurrect her if she's just going to become a random bad guy that dies uselessly in the end?

2) Why is her character so unique and detailed compared to fellow Forsaken?

Don't know about N°2, but as far as N°1 goes he also resurrected Aginor and Balthamel, who were pretty useless to begin with, into Osangar and Arangar, who were just as useless. So, yeah. I guess even RJ takes weird/pointless decisions now and then. I have to say apart from Ishamael/Moridin, I'm really not impressed with the Forsaken Reborn idea.

Apart from that, though, I actually support your theory (or would love to support it) as Lanfear has always been one of my favorite characters and I would find her much more interesting as a Forsaken that walks the line between Dark and Light and ultimately redeems herself, than as just another mean Forsaken. Unfortunately I'm not sure that this is the way RJ saw it, so I'm prepared to be disappointed on that front (I already was with her return as Cyndane, a weaker, diluted version of herself...).

Yes, and what did she manage with that? Gave Egwene headaches and maybe killed a couple of AS. Big deal. Her only real purpose so far has been in her (second) death in making Rand believed Graendal was toast. Not much to brag about (esp. as so far Graendal being alive has had no interest either).

Also, on a personal/irrelevant note, I always thought the idea of having Balthamel reborn into Arangar so a woman could channel saidin was a bit gimmicky.

I feel like the forsaken get a poor rap. People confuse their purpose with their effect. If they lack effect, it is due to their inherently selfish nature and their narcissistic tendency to underestimate the primitive people of the current age. For example, if you took Joseph Mengele, John Williams, Evil Hari Seldon, Bill Gates, Trump, Marylin Monroe, Karl Marx, Madonna, some random high school teacher, Oprah, Liam Neason, General Custer, and Linda Hazzard (list in alphabetical order), gave them all sever personality complexes and a deep abiding hate for each other, and dropped them into medieval Europe, how well do you think they would do? The DO's plans for them are actually quite extensively thought out. In a land where for 3,000 years men who channel have been feared and reviled who would think an asha'man would stop by for tea. Otherwise, Aran'gar would have remained undercover indefinitely. Perrin would be dead if not for the near taverenness of having the mother of his mortal enemy up his sleeve. Mesaana had no knowledge of Egwene's aiel training or her super aptitude for daydreaming. Lanfear was a jealous... Mohedien's fear of being in the open caused her to accept the a'dam. Etc. But for being on their own crazy selves against the others and united light front, they did the best they could. Especially since the DO doesn't even care if they succeed.

Archived