DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Characters that are almost the EXACT SAME as other characters in WOT

The title pretty much says it all...I was inspired to write this post while recently rereading the description of Master Halwin Norry in TOM, who is Elayne Trakand's First Clerk, when I noticed that Halwin Norry and Sebwen Balwer are the SAME Guy, lol!!! And I mean EXACTLY.

I see this to a lesser extent with Davram Bashere and Rodel Itulrade. (older, eccentric, unflappable, quirky, venerable, experienced, dry-witted battle leaders).

Despite the rather significant difference of one being male and one being female, Dyelin and Lord Dobraine sorta fit that mold as well, IMHO.

Thoughts?

- Fish

EDITED To add: Halima = Graendal (Curvey, hot, female forsaken who rely extensively n heavy usage of Compulsion). ... Also, I remember seeing some folks waaay back in the day remark that Noal and Thom were too similar to each other - I personally never saw that.

I still have my crazy theory that Halwin Norry is a darkfriend. So I hope that I'm vindicated and he is not essentially the same as Balwer, but just in heavy cover and is basing his style on Perrin's secretary.

Alas, I somehow don't expect it to happen anymore. But I can still dream.

I still have my crazy theory that Halwin Norry is a darkfriend. So I hope that I'm vindicated and he is not essentially the same as Balwer, but just in heavy cover and is basing his style on Perrin's secretary.

Alas, I somehow don't expect it to happen anymore. But I can still dream.

Just remember what Lan said to Moiraine about dreams in TGH ;-)

- Fish

Another one.....In principle, the gholam and the grey men are pretty redundant of each other.

Not really. Isn't a Grey Man's only special power the ability avoid detection? Once they are detected, they're fairly "easy" to kill and we've seen plenty of that in the series. By contrast, Gholam are almost indestructable and can morph to slide beneath doors, etc. Basically the T-1000 of shadowspawn. They also have to feed (on blood), wereas Grey Men don't feed on anything, right?

Another one.....In principle, the gholam and the grey men are pretty redundant of each other.

Not really. Isn't a Grey Man's only special power the ability avoid detection? Once they are detected, they're fairly "easy" to kill and we've seen plenty of that in the series. By contrast, Gholam are almost indestructable and can morph to slide beneath doors, etc. Basically the T-1000 of shadowspawn. They also have to feed (on blood), wereas Grey Men don't feed on anything, right?

Agreed - EXCEPT that in TOM Mat refers to the GHOLAM as ''a rather ordinary looking - the sort you'd never even notice'' ... which is pretty much every description we've ever gotten of a Grey Man.

- Fish

Agreed - EXCEPT that in TOM Mat refers to the GHOLAM as ''a rather ordinary looking - the sort you'd never even notice'' ... which is pretty much every description we've ever gotten of a Grey Man.

- Fish

Gholam is Grey men on stariods

actually gray men and bloodknives, both have supernatural abilities that make the eyes slip right past them, both are used as assassins. And both require giving something up (gray men gave up their souls, bloodknives give up their blood, and thusly their lives)

actually gray men and bloodknives, both have supernatural abilities that make the eyes slip right past them, both are used as assassins. And both require giving something up (gray men gave up their souls, bloodknives give up their blood, and thusly their lives)

I didn't know that; thanks, Durinax. I guess I didn't read TOM quite as closely as I thought :(

- Fish

- Fish

Gholam is Grey men on stariods

I like that. I like it alot.

- Fish

Archived