DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lan and Malkier

Artred

Well this is just a random thought I've had ever since I finished KoD. When I say random, I mean random like; How much of the population in the Borderlands have a Malkieri heritage. Will they all react like Aldragoran, Gorenellin, and Managan did? If Lan were to get a sizable force, do you think he would tell blacksmiths how to craft the traditional Malkieri armor. What kind of impact will it have on the shadow when they see the flag flying and an army behind it. I know there is no way to assume until Lan is mentioned in MoL, but it's just something I think about sometimes. I just wanted to see some of your thought's on this

I agree with Lurkers. Malkier and the Golden Crane are still a very powerful symbols in the borderlands. Remember what Algamar said in EotW when he was trying to convice Lan to ride to Tarwin Gap.

"The word will spreak like wildfire, and though their kinds have told them to hold where they are, lances will come form Arafel and Kandor, and even from Saldea."

I don't think he was exadurating either.

I expect Lan to have a huge army by the time he arrives in Shienar, one that could rival nearly any other in existance.

Guest Majsju

Also keep in mind that while Lan is riding through the Borderlands, the rulers are off way down south. Lan being the one royalty riding against the Shadow will have a symbolic impact that will most likely rally a lot of people to him, from all nations in the Borderlands.

Yeah Lan is going to gather the might of the boarderlands to him. The rulers who have gone south are going to realize their foolish ways when they hear of Lan marching for Tarwin's Gap. The Golden Cran will fly at the head of the armys of the Boarderlands in the LB. But it is more than seeing a united boarderlands the shaddow is going to have to face a united world under the Dragon Banner.

Also remember what happened in NS when that one woman was trying to raise Malkier "in Lan's name" when it was "rumored" he was dead. She rallyed a lot of support. And when Lan turned up alive even more support started to rally itself, around him.

Lan will have a huge army with him, Nynaeve has aready set everything in motion. Not only will Lan arrive with an army, it will be the greatest army since AOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, caught me Lan is my all time favorite character in the series. I have been waiting for fifteen years for him to finally have his day in the sun.

Yeah Lan is my favorite character also. I agree with that he will rally the borderlands to him. I just wonder if the Malkier that are in the borderlands are as great of warriors as the one's that fell with Malkier and the one's that raised Lan, my guess is not all of them but the heart it will give everyone seeing the Malkieri united under the Golden Crane once again will be unlike anything since the Aiel uniting under Rand

I am soo looking forward to read about this moment.

But I doubt Lan will have time to make armours for 50k+ soldiers.

I also believe that not only people from malkier will heed this call but from all borderlanders.

Another Idea I got it that Aes Sedai will come this time. They failed them in the past but this time they will help them in the dire need.

I don't know how many Malkieri are alive but they will more than likely be some of the most fearsome fighters against the shadow considering that they have lost their homeland and want it back.

And yes I agree that Al'Lan Mandragoran will have quite a sizeable army come Tarwins' Gap.

The bit in KoD when Nynaeve started to rally the former Malkieri was, in my opinion, the only thing in the series where I've actually liked Nynaeve, because most of the time she's deserved a good switching.

Guest Majsju

I don't think there are many true malkieri left. Lan was an infant when Malkieri died, and now he's closing in on 50. So the youngest malkieri able to fight whan Malkier died would be 60-70 now.

Those younger than that will be more members of their new homelands. Which of course measn quite a few of them might be with the borderland army down south.

Though the chance of being able to fight a last time for malkier will pull out some slumbering nationalistic feelings. One lkast fight before they can let Malkier go, and become a memory for good, but with the knowledge that it was avenged.

Guest Majsju
When Moiraine returns, will she stay with Rand or go help Lan? I think Moiraine will battle with Lan and help him avenge Malkier, then they will all end up with Rand at Shayol Ghul.

I think it depends a lot on what the help she must provide Rand with is. If it's just a piece of crucial knowledge, she can tell him and then head straight to Lan.

I don't think that will happen though. She has let Lan go, and it won't take long before she finds out Lan and Nynaeve is married. Her dropping in on Lan from out of nowhere might be the worst possible thing she could do.

And as for anyone joining Rand after tarwin's gap, I doubt that, strongy. I think that it will be Lan's last fight, and that he will die in the battle. Well, I hope he dies anyway.

Guest Majsju
You hope he dies? lol Explain? I think I might know why you say that just want to see what you say =P

Well, I want quite a large bodycount when it comes to main characters. The emotional impact of the series is greater if there are some actual sacrifices, which means characters we as readers love must die. I absolutely despise books with a fluffy puppy happy ending, where everyone lives happily ever after, and only the bad guys and Unknown footsoldier #25367 dies. Such endings ruins the entire series for me.

But there's another reason I single out lan. Having him killed off would hopefully put a definite end to any speculations about bringing back Malkier from the dead. A good story means moving on, forward, not trying to stick to the past by reclaiming what has been lost. Just as I would hate to see any 2nd grade "Manetheren" brought back.

Majsju, dont really agree with you that Malkieri should die totally. Nor that Manetheren shouldnt be resurrected. It's the wheel of time right, that means everything has to come again and again and again...

On other hand, I do agree with you, dont make it a fluffy series. But there are enough deaths in the series to account for it. I guess the total body count is like far over 100000 at the moment.

Anyway, what I do expect still is that the tinkers will find their song and drive the Blight back before the actual fight begins or while the actual fighting is commencing. The book wont be over without the blight being conquered anyway.

And about Lan, he'll has to finish his brother first, 1 attempt was made on them both and it wont stay with that one I guess.

Guest Majsju
Majsju, dont really agree with you that Malkieri should die totally. Nor that Manetheren shouldnt be resurrected. It's the wheel of time right, that means everything has to come again and again and again...

It doesn't work quite like that. The Wheel means that the Ages are repeated, and the main events and tendencies of the individual Ages. This does not apply to some random nations.

And the one thing that is really special about Malkier and manetheren is after all that they are dead and gone. LÖet them stay that way.

On other hand, I do agree with you, dont make it a fluffy series. But there are enough deaths in the series to account for it. I guess the total body count is like far over 100000 at the moment.

But how many of those has been main characters on the good side, and that we like?

Guest Majsju

The viewings are:

RAND: "He would almost certainly fail without a woman who was dead and gone..."

MOIRAINE: "it was not as if she had really expected Moiraine to turn up alive. Moiraine was the only viewing of hers that had ever failed."

Nothing says that she actually has to be there during the TG, Moiraines part could be played out before TG.

Maj I so want the fluffy puppy ending. When the last page is done we'll see who goes where but if there is a vote, I want the fluff. Of course 1,000 pages of great battle first and I will shed tears for all the bit players.

Frodo still lives, and so will Rand.

Long live Randland with all the mains at the end!

I wouldn't mind certain mains dying: Egwene, Cadsuane, Elayne (because of her insistance that nothing can happen to her until her babies are born; wouldn't it be fitting for her to die in childbirth? :roll: ), Bashere, even some of our favorite Asha'man. Just as long as Rand and at least one of his girls lives, I'm happy.

Like some here, I can't see either Manetheren or Malkier coming back, so it would be fitting for Lan to die saving the rest of the Borderlands. I'd feel bad for Nynaeve, but she'd have ended up living most of her life without him anyway.

I think it is remotely possible for Malkier to return. It is not in land which is currently claimed by any other nation, has only been gone for a generation or so, and has a living king to reclaim it. It's not likely but I could see it happening.

I do not see Manetheren returning. It has been dead and gone since the Trolloc Wars, close to 2000 years. Its lands have been parts of multiple other nations since. It is possible that the Two Rivers, Ghealdan, and Saldaea will form some sort of allied coalition under Perrin, and remotely possible that a new nation could be formed out of those parts, but unless Elayne just rolls over and lets the Two Rivers go (highly unlikely) Perrin is not going to exhibit territorial ambition. The most he is likely to insist on is fair treatment for the Two Rivers. I don't think he'll even insist that the fair treatment is under himself, especially if he is busy being King of Saldaea.

Of course, assuming that any of the current Nations survive is a bit of a big assumption. None of the Nations survived the Trolloc Wars or the War of the Hundred Years. I imagine there is going to be a whole lot of fundamental change, post Tarmon Gai'don.

Good golly what a bloodthirsty bunch.

Don't worry the bodies will be stacked like cordwood before TG is over. If Jordan writes it properly, the last book will intentionally be bathed in so much blood that it makes us all sick.

None of the good guys have died so far because it's too much work for an author to keep inventing replacements. Good guys = no transmigration.

Since the baddies could die and live again, Jordan could kill them off and bring them back as needed. He can't start killing off the good guys until the big dustup at the end. But die they will. In droves and thousands.

As is said, Malkier still has a king and there is a brief time since malkier disapear(40-50 years), and the problem is that only the armsmen (some following lan´s aunt, and some with his father) went to the blight, the rest of malkier, wives, sons, grandfathers, craftmen, and maybe a sizeable guard waited back, and the armsmen remaining made the sacrifice to give the new generations the oportunity to fly to the now called the borderlands, so all these orphans will ride for the golden crane, and for their lost fathers and grandfathers, so two or three generations of malkieri will follow lan, and noone will remain to protect their families, because they will be "safe" in their adoptive nation.

and if Malkier was the past borderland (and now the borderlands are four nations) it must be a very big country, with a huge population, so it could be possible that the army gathered by lan will be a very big army.

And the resurection of malkier is not an utopia as Robert A.W. said(in Europe Servia in the XIX century, became independent from the otomans, and now in 2003 it reemerge from yugoeslavia; if i remember)

Archived