DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Actions Speak Louder than Words

Asfaloth

"Made you happy? Dene, you have made me the happiest man in the world. Stay here, I'll get breakfast."

Shawn grudgingly slid out from the bed and threw on some clothes. He decided after the ordeal they'd gone through they both deserved a day off. A day free of duty, training, and even fitness routines. They needed a day to be just themselves. A day to explore the new developments in their relationship. He was bound and determined that they would have this day for just that.

First thing first he went to Krelsa's office. It was early yet but the commander was there, just as Shawn had expected. When Shawn reported what had happened two days ago and that they had spent all of yesterday recovering physically from the Healings, Krelsa had commanded they both take the day off even before Shawn had asked. "I'll expect you to cover an extra shift for your peers to make up for it. But in the meantime, you two have fun." Was that a wink from the commander?

His first goal accomplished Shawn headed to the mess hall. There he requested a meal for two to be packed, and collected the makings of a hearty breakfast. Returning to the room he was pleased to discover Dene still in the bed.

"Well, you'll be pleased to know we have the day off. I've an idea or two how we could spend the day but before we get in to that, here's your breakfast Love."

"Made you happy? Dene, you have made me the happiest man in the world. Stay here, I'll get breakfast." He slipped from the bed, and Deneira let the words sink in as she layed in the bed, still on her stomach, hardly able to move. She pouted as he moved across the room, but smiled as he went for clothes. She couldnt help but stiffle a laugh into a pillow as his butt swished as he ran to his breeches. Light, how had she never noticed that cute butt before? He glanced back at her once as she kept giggling, and made certain to kiss her softly before he ran out the door. Rolling over in the bed, she stared up at the ceiling, wrapping the blankets tighter around her body. She missed him already, her body cold without him, and she closed her eyes, taking a slight nap while waiting for him to return...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"By the Light and my hope for salvation, I, Anwashawn Ellessar, take you, Deneira l'Spada, to be my wife. To have and to hold, through battle and in peace, for richer or poorer, until the Creator takes us both. I pledge my life to you." Deneira's heart skipped a beat as they stood their, their hands held together, and he slipped a simple gold band over her finger. He kissed it softly and she smiled, a laugh ready to escape her lips. "And I, Deneira l'Spada, by the light and my hope for salvation, take you, Anwashawn Ellessar, to be my husband. To have, and to hold..." She continued her vows and then slipped the ring onto his finger, kissing it softly. The Aes Sedai heading the ceremony announced them married, and Shawn pulled her into his arms and kissed her thoroughly. "I love you so much, Shawn." He laughed and kissed her again before whispering back, "I love you too, Dene."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Well, you'll be pleased to know we have the day off. I've an idea or two how we could spend the day, but before we get into that, here's your breakfast, love." Opening her eyes, she sat up in the bed and smiled at him as she saw the tray. Scootching over in the bed, she allowed plenty of space for him to slip in beside her as he rested the tray on her lap. Taking the glass of wine, she took a sip and laughed as he layed down half behind her, half beside her, his body resting on his elbow. Feeding him a piece of fruit, they both laughed, and she picked at the shirt he was wearing. "Well, before we go out again, I want you to... change your clothes." They both laughed and finished their breakfast before she set the tray aside and helped him out of those clothes.

An hour or so later they finally made it out of the bed. "We're going riding so dress accordingly." Shawn himself pulled on his oldest, most comfortable pair of breeches and a simple vest. It was warm enough out that he decided to go without the shirt. Well, that and he liked the way it made him feel to see her admire his muscles. He buckled his set of throwing knives around each bicep and his sword belt around his waist. Then, because they were going out of the Tower, he hung a quiver of arrows on his back and picked up his bow.

"Are you ready Dear?"

Taking her arm in his he led her from the room. "We've one stop to make before we head to the stables." At the mess hall he picked up the meal the staff had prepared for them and two bottles of wine then led her to the stables.

Shawn led the way to the stable and started walking amongst the stalls full of Tower owned horses. His own stallion, Blaize, was housed further in but he needed to find a horse for Dene to ride. As he passed each stall he looked the horse over with a critical eye. He had spent a lot of time in the stables as punishment for a misdeed as a trainee and he had honed his horse assessing skills during that time. He'd also made good friends with the stablemaster.

He started off by telling Dene his reasons for not choosing this horse or that one but soon realized that she wasn't much interested in learning the finer points of horse flesh right now so he stopped explaining in an effort to speed the process. He found a mare that would serve, but remembered Blaize's rather forward attitude toward mares and settled on a gelding instead. The horse didn't have the strength or speed of Blaize, nor even the stamina, but he'd seen the horse working out the other day and knew he had a smooth gentle gait. That was what Dene needed most right now.

"Hey boy, have this horse groomed and saddled for the lady please."

"Sorry that took so long Babe, but he'll have the horse ready by the time I find and ready Blaize."

Blaize was all white with a simple black star in the center of his forehead. They could have had the stableboys prepare Blaize as well but he preferred to do the work himself. It didn't take long and he was right, the stableboy was waiting at the gates holding the reins to the gelding he'd chosen for Dene.

Helping her up he adjusted the stirrups to the right height and vaulted into his own saddle. "Shall we go?" Receiving a response in the affrimative he led the way out of the stables and on through a back gate instead of into the city itself.

Shawn never failed to amaze her. Never. As much as she had always thought he would be good, and much as she knew he would please her, he was beginning to get himself to a new high in her book. They didn’t sleep this time, and the dreams did not return, but she did instead get to remember as they cuddled up to eachother. He was so warm and loving as he ran his fingers through her hair and softly kissed the top of her head. His arms held her close, as though he would never let her go, and Deneira couldn’t help but want to cry at her fortune of finding this angel. Her body melted into his, and she just buried her face into his chest again and again, her breathing in time with his heart beat.

Eventually, he got up, and pulled her with him. One last kiss was placed on her lips, and then they had to get dressed. “We're going riding so dress accordingly." He began getting dressed and she ran back to the warmth of the bed to watch him again. His buttox swished as he walked around, and she pouted as he pulled his breeches on. Thankfully, he forgot to wear a shirt under his vest and she could still see his muscles. When the show was over, she got up from the bed and went to find something suitable to wear when riding. Shifting through a few items, she found some loose breeches that she pulled on and a thin tshirt that she wore over her bindings, which were loose that day. Her hair she pulled back with a ribbon, and her boots came on quickly.

"Are you ready Dear?" Laughing, she rushed to him and took his arm, and they went on to the stables, a joy in their step. “We've one stop to make before we head to the stables." She nodded, and they stopped, a touch of curiousity in her. By the time they got to the stables, she glanced around. She never was really good with horses, and had only ridden a few times. She knew that Shawn loved his horse, Blaize, as they had spoke of him before, but Deneira had never owned her own horse. Perhaps she would have one some day, but until then, she would be fine using a Tower horse.

Shawn began talking about horses, telling of speed and flesh or something, but she was growing tired just listening to him. She would prefer to be riding instead of listening to him talk. He eventually gave up and chose a horse, a pretty smaller beast that she believed was a gelding. Shawn seemed proud of his pick. As he came back to her, he said quite possibly the most amusing thing in a while. "Sorry that took so long Babe, but he'll have the horse ready by the time I find and ready Blaize." Babe... she was his babe! Never before had she been called that before, and she wanted to hear it again. Light, and it was so cute when he said it too.

He came back with his horse, and the stable boy had one for her, and they walked out to the yard. Shawn picked her up and placed her in the saddle, and fixed the saddle. Hoping on his own horse, Shawn began leading them out of the Tower Grounds. They rode for a little while, Deneira just enjoying the scenery, before she began to get lonely without him and was curious as to where they were going. Catching up to let her horse be beside his, she reached out to grab his hand and squeezed it tight in hers. He looked in shock for a moment and she tried to hide a blush, but still linked fingers with him, attempting to hold hands as they rode. "Shawn, where are we going?" she asked.

ooc: didnt know what else to say cause i couldnt catch ya on msn, if you want me to add more, then catch me on there this afternoon

"We are going to a quiet little place I know just a little further ahead. Just stick with me and we'll get there before you've even had time to get sore from riding." They continued riding side by side, holding hands as they went. It was nice to be out from the shadow of the Tower where one was always being judged, and evaluated. The officers judged his fitness for duty. The Masters judged his skill with weapons. The Mistress of Trainees judged his training techniques. The Yard was constantly full of Sisters, with their piercing gazes, out looking for fresh meat to bond. But for the time they were out here they could be free of such judgements and entanglements. They could be free to be themselves.

A few minutes later they crested the top of a small hill and came to a small rounded meadow, bordered on three sides by a stream. In the center of the meadow was an apple tree. A low stone wall had been built between the two sides of the stream, enclosing the meadow. Shawn didn't know who had built the wall but it had been abandoned for some time. The stone had been carted off for various purposes, leaving a jagged height to the wall and a small gap straight ahead of them.

Shawn led Dene through this gap then dismounted near the tree. Finding a branch that had fallen recently Shawn stretched it across the gap in the wall. This would not stop the horses from jumping over if they were truly inclined to do so but there was plenty of good grazing here under the tree so he wasn't worried.

"Why don't you stretch out the blanket and set out the food while I unsaddle the horses? Unless you had better plans I figured we could spend the whole day here?"

He looked over at her and smiled, the way his eyes shined making her smile back. "We are going to a quiet little place I know just a little further ahead. Just stick with me and we'll get there before you've even had time to get sore from riding." She giggled softly, happy that he had remembered her hatred for saddlesore. He squeezed her hand slightly and her heart fluttered. They rode on, outside of the tower gaze, and into the countryside they went. After what seemed like only a few moments, they had arrived, a breathtaking view before Deneira. Atop of a hill, she could see a meadow and a stream... her eyes lit up as she saw a small tree with plenty of shade and a small wall was wrapped around the meadow. Shawn smiled as he saw her breath stop, and she remembered to breath again.

They went through a gap in the wall and Shawn's hands went to her waist, picking her up and off the horse. She stayed in his arms for a moment, their eyes holding, and he pecked her on the cheek quickly before going to the gap in the wall and covering it with a branch. He came back to her and took her hand in his, holding it for a moment as he took the blanket from Blaize. "Why don't you stretch out the blanket and set out the food while I unsaddle the horses? Unless you had better plans I figured we could spend the whole day here?" She nodded her head and took the blanket from him. "Of course, darling. Let's just stay here the whole day..." She leaned forward and kissed his cheek softly. "I love you," she whispered into his ear.

He smiled back at her and she took the blankets, spreading them out on the ground. She then took their lunch and spread it out across one side of the blanket then wrapped up her saddle blanket into a pillow. Taking his off the ground from where he had layed it, she set it beside hers and layed down on the blanket. Closing her eyes, she smiled as he walked up, patting the spot beside her. "Come on, lay down. I want to wrap up in your arms," she said, giggling like a teenage girl that had seen her first real love.

After seeing to the horses' comfort Shawn stepped over to where Dene had laid out the blanket. "Come on, lay down. I want to wrap up in your arms."

"Well, with an invitation like that, who could resist? Certainly not me." Shawn laid down beside her and they curled up together. They sat in silence for a time, each content to simply hold and be held by the other. Shawn had already told Dene that he loved her, and he'd meant it. He'd thought at the time that he could never love her any more than he did then. He was wrong. He was discovering today that he could love her more every moment they were together.

This was a woman that deserved all of his heart. More than that, she deserved his respect as well. She would never be the damsel in distress who needed his protection. She would never be the kind of woman to need him in that way. A small part of Shawn knew he would miss that, but a much larger part loved her all the more because of it. This was the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. But he couldn't do that. He was unwhole and incomplete. He had made a vow and it was still unfulfilled. Before he could consider marrying any woman he needed to know who he was, and he needed to complete his blacksmith training as he'd vowed he would. And more important than either of those, he need to avenge the deaths of his foster-parents.

Until he accomplished those things he would never be whole. He would never be able to devote himself fully to a spouse. Dene deserved to have him fully with her and not haring off after unkept promises. No, as much as he might want it, he could not speak to her of marriage. Not yet. But he could face those challenges head on instead of running from them. Then, when he'd done all he needed to do to be whole, then he'd ask for her hand.

In the meantime, he'd simply enjoy holding her, being with her, and learning more about her. "I want to know you. I want to know what drives you. Tell me of your dreams, your desires. What are your goals? Any plans for the future?"

He grinned and practically ran to get beside her. â€Well, with an invitation like that, who could resist? Certainly not me." She smiled as he laid down and his arms wrapped around her. They cuddled for a while, and Deneira sighed happily. It was amazing to just lay in his arms and smile. No girl could be luckier than she. Shawn was so amazing and wonderful- sweet in every way. He was so full of surprises and love. She could have laid with him, under the sky and on the ground, just wrapped in his arms forever. She knew that her death would be one by a blade but she had hoped for something painless. Now had a new hope that she would die in his arms, dieing as she had lived, loving him.

She thought about the future and of her dreams. Was she ready to marry? The night certainly thought she was. She knew that deep down in her heart, however, that she was still unsure. She remembered Darion and Leawen, how she had been in love and then broken. She remembered different lovers and different friends, all that she had felt something special with, and all that had hurt her. Aye, this was different with Shawn, she could feel it all around her. Even a trivial task seemed special with him. But was she truly in love with him? Could she spend the rest of her life with him?

"I want to know you. I want to know what drives you. Tell me of your dreams, your desires. What are your goals? Any plans for the future?" Laughing, Deneira turned over and kissed him softly. “What brings about these sudden questions?†He shrugged and she sat up, leaving him beside her and his arms still wrapped around her waist. “I think we should eat before thinking into the future.†He looked a little sad and she ran her fingers over his short hair and back to his cheek. â€Please, Dene, I want to know all about you.†She turned slightly red and nodded, whispering, “Of course…â€

Reaching into the basket of food they had brought, she took out the container of water that they had. Reaching in to pull out two cups, she poured them both some then took a sip of hers. He twisted on the blanket to rest his head on her lap and she rested back on one of her elbows, the other hand holding his tightly. “Let’s see… what drives me. Well, I guess that I should tell you everything. I used to live on a farm in Salidar, but trollocs killed my family. I still have nightmares, don’t ask me how I lived. I guess what drives me is my want to spite the trollocs and the blight, to prove that I can do something, and that I did make something of myself. I don’t really have much to live for, just the constant battle against the blight, and too often I have seen good men die because of their battle against it.†She sighed and thought of her father… light, she missed them all terribly.

“My dreams are nothing special, and my desire is to be happy. My only goal is to not fail at what I try and to always do my best. I try to be honest and nice, even if it gets me into trouble. I want to have fun, and to be happy. No plans for the future, I just live in the moment.†Deneira almost bit her tongue at the lie. She did have plans for the future, but how to say it properly. “I mean, yes, I have wishes for the future, and they-“ light, this was hard. “I wish to be with you. You make me so happy Shawn, and I love you so much. That is my basic plan for the future… to stay with you.†He nodded his head and she bent down to kiss his lips softly. He sat up and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her onto his lap. She rested her head on his shoulder, shaking at what she had just said. What if she had said too much? “What are your plans?â€

"My plans? Well, I'm not entriely sure yet, aside from continuing to serve and protect the denizens of the Tower. What I do know is that I want any plans I make to include you. Well, that's not entirely true. I want you to be the center part of all of my plans. Where that will lead us is up to you but I'll spend the rest of my life trying to convince you we're perfect for each other."

Before they got too far into such thoughts Shawn stood up and held his hand out to her. Helping her to stand he said, "Have I ever told you that one of the things I like most about you is that you're good with a blade? It's wonderful to know I don't have to worry about you when we're apart. I mean, you're almost as good as me." Winking at her he waited for the reaction he knew would come.

"My plans? Well, I'm not entriely sure yet, aside from continuing to serve and protect the citizens of the Tower. What I do know is that I want any plans I make to include you. Well, that's not entirely true. I want you to be the center part of all of my plans. Where that will lead us is up to you but I'll spend the rest of my life trying to convince you we're perfect for each other." Her heart stopped in her throat and she wanted to kiss him and tell him that he was her true love. Wait, true love? Deneira didnt believe in true love. Yes, she believed in love, but what made it true and untrue? But he was the one for her. But the only one? For all eternity? That was too deep for her.

He jumped up from behind her and she shivered slightly with the loss of him. He offered her a hand and she took it, jumping up. "Have I ever told you that one of the things I like most about you is that you're good with a blade? It's wonderful to know I don't have to worry about you when we're apart. I mean, you're almost as good as me." She laughed at his wink and ran to their saddle bags. Grabbing her scimitar, she pulled it from her belt where it had been resting then grabbed his sword, tossing it to him. "Almost? Darling, I do believe that I am better!"

He laughed at her and caught the sword, brandishing it before him. Walking towards him, she assumed guard stance, holding it for a moment. "When do we decide the victor?" Shawn laughed and assumed the same position. "When I decide to kiss you," he said back, then came at her with a basic move. She ducked it easily and caught his sword with her weapon easily as she turned, her body taking over as it moved from one form to another. Almost as if they were dancing, her entire body was centered on their battle and their moves. After a while, her body seemed to weaken slightly and she paused. His blade almost nicked her and she slipped from the void. Their blades locked as he noticed her slipping out, and he too left it.

Kissing him softly, her grip on the hilt weakened and she stopped pushing her hands against his. The kiss was slow and sentual, just for him. After a few moments, she let her weapon fall to the ground and she wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him harder. Their bodies crushed together and she pulled away for a moment to whisper and giggle, "I guess the battle is over..."

Some time later Shawn was awakened from a peaceful post-coital nap by a rather loud rumbling noise coming from his stomach. The sun was nearly down, Shawn was surprised to see they'd spent the whole day out here already. The rumbling must have awakened Dene as well because she looked up and laughed at him. "Hmm. Sorry Babe but I only brought enough food for lunch. If you're as hungry as I am we should probably head back into town."

"Sounds good to me."

Shawn found Blaize drinking contentedly from the stream and the Tower mare chomping lazily at the grass. Leading them both back to tree he brushed them down and got them saddled and ready to go. Then he helped Dene mount so she could hold the mare in place while he removed the branch that blocked the exit. Blaize, once saddled, would not move without a rider. Mounting the stallion Shawn led the way back toward town.

They talked of many things on the way back but nothing important, it was mostly just a chance to grow closer as they shared their thoughts with one another. When they got back to the stables and Shawn turned the horses over to one of the boys Dene turned toward the mess hall, expecting that they'd be going there for dinner. "Not so fast my dear, I had something else in mind tonight."

She looked at him quizzically but he kept his secret to himself and led the way back into the city. Shawn led the way to the only bath house he knew of that also served some very delicious food. Besides the obvious pleasures associated with a bath house, this one was special. This was the place Dene had brought him on their first night as roommates, back in their trainee days. This was the place he had first rebuffed her sexual advances and he hoped she'd appreciate coming back to it now. Then again, he wondered if she'd even remember it.

• 2 weeks later...

Curled up in his arms, Deneira heard a rumbling. Opening her eyes, she lifted her head from Shawn's chest and heard his laughing. Joining in, they layed there for a few moments as she realised she was just as hungry as he. "Hmm. Sorry Babe but I only brought enough food for lunch. If you're as hungry as I am we should probably head back into town." She nodded her head and jumped up, ready to go eat. "Sounds good to me." Shawn went to take care of the horses while Deneira packed up their things. It took a little while, and the sun was setting, but life just seemed perfect. They were finally ready and Shawn brought over the horse she had been riding. He was even so good as to place her up on the saddle so that she wouldnt have to figure out mounting the blasted thing. Light, she wished she could have a pretty horse, and they could ride together all the time.

They talked a little on the way back, and she just enjoyed his company. Even though there was a distance between them, she could still feel a warmth as if his arms were wrapped around her right then and there. Eventually they got back to the stables and she started heading to the mess hall. However, he grabbed her hand and led her the other direction, into town. She nodded and followed him, waiting to see what surprise he might have up his sleeve. They came to a bathhouse, and immediately, Deneira remembered it. This had been their first date.

As they went inside, Deneira laughed and wrapped her arms around his neck, hugging and kissing him. "I can't believe you remembered this old place!" He grinned and whispered some romantic comment that Deneira melting, and she hugged him tighter. "And when I offer myself again, please dont deny it," she whispered seductively. His face turned a slight pink and Deneira kissed it then let go so that he could talk to the owner of the bath house. Light this was a day to remember!