DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hello from Ireland/Greece

ryanphlp2002

Hi all, long time lurker here, an Irishman in exile in Greece.

Been reading WOT since about 2002 only, very much a Tolkien and Gemmell fan before that, these days its George (will he ever write another book) RR Martin. Graduated onto here via WOT Faqs (I STILL think Graendal was not an "instinctive" suspect and Jordan was influenced as is Sanderson by fan theories ruling in/out things by analysing every little detail but that's my personal bugbear). Anyway I'm fascinated as I'm sure we all are in how Sanderson can finished all these threads in one book, what will be left out? What will be important? What will have us all frustrated? It'll be sad to know its THE END but I'm in the "the series lost its way several books ago" camp, still, that said, we are all here still interested and wanting more!

Welcome to DM!

I have to ask...what part of Greece? My mom and I are visiting Athens for four days in about a month and have mostly figured out our itenerary, but suggestions are always welcome!

And like wolfbrother said, check out the White Tower and the Band, they're great places to be and I hope to see you there!!

Welcome to DM!

I have to ask...what part of Greece? My mom and I are visiting Athens for four days in about a month and have mostly figured out our itenerary, but suggestions are always welcome!

And like wolfbrother said, check out the White Tower and the Band, they're great places to be and I hope to see you there!!

I won't slag off Kildare!

I'm in Athens, Well, you have the classics - the Acropolis Museum is new and very impressive, I like the Port of Piraeus, Plaka and Monasteraki are the classic tourist areas, tell them not to stay or hang about Ommonia - not a nice area. The cheapest places to eat and drink are the tavernas, you have to try the souvlaki (kebabs) in a place called Thanasis in Monasteraki. Also take the lift up to lycabettus mountain for the view. In about a month it should be decent enough weather here, took me a while to get used to 45 degrees in august!

That's 45 celsius right? lol bc 45 Farenheight is cold!

And we're arriving April 15th so I'm hoping that'll be good weather :) I think we're going to the port, definitely going up the mountain (Friday night we arrive...mom will not be happy with me as she'll still be jet lagged, meh oh well)

Wish i knew that about Ommonia as our hotel is a couple blocks from that plaza

And we're arriving April 15th so I'm hoping that'll be good weather :) I think we're going to the port, definitely going up the mountain (Friday night we arrive...mom will not be happy with me as she'll still be jet lagged, meh oh well)

Ah don't worry, lots of hotels around that area, some of them are on an ok side, yours is probably near the plaka side? Yup, 45 celcius! I think you'll have a grand time, life is relaxed here and the the mountain view is great by night.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to DM! :biggrin:

A bit late, but I noticed you joined the Band, so that is great news!

Greece is a lovely country. Been a few times on ancient site trips as part of my studies in Ancient Greek, which I did to degree level as part of my Classics degree (with Latin). I really want to go back at some stage as there is still plenty to see!

Oh, and I have dim and distant Irish in me - you don't need to look further than my surname, which is a good Irish one!

Ah don't worry, lots of hotels around that area, some of them are on an ok side, yours is probably near the plaka side? Yup, 45 celcius! I think you'll have a grand time, life is relaxed here and the the mountain view is great by night.

Sweet...we're in the Best Western hotel which had pretty good reviews last I checked so I think we'll be fine. Just as long as we try not to appear like tourists right? haha that'll be quite the effort!

Corki - what is your surname? We'll pull a pint of guiness for you and welcome you to the Celtic brotherhood! - after all even Barack is Irish now (great granddad from Offaly)! I do like Greece, as a history fan myself just to walk the same places as Pericles, Epaminondas, Agamemnon et all is a thrill! And by God the weather is an improvement over Ireland!

Jeannaisais - Best Western is a grand hotel, no probs there but the Greeks are welcoming anyway, was out at a birthday party wednesday and met a guy from new york over here on holiday, we are all going out for greek food (meze) and ouzo tomorrow courtesy of my in-laws, you and your Mam will have a ball here! If you need anything ask me, while my Greek is "etsi ketsi", my wife is practically a tour guide for my family and friends now!

Howdy Ryan, welcome to the forums. :smile:

Though I'm third generation Canadian, half of my lineage comes from Ireland (Crawfords, not sure from where) and I've always wanted to go there someday.

Hey Delrian, thanks for the welcome, Crawfords hmmmm probably from the north I would think Fermanagh maybe.

Corki - what is your surname? We'll pull a pint of guiness for you and welcome you to the Celtic brotherhood! - after all even Barack is Irish now (great granddad from Offaly)! I do like Greece, as a history fan myself just to walk the same places as Pericles, Epaminondas, Agamemnon et all is a thrill! And by God the weather is an improvement over Ireland!

Jeannaisais - Best Western is a grand hotel, no probs there but the Greeks are welcoming anyway, was out at a birthday party wednesday and met a guy from new york over here on holiday, we are all going out for greek food (meze) and ouzo tomorrow courtesy of my in-laws, you and your Mam will have a ball here! If you need anything ask me, while my Greek is "etsi ketsi", my wife is practically a tour guide for my family and friends now!

Well, you know more Greek than I do by far! Mom sent me a cheat sheet of the most important phrases to remember and what not, but we're planning on meeting up in the airport and heading off to the hotel together. Pretty sure we've got it all planned out just fine by now...I sure hope we do considering we're going to be there Friday afternoon!

It would seem I am too late! The band has claimed another poor soul!

Kidding :3

Welcome to the Mount!

I am glad to see a new face around these parts, it would seem you're in good hands with the Band! But incase you have some questions that they cant answer please feel free to PM me and I will answer them or help point you in the right direction!

Oh, and awesome avatar :3 Lovely crest.

Until next time we talk, have fun Storming the Mount!

Archived