DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

First post + Lan's future

Limwen

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

Have been reading stuff and links I saw here on the forums and was thinking about Lan.

Min's viewing about Lan:

[Lan] "has seven ruined towers around his head, and a babe in a cradle holding a sword . . ."

- The Eye of the World, Strangers and Friends

And in an interview, Robert Jordan said:

Q: "Do Min's viewings always predict the future, or do some tell about the past, mainly the 7 towers around Lan in The Eye of the World?

A: "Um, her viewings are always concerning the future."

Does this mean Lan will have a kid and die at Tarwin's Gap with Nynaeve already pregnant?

I think the vision means Lan will die and Nynaeve will raise her kid as Lan had been raised.

P.S. : First time I post, so don't be too hard on me, could be totally wrong...

I think there have been other theories about Lan dying that I´ve seen on the forums. Personally I´d be sad if Lan died, more for Nyneaves sake, cause she really rocks and I want her to be happy.

The baby holding the sword and the seven towers, I do think those two are just images to convey that Malkieri will rise again. It feels like a long shot that Lan will die and Nyn will give the sword to her child just like Lan´s parents did.

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

Have been reading stuff and links I saw here on the forums and was thinking about Lan.

Min's viewing about Lan:

[Lan] "has seven ruined towers around his head, and a babe in a cradle holding a sword . . ."

- The Eye of the World, Strangers and Friends

And in an interview, Robert Jordan said:

Q: "Do Min's viewings always predict the future, or do some tell about the past, mainly the 7 towers around Lan in The Eye of the World?

A: "Um, her viewings are always concerning the future."

Does this mean Lan will have a kid and die at Tarwin's Gap with Nynaeve already pregnant?

I think the vision means Lan will die and Nynaeve will raise her kid as Lan had been raised.

P.S. : First time I post, so don't be too hard on me, could be totally wrong...

I had the same thought as you regarding this viewing because of the interview answer you mention.

There is another quote that is relevant

DragonCon 4 September 2005 - Emma reporting

Question: The auras that Min sees: would they ever show the person's past or other elements that are simply unique to that person?

Jordan: No, it is the future.

IMO this makes it more difficult to argue that a babe in a cradle holding a sword is just a symbol from Lan's past which is used to represent his future.

It's quite possible IMO that the viewing refers to Land's future son. Of course as you say, that would mean that Nynaeve and Land have to meet again so that he can get her pregnant and then Lan would die.

Note, however, that despite all those quotes there is an example of a viewing by Min that does talk about the past. When she views Mazrim Taim she says that "he has blood in his past and in his future."

There's the possibility here of relation back to Nyneave's Accepted testing. In the last of her three, iirc, she found herself married to Lan, with a kid (or children, don't remember), living in the new Malkier. We know that what they see may be variations of the pattern, so I think that Min's viewing may be hinting at this kind of possible future.

Note, however, that despite all those quotes there is an example of a viewing by Min that does talk about the past. When she views Mazrim Taim she says that "he has blood in his past and in his future."

I had this discussion with someone on twitter. I don't think that she saw Taim's past. I think she was making an assumption of him based on observation and what she saw of his future. So something about his aura indicating his bloody future probably gave her the impression that he had a rough past as well.

I dunno about the regaining Malkier take on the viewing...Though at risk of over-simplifying, we do see the group, and Lan, with the seven towers on screen at the end of EoTW.

Seven ruined towers around Lan's head in Chapter 15...Lan at the seven ruined towers in Chapter 48.

*shrug

Archived