DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is Nynaeve pregnant? (ToM timeframe)

stoneface

Is Nynaeve pregnant during ToM? It would certainly help provide some continuity if Lan's cliffhanger ending goes as Lan expects. [if you have read ToM, you know what I mean. OK, spoilers are allowed, but not required.]

I don't know the timelines that well, so I defer to the collective wisdom on that count. Two arguments to consider:

1. Elayne's ability with the power went haywire. Different women respond differently to pregnancy; some get very sick, some don't even notice, with most in between.

2. Nynaeve should know the signs of pregnancy. She is also very adept at holding one set of rules for others and another set of rules for herself; she could easily dismiss such changes in her own case. She would also probably not want anyone to Delve her. Besides, not all women have regular periods.

Your thoughts?

Have I missed changes in her abilities with the Power? my brother has my copy of TOM, otherwise I would be looking into it myself. Or are there other things we are basing this on? or is it more a 'there is no indication of this but... Nynaeve may be preggers'

this link shows her parting ways with Lan on day 745, and TOM ends on day 845, so this is a convenient 100 day gap. Lets assume she got pregnant sometime in the 30 days before that, she will now be somewhere between 3 1/4 months and 4 1/4 months - so easily 2nd trimester but not over half way.

Nynaeve is described as 'slender' and short - if her baby is sitting in a good hiding position (along her spine) then combining that with loose fitting clothes, she could well have hidden the pregnancy. When my wife was half way through her pregnancy, a lot of people would be surprised when told she was pregnant.

Conclusion? if there is no basis for thinking it, then maybe. If there are things we think could indicate pregnancy then the likelyhood only increases

+1 - her thoughts show no signs of trying to protect/ preserve any foetus.

Doubt she would be so determined to go with Rand to SG if she was preggers.

Also don't think a Wisdom could go into 2nd trimester without knowing about it, even if it hasn't touched her ability to work OP.

Definitely not pregnant, she certainly would've refused to take the test for the shawl if she was, especially after she heard from Elayne how the pregnancy is affecting her ability to channel. She can channel with no problems, even though it's been a few months since Lan left (on the other hand Elayne had major troubles with it as early as the second month of her pregnancy), she has no mood swings (OK, not more than usual, actually less than in the earlier books), during her PoVs nothing hints of her being pregnant.

By that point there would be tons of other physical symptoms besides missed periods and trouble channeling. And while it's true Nynaeve can be willfully blind when she wants to, I can't see why she would want to in this case. She's always been rather ambivalent about children, true, but with Lan in mortal danger she'd likely be very protective of an unborn child.

Nynaeve pregnant by Lan, that depends at least on whether they have met.

From reading the Towers of Midnight pages at Encyclopaedia, they have not met in the chapters the Encyclopaedia people completed.

Of the uncompleted pages, only chance of them meeting seems to be Chapter 42.

Is Nynaeve pregnant during ToM? It would certainly help provide some continuity if Lan's cliffhanger ending goes as Lan expects. [if you have read ToM, you know what I mean. OK, spoilers are allowed, but not required.]

I don't know the timelines that well, so I defer to the collective wisdom on that count. Two arguments to consider:

1. Elayne's ability with the power went haywire. Different women respond differently to pregnancy; some get very sick, some don't even notice, with most in between.

2. Nynaeve should know the signs of pregnancy. She is also very adept at holding one set of rules for others and another set of rules for herself; she could easily dismiss such changes in her own case. She would also probably not want anyone to Delve her. Besides, not all women have regular periods.

Your thoughts?

as far as her knowing the signs of pregnancy, i dont think she would want to admit to herself she was pregnant

Nynaeve pregnant by Lan, that depends at least on whether they have met.

@mb, it's okay if you haven't read ToM. Obviously some folk here did. They did not meet. Therefore no baby. Hopefully it's not too late, though.

In all fairness, we don't know if Nyn can "saidar" a long-distance baby or if she hung onto an earlier sperm donation.

@mb But failing that, yes it's pretty certain from PoVs that they did not meet - I will not further spoiler.

By that point there would be tons of other physical symptoms besides missed periods and trouble channeling. And while it's true Nynaeve can be willfully blind when she wants to, I can't see why she would want to in this case. She's always been rather ambivalent about children, true, but with Lan in mortal danger she'd likely be very protective of an unborn child.

Most of those symptoms aren't present in women who can channel, per the Aiel Wise Ones.

Most of those symptoms aren't present in women who can channel, per the Aiel Wise Ones.

Unless I'm much mistaken, even those skip their menstrual cycle during pregnancies, correct? :wink:

100 days is a long time not to be aware that you're preggers.

Unless I'm much mistaken, even those skip their menstrual cycle during pregnancies, correct? :wink:

Without delving into subjects I REALLY don't want to, not all women have a period every month, or even every 3 months. My point being, she wouldn't get morning sickness etc, and without asking her questions I don't want to ask we won't know the rest. :ph34r:

Without delving into subjects I REALLY don't want to, not all women have a period every month, or even every 3 months. My point being, she wouldn't get morning sickness etc, and without asking her questions I don't want to ask we won't know the rest. :ph34r:

Most women do though, and I doubt RJ would've thought about things in that much detail. And personally I don't think Nynaeve is irresponsible enough to get pregnant when the world's going down the plug hole and she's going to be needed on the front line, so she was probably using Heartleaf. Or maybe Aes Sedai have some handy weave that does the job...

Your thoughts?

Nynaeve is one of the ones that I think is safe, so I don't think of it. Though her passion in "The Golden Crane" when mentioning her sons, seems as though there is some inside scoop.

Your thoughts?

Nynaeve is one of the ones that I think is safe, so I don't think of it. Though her passion in "The Golden Crane" when mentioning her sons, seems as though there is some inside scoop.

BTW the AS Healed her after the testing for the shawl. That suggests they must have Delved her. And one of them would probably have mentioned it if they'd found a foetus. Hence, she's not pregnant.

Archived