DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How does mat know?

moroten

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Majsju

He realizes it in KOD, in the chapter Dragon's Eggs. He thinks about the memories, and then starts thinking about how the finns had gathered those memories, as he is sure they never leave their realm. He also think about the odds of getting all these memories stuffed in his head, but not one of them concerning any childood. That's when he realizes that it is extremely likely they have created some sort of link to the people whos memories he has in his head, Which means they most likely have made such a link to him as well, ie they are in his head.

Guest cwestervelt

To by specific, it was all the memories of dying that clued him in. They only way for them to get those particular memorise was by maintaining some form of connection after the person left.

Here's a thought. I'm not sure if it's been suggested before, but there has been hints that Mat will lose an eye.

What if the Eelfinn and the Aelfinn see through only one of his eyes as opposed to both. If that's the case then maybe he'll have to remove it in order to prevent them from knowing he's coming. I know this sounds silly and I only half think this might be true but what do guys think?

I too have encountered that idea. My problem with it is simply. Mat's perceptions of his past lives include sound, double-eyed vision, touch and thought. If it were simply one eye... well they would be fairly pointless.

It's been speculated in other threads that he'll have to give up one of his eyes to get Moraine out... either as another Deal with the Finns, or to keep them from seeing he's coming, or maybe he just fights to get her back and loses it in the battle to rescue her.

Since the Aelfinn & Eelfinn gain something from peoples experiences could it not be that Mat just has to allow them to experience life looking through one of his eyes in payment for releasing Moiraine.

So he may not have to actually "cut out" one of his eyes merely give the use of it up?

If this doesn't make much sense I'm quite drunk, so that'll explain it!

I was just thinking after reading this thread, If the finns can gain experiences by viewing through his left eye couldn't he just put a patch over it and block them from viewing what's around him? Or is it that they can see through his eyelids and anything he puts over his eye.

The link to the finns would not be in his eyes' date=' but his brains. After all, his memories is not just visions. It is also the thoughts of the other people. He says he remembers dying. Not seing what a peron sees when hes dying.[/quote']

Very true- a blind person has just as many memories as a sighted person, the memories just don't include visual images. So even without vision, they would still have access to his experiences.

I've just spotted somthing while reading FoH (again!) and thought it might be relavent, or maybe not. It has to do with a dream of Egwenes' where she sees "Thom Merillin drawing Moiraines blue pendant out of a fire".

So I got to thinking that since Thom doesn't see Moiraine again that it may be Thom that will rescue her, not Mat. The reason for Mat being there may just because he can speak the Old Tongue.

I've just spotted somthing while reading FoH (again!) and thought it might be relavent' date=' or maybe not. It has to do with a dream of Egwenes' where she sees "Thom Merillin drawing Moiraines blue pendant out of a fire".

So I got to thinking that since Thom doesn't see Moiraine again that it may be Thom that will rescue her, not Mat. The reason for Mat being there may just because he can speak the Old Tongue.[/quote']

Mat would be the most important part, I would say.

Then again. All three will be, since if they are not 3, Moiraine will not be rescued.

I think he is the one most capable of dealing with the Finns though. He has encountered them before. And asically because no one can "play tricks" on a "tricker".

Edit: Rephrasing

Maybe it has nothing to do with his actual eyes, the finns say he will give up half the light to save the world (i think) maybe it is a reference to something that happens at TG not him losing an eye?

Yeah, I 've always suspected that he'll betray the White Tower somehow. It has served to preserve the world's history, etc. through the Trolloc wars and the War of the Hundred Years, the Aes Sedai certainly see themselves as enlightened, they serve the Light (well, most of them do), etc. I've always thought that perhaps, that's the half of the light of the world that he gives up. Now that he's married to Tuon, who wants to leash the Aes Sedai and leads the Seanchan, who are clearly planning an attack, I think there might be a creepy credibility to what, at first, just seemed a disturbing "What if" thought.

Maybe it has nothing to do with his actual eyes' date=' the finns say he will give up half the light to save the world (i think) maybe it is a reference to something that happens at TG not him losing an eye?[/quote']

Yeah, I 've always suspected that he'll betray the White Tower somehow. It has served to preserve the world's history, etc. through the Trolloc wars and the War of the Hundred Years, the Aes Sedai certainly see themselves as enlightened, they serve the Light (well, most of them do), etc. I've always thought that perhaps, that's the half of the light of the world that he gives up. Now that he's married to Tuon, who wants to leash the Aes Sedai and leads the Seanchan, who are clearly planning an attack, I think there might be a creepy credibility to what, at first, just seemed a disturbing "What if" thought.

Interesting alright, never thought of it with the seanchan, i was thinking more along the lines of him killing rand or perrin before TG, killing one of three taveren not very believeable but its all i had at the moment

I'm not sure that Mat will betray the White Tower to the Seanchan. After all he grew up in the Two Rivers. The three boys from there all have a tough time harming a woman let alone many of them. Mat has already saved a few Aes Sedai already. The White tower isn't exactly half of the world anyways. If we were to follow the train of thought of him giving up half of the world to the Seanchan it would more likly be that he would be giving up the western half of the world. The White Tower attack would more likely be done without Mat. Tuon has talked about making it her Capitol. I think (if I remember corectly) the preperations for an assult were started before Tuon went back to Ebu Dar.

Mat may have a dislike for Aes Sedai, but he's not an evil person. If it came to a battle between the White Tower and Seanchan he would side with the White Tower (unless he found a way to run as far from the whole thing he could)

Mat may have a dislike for Aes Sedai' date=' but he's not an evil person. If it came to a battle between the White Tower and Seanchan he would side with the White Tower (unless he found a way to run as far from the whole thing he could)[/quote']

Yup I think if he is anywhere near the white tower durring the attack he just might try and get away from it. Of course we all know that when he's tried that in the past he ended up in the thick of things. Like when he was trying to get away from the fight with the Shaido in The Fires of heaven. LOL Poor Mat. All he wants in life is a good game of dice and a kiss and cuddle from a woman now and then. And ends up being a general and now he's the prince of ravens

Ya I think he would side with the tower if it came to choose between the two. He's totally against the idea of leashing aes sedai. I don't think he's going to be anywhere around there durring the attack though.

Archived