DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Here Be Four EXCELLENT Sci-Fi//Fantasy Series I NEVER see recommended here...

The Fisher King

1 Melanie Rawn....Dragon Prince....The Star Scroll...Sunrunner's Fire......Stronghold....The Dragon Token....Skybowl........a 6 Book series with violence and twists akin to GRRM, a magic system similar in complexity to Jordan and a writing level of a very high order. Deeply focused on characterization. I love plot-oriented stories, but if you're more about character development and getting to love and feel like you know them, this is the way to go.

2 Piers Anthony...''Bio of a Space Tyrant''...a 5 Book Quintet. Anthony is better known for the silly, youth-oriented (yet endearing) Xanth series, but ''Bio'' is VERY Different. Gritty, Graphic, Great. Think Glen Cook's ''Black Company'' set in space.

3 Katherin Kertz...''The Camber of Culdi'' Trilogy......If you like the political storylines in KingsLanding that Martin writes about in ASOIAF, you'll LOVE this. Add a touch of Church Politics (Think the ''Septons'' in ASOIAF).

4 Kathleen O'Neal's ''Abyss of Light'' Trilogy. Sci-Fi Space Opera with extremely touching characters.

- Fish

Legends of the Guardian King series by Karen Hancock - A Christian allegory put into a fantasy world. Good vs. evil type plot.

Thanks, Locke. Theres always so many topics asking for suggestions of other good series/books...alot of the same names, understandably, come up...I wanted to start a thread suggesting ones that I rarely recall seeing suggested here, or that are maybe lesser-known when compared to the more popular ones. I have never heard of Legends...I'll definitely look into it! :)

- Fish

Yeah, thanks for opening the thread. =D That was a series my mom got me for Christmas one year. I was pretty doubtful when I started. (the icky cover art didn't help) In the end though, I was pretty sad and disappointed....that it was over, and I couldn't read more. ;)

I was actually getting close to the point of asking for book suggestions, so I'll keep this page bookmarked for when I go to the library. :)

Melanie Rawn used to be huge and frequently-recommended, but her inability to complete a series (she's now working on her third incomplete trilogy in a row) has soured both her fans and dented her reputation. It's one thing to take years and years to write a new book (like Rothfuss, Lynch and Martin) but rather another to abandon a trilogy after Book 2, refuse to write Book 3, start another trilogy, abandon it after Book 2, refuse to write Book 3 again and then move onto yet a new trilogy.

For underrated series I'd go for Rawn's co-writer Kate Elliott, whose recently-actually-completed CROSSROADS TRILOGY and her seven-volume CROWN OF STARS series are both pretty good.

Also, Paul Kearney who is awesome. MONARCHIES OF GOD is a completed five-volume series (now published as two omnibuses), whilst THE MACHT is an almost-completed trilogy (Book 3 out at the start of July) and he has some excellent stand-alones.

I recommend Mickey Zucker Reichert's The Renshai Trilogy. These three books are: The Last of the Renshai (1991) , The Western Wizard (1992) , Child of Thunder (1993). If you like the Renshai Trilogy, then you will want to read The Renshai Chronicles. It is also a trilogy and its three books are: Beyond Ragnarok (1995) , Prince of Demons (1996) , The Children of Wrath (1998)

I have read all six of those books. They are excellent books with lots of good characters, very good fight scenes, and very good plots with lots of depth in the plotlines. On a 10 point system, I score The Renshai Trilogy with an 8.5 and The Renshai Chronicles with a score of 7.8

I recommend Mickey Zucker Reichert's The Renshai Trilogy. These three books are: The Last of the Renshai (1991) , The Western Wizard (1992) , Child of Thunder (1993). If you like the Renshai Trilogy, then you will want to read The Renshai Chronicles. It is also a trilogy and its three books are: Beyond Ragnarok (1995) , Prince of Demons (1996) , The Children of Wrath (1998)

I have read all six of those books. They are excellent books with lots of good characters, very good fight scenes, and very good plots with lots of depth in the plotlines. On a 10 point system, I score The Renshai Trilogy with an 8.5 and The Renshai Chronicles with a score of 7.8

PERFECT suggestion for the spirit of this topic. I have actually read that trilogy and enjoyed it very much. Its great. Great suggestion.

- Fish.

Melanie Rawn used to be huge and frequently-recommended, but her inability to complete a series (she's now working on her third incomplete trilogy in a row) has soured both her fans and dented her reputation. It's one thing to take years and years to write a new book (like Rothfuss, Lynch and Martin) but rather another to abandon a trilogy after Book 2, refuse to write Book 3, start another trilogy, abandon it after Book 2, refuse to write Book 3 again and then move onto yet a new trilogy.

For underrated series I'd go for Rawn's co-writer Kate Elliott, whose recently-actually-completed CROSSROADS TRILOGY and her seven-volume CROWN OF STARS series are both pretty good.

Also, Paul Kearney who is awesome. MONARCHIES OF GOD is a completed five-volume series (now published as two omnibuses), whilst THE MACHT is an almost-completed trilogy (Book 3 out at the start of July) and he has some excellent stand-alones.

Thanks for the insight, Wert. I heard vaguely once about some series she and two other writers never got around to finishing about magic art or something. I didn't tknow this happened in another series. Can you shed some more light on that for me please - or direct me somewhere? Has Rawn ever andwered WHY she drops series - or apologized? ... Wert, have YOU read the six I mentioned? They are excellent - AND complete.

- Fish

PERFECT suggestion for the spirit of this topic. I have actually read that trilogy and enjoyed it very much. Its great. Great suggestion.

- Fish.

Did you also read The Renshai Chronicles

If not, then you just gotta read those three books. They are very enjoyable. I promise.

Thanks for the insight, Wert. I heard vaguely once about some series she and two other writers never got around to finishing about magic art or something. I didn't tknow this happened in another series. Can you shed some more light on that for me please - or direct me somewhere? Has Rawn ever andwered WHY she drops series - or apologized? ... Wert, have YOU read the six I mentioned? They are excellent - AND complete.

- Fish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanie_Rawn

Melanie Rawn (born 1954) is an author of fantasy literature. She received a BA in history from Scripps College and worked as a teacher and editor before becoming a writer.

She has been nominated for a Locus award on three separate occasions: in 1989 for Dragon Prince in the first novel category, in 1994 for Skybowl in the fantasy novel category, and again in 1995 for Ruins of Ambrai in the fantasy novel category. The third novel in the "Exiles" trilogy has been "forthcoming" for over a decade due to the author suffering from clinical depression and moving on to other projects to facilitate her recovery.

Her EXILES TRILOGY was left incomplete after her mother died and she decided to take a break from writing. Fair enough. She then wrote an urban fantasy sequence to recover her writing mojo which bombed (mostly because her fans refused to buy a book until she finished THE EXILES, which was a bit harsh). She'd previously said, quite clearly, that once the urban fantasy series was finished she'd complete the EXILES sequence. Instead, she's moved onto a new trilogy for Tor about wizards using magic to create movies or something. Her fans are understandably even more ticked off, especially after she put a character into the urban fantasy series taking the mickey out of them (note: don't bite the hands that feed you).

The other sequence you refer to is THE GOLDEN KEY series, starting with that book cowritten by Rawn, Kate Elliott and another author whose name I forget. Then each author was supposed to write a sequel by themselves. Fortunately, Rawn has written her instalment, THE DIVINER, and it's out in a few months. Elliott I think is supposed to write the next one but she's midway through two different series, so that will have to wait a few more years.

thanks for starting this thread Fish.

i'm putting together a Recomended Reading thread thats already stickied to point people to for thsi exact reason. alot of threads opening up on "what shoud i read now". it's taking a while for me to put together, but i'll make sure to troll this thread and add the names to the list :myrddraal:

I hear you, Red. Alot of the threads that crop up about Reading Suggestions - especially in the Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre, however - seem to have most of the same names repeatedly cropping up. I wanted to post a thread that didn't just have Jordan, Martin, Feist, Erikson, Pratchet etc continuously being recycled as suggestions and give a chance for some of the lesser-known series to be learned about. Alot are out there. In fact, I just remembered another veeery lesser known, yet quality, series from the 80s...the 7 Book:

Chronicles of the Cheysuli...by Jennifer Roberson.

- Fish

Another that I never see recommended is Michael Scott Rohans Winter of the World trilogy. The Anvil of Ice, The Forge in the Forest, and The Hammer of the Sun. Good read if you can find them. I just found out that there are three other books that come after these but they are impossible to find. Well, I found them but at crazy prices. Must have had very few printings. I saw one of the books on Amazon for over $100. The first three can be found easy enough on line.

The books are fantasy, set during the(an) ice age. Rohan is heavily influenced by mythology and you'll see bits and pieces of that throughout the series.

okay so i've got the list updated with authors/series i know. now i'll list the ones here in this thread that i'm going to add; but i need a few things clarified first. #3 i can probably find on my own, but the other 3 questions i need answered in order for the series to be added ot the offical list.

1. is it an Adult series, or children/teen series

2. is there a new release scheduled to come out in the series; if so whats the date

3. all the books in the series

4. main title the series goes by (ie: A Song of Fire & Ice, Wheel of Time, The Stormlight Archives, ect)

below are the authors listed in this thread (underlined). if you guys could help fill in the missing pieces i'll get them up much more quickly. thanks!

1. Melanie Rawn

Series title:

- Dragon Prince

- The Star Scroll

- Sunrunner's Fire

- Stronghold

- The Dragon Token

- Skybow

2. Piers Anthony

Series Title: Bio of a Space Tyrant

3. Katherin Kertz.

Series Title: The Camber of Culdi Trilogy

4. Kathleen O'Neal

Series Title: Abyss of Light Trilogy

5. Karen Hancock - Adult

Series Title: Legend of the Guardian King

- The Light of Eidon

- The Shadow Within

- Shadow Over Kiriath

- Return of the Guardian King

6. Kate Elliot

Series Title: Crossroads Trilogy

Series Title: Crown of Stars

7. Paul Kearney

Series Title: Monarchies of God

Series Title: The Macht

8. Mickey Zucker Reichert - Adult

Series Title: The Renshai Trilogy

- The Last of the Renshai

- The Western Wizard

- Child of Thunder

Series Title: The Renshai Chronicles

- Beyond Ragnarok

- Prince of Demons

- The Child of Wrath

Stand Alone: Flight of the Renshai

9. Donita K. Paul - Teen

Series Title: Dragon Keeper Series

- DragonSpell

- DragonQuest

- DragonKnight

- DragonFire

- DragonLight

10. Michael Scott Rohans - Teen

Series Title: Winter of the World Trilogy

- The Anvil of Ice

- The Forge in the Forest

- The Hammer of the Sun

11. R.A. Salvatore -

Series Title: Demon War series

Series Title: First King series

Mickey Zucker Reichert

Series Title: The Renshai Trilogy

- The Last of the Renshai

- The Western Wizard

- Child of Thunder

Series Title: The Renshai Chronicles

- Beyond Ragnarok

- Prince of Demons

- The Child of Wrath

1. I rate this series as Adult because of the very violent swordfighting and accurate descriptions of combat in the series. Also, unless a teenager enjoys the complexity of the WOT books, then I believe that the Renshai series will probably be too complex for said teenager.

2. The latest release was Flight of the Renshai and was published in 2009.

3. All the titles are listed in either the quote, or in answer #2

I have a suggestion of some series written by a well known writer but is overlooked "other" series.

I'm talking about R.A. Salvatore's Demon War and First King series.

Most people only know him for Drizzt but this series is his non D&D world building stuff.

Legend of Guardian King series:

Adult, I'd say.

The completed series consists of:

The Light of Eidon

The Shadow Within

Shadow Over Kiriath

Return of the Guardian King

DragonKeeper series:

This one's more on the teen side, following a younger protagonist and being a little more "magicky".

Completed series consists of:

DragonSpell

DragonQuest

DragonKnight

DragonFire

DragonLight

Quick note on that series: I was originally skeptical of these books, since I thought it was gonna be a cliche dragon book, however it really had barely anything to do with dragons at all.

added you two. thanks for your answers!!! i'll try to add them today :biggrin:

Vam - is the Flight of Renshi a stand alone, or part of one of the Trilogys?

Flight of the Renshai is probably the start of another Renshai trilogy. That will be determined by whether or not the author writes more Renshai books.

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

Nearly two decades ago, Mickey Zucker Reichert introduced fantasy readers to her greatest creation - the Renshai, a race of warriors who lived for battle and swordcraft, and who began training in the art of war from the moment their fingers could grasp a weapon. Set in a world enriched by Norse mythology, Mickey's first two trilogies about the Renshai - The Last of the Renshai and The Renshai Chronicles - captivated readers as they followed the adventurers of these legendary warriors who fought their way back from almost total extinction to claim a new homeland and find allies in a world where far too many still feared and despised them. Flight of the Renshai continues the Renshai saga begun in the previous two trilogies. Opening eighteen years after The Children of Wrath ended, Flight of the Renshai focuses on the main characters from the second trilogy, as well as their now-grown children. At the center of the story are the three sons of Kevral Tainharsdatter: Saviar Ra-khirsson, Subikahn Taesson, and Calistin Ra-khirsson.

Béarn and its allies, including the Renshai, are faced with mysterious pirates, the vanguard of an army sent from a continent across the sea. The "pirates" are becoming bolder, and have now attacked one of Béarn's flagships, a vessel on which young Prince Arturo was sailing with his Renshai guards. With all hands presumed lost, the threat of these marauders can no longer be ignored.

And even as King Griff grieves over the loss of the prince, Béarn must devise a strategy against this deadly enemy. Though Griff's two greatest weapons are the Kinghts of Erythane and the Renshai warriors with who Béarn is allied, prejudice against the Renshai is growing rapidly, fueled by their centuries-old enemies in the Northlands. The Northmen have convinced a faction in Erythane that the Renshai lands were stolen from them. As tensions escalate, the future of the Renshai hinges on a trial by combat. And though it appears that the Northmen have cheated, there is no way to prove it. Under the terms agreed to, King Griff is reluctantly forced to banish the Renshai from the Westlands.

Shunned by the Westerners and hunted by the Northmen, the Renshai will face many trials, while Saviar, Subikahn, and Calistin must each take his own stand in a world where there are no longer any safe havens for their people. Yet not only the Renshai are in dire straits. Without their aid, Béarn may well fall to the "pirate" army which is fast approaching its shores...

up to here i have them on the list to be added. thanks again for the info!!

I have a suggestion of some series written by a well known writer but is overlooked "other" series.

I'm talking about R.A. Salvatore's Demon War and First King series.

Most people only know him for Drizzt but this series is his non D&D world building stuff.

are these adult or teen series?

Archived