DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Meetings

drizzt_scimitar

I know that there have been several threads similar to this, but I haven't seen quite this take on it yet.

I was just thinking of the main characters who haven't met for a long time, and the main people that came to mind were Egwene and Perrin. After all, in book 1 they are pretty close, especially in the whole whitecloak/Elyas scene. Now, unless I'm forgetting something, they haven't met since the beginning of tSR in the Stone of Tear. That's about 7 books in which they haven't met or spoken at all. What do you think a meeting with them would be like? What will Egwene think of him being "Lord of the Two Rivers"?

And what other meetings are you looking forward to seeing in the last book?

What will Egwene think of him being "Lord of the Two Rivers"?

She'll probably call him a woolheaded lummox who needs to be taken down a notch, like she always does to the boys. Am I giving her too little credit?

The ones I look forward to most are Rand/Moiraine, which is almost certain to happen, and Rand/Tam, which I really hope will happen. I don't see why it wouldn't, since Tam is with Perrin, and Perrin will soon be on his way to rejoin Rand...unless Tam dies first, of course. That would be such a shame, though; Tam is too cool of a character to get so little screen time.

Won't Faile feel like a dooffuss when she learns about Maighdin. Which is fine. I just re-read KOD and I really don't like Faile. She is absolutely annoying. Always thinking about putting people in their place. For someone that decided to be a Horn Hunter and cast off her nobility she sure is a snob.

(From Zardi) "She'll probably call him a woolheaded lummox who needs to be taken down a notch, like she always does to the boys. Am I giving her too little credit?"

Yes. I think you're confusing her with Nynaeve. Egwene has matured considerably, especially from the time that she began her apprenticeship to Amys. Actually, all of the super girls have matured, so I don't know that any of them would react like that, although Elayne's reaction would be less predictable.

When she met Egwene in the T'AR version of Emond's Field and saw the banners flying, she didn't seem pleased, but then, she didn't know that they were Perrin's; she thought they were the banners of someone who was trying to set themselves up as a Lord. Perrin has had that thrust upon him, rather than seeking it out. She should grant him the title anyway, since he saved it from trollocs and indirectly spurred it's growth and development. At least Perrin, with his strong sense of duty, would probably pay his taxes, which is more than can be said for any other Emond's Fielder of the past few generations.

Can you blame Emond's Fielders for not paying their taxes? No one has come to collect it for generations. The Two Rivers has not seen Andoran military on their soil for generations; they haven't even had a representative from the queen to check up on the region every so often. Were the villages supposed to send someone to Caemlyn every year with a chunk of the farmers' gold to give to a queen who barely acknowledges their existence? To a queen who knows that Two Rivers people don't even realize that they are Andoran? No...they shouldn't have to pay any taxes unless Andor can give them something back for it, and I'll lose a lot of respect for Perrin if he does that without making some sort of deal with Elayne first. Actually, I'm really interested in seeing how that will play out, whether the Two Rivers will be reintegrated into Andor now that it has its own lord, or whether it will remain a somewhat separate region.

:shock: Light, but you're fiesty, aren't you? That poor girl you snapped at the other day for stereotyping, for example,...well, actually, I thought that was funny when I read it. It's not as funny when you hang your foot up MY rump, though. :P

I can see how my statement about Perrin paying his taxes could be taken as a slam against the rest of the Emond Fielders, especially from the way it was worded ("...which is more than you can say for the rest of Emond's Field blah blah"), but that wasn't quite how I intended it. I meant only that from a Queen's POV, Perrin should be a welcome addition to the Andoran nobility; he would bring income where before, there had been none. I wasn't saying that the Two Rivers, as an Andoran province, sucks; I was saying that Perrin rocks and that Elayne had better recognize that when she addresses this whole "Lord of the Two Rivers" thing. You're preaching to the choir. I'm on your side; I'm just not clear and concise.:wink:

From Elayne's POV, whether or not they've received services is a separate issue from whether or not they may feel free to raise the banner of Manetheren on Andoran soil, regardless of how long it's been since the Queen's representatives have been in the area. Without her having seen the banners, I doubt that Elayne would care any more than the last few queens have whether or not Emond's Field pays a copper to anyone for anything.

Since she's seen the banners, however, her eye has been drawn to what is her province, at least in name, and she made note of the situation with the clear intention of addressing it, harshly if need be, regardless of what her friend and Amyrlin, Egwene, might think about it. If she sends the army in to deal with it, you can bet that they'll be paying taxes whether they think they should or not! My feeling is that she's mistaken as to the reason for the banners; it isn't a revolt or a declaration of independence per se, and in fact, the banners belong to one of her friends.

In light of that, I was suggesting that she'll likely relent. I'm assuming that either services will be provided, or barring that(which seems likely, as I doubt Andor will be as strong after TG as it is now, and now, it's too weak to provide service to the Two Rivers), she'll grant some sort of autonomy to Perrin and the Two Rivers. At the very least, she'll let up about the banners and just ignore the province, or at least, she should, based on all the points that Zardi made in her earlier post.

In short, the good folk of the Two Rivers SHOULDN'T pay taxes, and I didn't mean to imply in any way that they should.

I think it more likely that there will be a new Manetheren before the Two Rivers pay taxes.

Especially when you read TSR when Perrin rallies Emonds Field and the rest of the Two Rivers. Think about it, they were willing to follow the Red Eagle of Manetheren but no-one would acknowlege that they were a part of Andor.

Also consider the sudden influx of foreigners mentioned at the start of Fires of Heaven. These are all more likely to start a new nation than just become part of Andor.

The Two Rivers would easily be able to defend themselves if Elayne tried to claim taxes by force, being as well protected as they are by the surrounding rivers.

While Rand has made the connection, I doubt Galad has. He hasn't really had the opportunity to do so, other than possibly noticing the resemblance Rand bears to Tigraine. That will be an interesting meeting to see, nonetheless.

Elayne/Gawyn, Rand/Gawyn, Galad/Gawyn, and Morgase/Gawyn are others I look forward to. Mostly, I just want to see Gawyn proven wrong and see if he'll feel guilty for not helping Rand during the kidnapping.

Ben: Maybe I should use more smilies to convey my mood. I don't mean to come across as snappy. Feisty, though, I'm ok with :P

Archived