DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will Mat be a letdown in AMOL?

spoke

149 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mat be a letdown in AMOL?

Rand has Moridin, DO, and Fain to contend with.

Perrin has Slayer to contend with.

Mat already killed the Gholum, and exited the Tower of Genji, so he doesn't really have an enemy that has been building for several books.

Sure he will be involved, and up to his usual antics, and all his other stuff, but what does he got going for him as far as a huge conflict?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmmm....

Re-uniting with Tuon. I'm hoping for a possible scene involving Matt, Rand and Perrin all striding in together to met her. The Fox, The Dragon Reborn and the Wolf King...how's that for an omen Tuon?

Recovering the Horn from the WT.

Most likely imo taking over not only the Seanchan forces but all the forces of the Light quite possibly.

I also think there's a Demandred vs Matt showdown coming, General vs General, gambler vs gambler.

So no, I doubt Mat will be a let down :biggrin:

I always think Mat will come with the whole Seanchan behind him and suprise everyone. Then he will use his talent of battles to form a great strategy. :D

I like the Mat vs Demandred idea! That would be mindblowing - I even wouldn't care about Rand and the fate of the world; I would just read it for this epic fight.

Demandred isn't Couladin, he's not stupid enough to let himself be caught in close combat with Mat. Besides even with the medalion Mat is hardly completely safe from the power. Look at what happened with Rahvin. Demandred could just blow the ground up from under Mat's feet and it would be game over.

Demandred isn't Couladin, he's not stupid enough to let himself be caught in close combat with Mat. Besides even with the medalion Mat is hardly completely safe from the power. Look at what happened with Rahvin. Demandred could just blow the ground up from under Mat's feet and it would be game over.

Not what I meant.

I was thinking more along the lines of them and their respective armies meeting on the field.

I think Rand -> Shayol Ghul will be early in aMoL. He'll 'die' in some manner and will still be alive in another manner on a boat of some sort. Most of this book, at least the latter half, will be Mat taking the field against the Horde led by Demandred while Perrin struggles to keep the various nations united in the struggle.

So, I think the most important functions of Mat/Perrin are yet to come. Perrin is soon going to be the only leader acceptable to the Seanchan (through Tylin and her report to Tuon), the Aes Sedai (through Egwene), the Borderlanders (through Faile/Bashere), the Two Rivers (duh), Andor/Cairhien through the new alliance with Elayne, Mayene/Ghealdan through Berlaine/Alliandre. What's left? Tear/Illian? They're loyal to Rand and will be loyal to his apparent successor and friend (probably).

Mat? He'll be getting a lot of action I would imagine. Mat will be Patton to Perrin's Eisenhower.

Perrin is soon going to be the only leader acceptable to the Seanchan (through Tylin and her report to Tuon), the Aes Sedai (through Egwene), the Borderlanders (through Faile/Bashere), the Two Rivers (duh), Andor/Cairhien through the new alliance with Elayne, Mayene/Ghealdan through Berlaine/Alliandre. What's left? Tear/Illian? They're loyal to Rand and will be loyal to his apparent successor and friend (probably).

I don't think Tuon would favor a friend of a Seanchan general over her husband for one. Also, Bashere, Rhuarc, Elayne/Birgitte and Lan knows how much of a military genius Mat is. I don't think they value Perrin's strategic mind as much. Lastly, the Band of the Red Hand is now the most famous private army in the whole of randland and I think being its leader count for a lot.

I happen to think Perrin would yield to Mat's leadership more than the other way around.

Mat may have married the Nine Moons, but he has not yet "bound the Nine Moons" re the Karatheon Cycle.

Don't worry doubters, Mat has mountains to move still.

And has anyone forgotten the horn? Mat is still bound to it.

Mat will probably end up back with Tuon for a good part of it and the parts when he was with her were his worst and most poorly written parts in the series, so I imagine that they'll go downhill again because the only thing that sucks worse than them as a couple is Tuon as an individual.

He will get to kill Graendal and sound the Horn, so he'll have his good moments, but it won't be one of his better books.

I've never been a fan of this whole 'pairing up' of characters for confrontations, so it doesn't matter to me that Mat doesn't have an opposite.

There's Mellar (the opposite of Mat in his treatment of women; also got a foxhead medallion now), but he's not important enough of a character. I can see Olver killing him.

Rand has Moridin, DO, and Fain to contend with.

Perrin has Slayer to contend with.

Mat already killed the Gholum, and exited the Tower of Genji, so he doesn't really have an enemy that has been building for several books.

Sure he will be involved, and up to his usual antics, and all his other stuff, but what does he got going for him as far as a huge conflict?

Demandred

He'll steal a queen (again), save the girl (again), demoralise the enemy (again), be completely rude to all he speaks to all the while radiating innocence, come up with an out-there theory about people he can't understand and have a re-match against Galad and Gawyn just to prove the luck's still there even though the eye isn't.

All this has been done before though, so his crowning glory will be making Talmanes laugh

I'm actually expecting Mat to kick ass in AMoL. It's been a good 8 or so books since he's really used his military expertise on the battlefield and I'm looking forward to him hopefully being the general of the combined good-guy forces.

All this has been done before though, so his crowning glory will be making Talmanes laugh

Talmanes has right out laughed before, just hasn't been in a very long time.

LoC Chptr 5 when Mat is getting tongue-tied by the pretty serving girl Betse.

Not what I meant.

I was thinking more along the lines of them and their respective armies meeting on the field.

Oh, sorry. It's just that I've seen people saying that they could fight one on one, and, while I like to keep an open mind, that seems outright absurd.

I agree that a meeting of their armies on the field would be pretty great. Not the least because I don't see Mat winning that one easely. It would be very, very tough.

as far as i see it, he has the biggest obstacle left to face - his wife.

seriously, i think it will be him who has to forcefeed Tuon logic with a teaspoon.

Picture yourself a 2 year old baby who does not at all want to eat his porridge, thats what is ahead of Mat now

• 2 weeks later...

I think the question should be, Is Demandred going to be a letdown? After 13 books, he's done practically nothing and now he's just going to poof! on to the battlefield? He better do something awesome! If he shows up and gets pimp slapped like all the rest of the Forsaken have, then I'm going to laugh and cry at the same time.

Mat is the only let down I have had of BS's writing. He is just not the same character. And say all you want about him trying to change his ways for his new lifestyle yadayadayada... Just don't enjoy him as much.

Story wise, I think it's going to be Mat the General against the Armies of Night as his final contest. There is too much field for him to cover in this book. He's either going to bale on his responsibilities to Rand and go with his heart for Tuon or he is going to bale on her and fight for Rand. Rand KNOWS how important Mat is. He will need the best General he has. I can't recall, (and a friend has my copy) if Rand know's about Mat's marriage yet or not. Rand just could take it kind of badly. He'll see the advantage eventually but all in all. I could see him getting kind of ticked at first.

Archived