DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WOT Names In Real-Life

Anyone find possible WOT fans via their names? Anyone name their pets or kids after WOT characters, places, or events?

Skipping over most examples of the fairly normal/common (Mat, Thom, Elayne)...how about less common? I know one of the podcasters named his cat Lanfear.

"Perin" (with french prononciation like "and") is a not very common but normal french first name for a boy. "Perine" (pronounced like WOT's Perrin) is the equivalent for girls and is a more frequently seen (but not often either).

I guess a lot of people here would also accept Zarine as a normal first name, like "Carine" is.

EDIT: going through encyclopaedia-wot, I find some good names, like http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/characters/a/ananda.html who has the same first name as my cousin.

But I can't think of a major character.

I heard a lady at church calling her son "Perrin" once, and I asked her where the name came from. She kind of rolled her eyes and said with a sigh, "Well, my husband is a fan of..." I cut her off mid-sentence and said, "THE WHEEL OF TIME!!??!" Needless to say, we both had a good laugh as I was outted as a nerd at church.

Hi! Just going to pop in and day that my name is Alanna, pronounced like Elena, so it's kinda Uh-lane-uh, as opposed to a-lawn-uh. Definitely not based off of WoT, my parents curse the series because I'm addicted to it. They were originally thinking of calling me Lannie, or Lainie, or some variation thereof, but decided on Alanna (which is misspelt, because the double consonant should make the "a" long). So technically, my name is Alana. unsure.gif Pardon my choppy thoughts, I'm sick right now... the brain isn't flowing too smoothly. But yeah, my name is Alanna Lynn Hampton. rolleyes.gif

Also wanted to say, I named my computer Aviendha. laugh.gif

Hi! Just going to pop in and day that my name is Alanna, pronounced like Elena, so it's kinda Uh-lane-uh, as opposed to a-lawn-uh. Definitely not based off of WoT, my parents curse the series because I'm addicted to it. They were originally thinking of calling me Lannie, or Lainie, or some variation thereof, but decided on Alanna (which is misspelt, because the double consonant should make the "a" long). So technically, my name is Alana. unsure.gif Pardon my choppy thoughts, I'm sick right now... the brain isn't flowing too smoothly. But yeah, my name is Alanna Lynn Hampton. rolleyes.gif

Also wanted to say, I named my computer Aviendha. laugh.gif

I give my PC-system always female names when I install it, after all it crashes down on me for things which don't make any sense for no apparent reason and it somehow works again when I hit it :tongue:

Well, jokes aside years ago my little sister's email adress was aviendha@something.de

I've not run across any IRL WOT names, but when I was playing WoW there were quite a few WOT-inspired names on my server. I remember a warrior named Asmodean, and someone was using Lanfear (although I can't recall what class that one was)... One of my guildies had a paladin named Alysandra after Lan and Moiraine's aliases... and another one had characters named after both Nynaeve and Egwene.

I've never met anyone with a Wheel of Time name, but when we got my dog two years ago I begged my parents to name him Hopper. xD Sadly, he ended up with the name Marvin, which I think is much weirder.

Haven't run into any wOT in real life - but a few close calls:

A hockey player for the Bruins last season was Miroslav Satan - however, it is pronounced Shah-tahn. Had a game on in the living room, I was in the kitchen when I hear "..and Shai'tan clears it out of the zone!!". A near miss, because we all know the real GLOTD wears a Flyers jersey.

There's a used car dealer down the road named "Lewis Henry Auto Sales" - I keep seeing the sign as "Lews Therin" instead.

I've not run across any IRL WOT names, but when I was playing WoW there were quite a few WOT-inspired names on my server. I remember a warrior named Asmodean, and someone was using Lanfear (although I can't recall what class that one was)... One of my guildies had a paladin named Alysandra after Lan and Moiraine's aliases... and another one had characters named after both Nynaeve and Egwene.

Nice, some of my WoW characters are after the Chosen too. Moghedien for a gnome rogue, Semirhage for a draenei shadow priest, and Mesaana for a blood elf ret paladin. lol

I named my daughter Aviendha, because I think its a beautiful name, even though I am not overly enamored with the character.

I love that name also. Not sure the wife would let me name a kid that though.

Ah well, the trick is not to say where the name comes from. For some reason, Fantasy doesn't have the same illustrious stature as other art forms lol...So instead, I just "thought of it" one day. I will wait a little before telling her lol...

Nice, some of my WoW characters are after the Chosen too. Moghedien for a gnome rogue, Semirhage for a draenei shadow priest, and Mesaana for a blood elf ret paladin. lol

I played Semirhage as a Disc priest :) and my first character was Elayne ... a warlock oO

I also toyed around with a hunter named Elyas.

I named my daughter Aviendha, because I think its a beautiful name, even though I am not overly enamored with the character.

I met someone at a ToM book signing in Baltimore less than a week after the ToM release that did the same thing.

It wasn't you was it?

No - I live in North Carolina and have never been to Baltimore. So thats peculiar!

I had a work-mate that was named Logain (pronounced Loh-gan), I'm not sure where he was from but he was foreign so I never thought anything about the spelling, but then I read the books and was like wow... So now even though I know it's wrong, when I read the books it's always "Logan".

Also my Grandfather's middle name was Elyas.

A.

India had a war-hero called Shaitan Singh and yes, Shaitan means "devil" in most Indian languages (as in Persian, Turkish, Urdu,) but it has many shades and connotations. It may be affectionately used by a mum to describe her kids, or as a descriptor for somebody really nasty like a serial killer.

Archived