DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Metalheads?

metallicafan08

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of those are not really all that heavy, you know. Including Metallica.

I saw Metallica live with GNR and Faith No More at the Superdome about twenty years ago. Does that count? Also, I once got Riki Rachtman's autograph in pink. I wish I hadn't lost it...

Some of those are not really all that heavy, you know. Including Metallica.

True (although I disagree about Metallica), but I'm more into the hard rock as opposed to the hardcore heavy metal.

I saw Metallica live with GNR and Faith No More at the Superdome about twenty years ago. Does that count? Also, I once got Riki Rachtman's autograph in pink. I wish I hadn't lost it...

That Metallica/GNR tour was my first concert (but I saw them in Denver). :biggrin:

That Metallica/GNR tour was my first concert (but I saw them in Denver). :biggrin:

Awesome. I had been to a few by then, including GNR's previous tour for Use Your Illusion. I was incredibly unimpressed with them in New Orleans...Faith No More went first, and they were AWFUL. Metallica went next, and they were very good, though I never liked their music as much as GNR's (particularly Appetite for Destruction). Then GNR came on like an hour or so after Metallica went off stage, and they were pretty awful too. Not as bad as FNM, but still bad. I think they might have celebrated a bit too much on Bourbon Street or something.

The only heavy-leaning band I really like these days is Tool, but I don't listen to them much either. Mostly Bach and Chopin.

Awesome. I had been to a few by then, including GNR's previous tour for Use Your Illusion. I was incredibly unimpressed with them in New Orleans...Faith No More went first, and they were AWFUL. Metallica went next, and they were very good, though I never liked their music as much as GNR's (particularly Appetite for Destruction). Then GNR came on like an hour or so after Metallica went off stage, and they were pretty awful too. Not as bad as FNM, but still bad. I think they might have celebrated a bit too much on Bourbon Street or something.

The only heavy-leaning band I really like these days is Tool, but I don't listen to them much either. Mostly Bach and Chopin.

Yeah GNR was terrible at the concert I saw too (which sucked because I was a much bigger GNR fan [should have put them on my list] than Metallica, especially at that time). Axl just disappeared from the stage for like 45 minutes and they played some drum and harmonica solos for almost an hour while they tried to get him back. Metallica was excellent though.

I seem to remember them doing that in NO too, though I thought it was part of the scheduled production (I was only about 12). It's pretty ironic considering the reasons that Steven Adler was kicked out of the band.

Aye aye.

Some bands I like to listen (I know they ain't all heavy metal, but meh, close enough):

Disturbed

Jorn

Machinae Supremacy

Scorpions

In Flames

Deathstars

Papa Roach

Edguy

Megadeath

Motörhead

Linkin Park

Korn

Gotthard

Blind Guardian

Lacuna Coil

Sonata Arctica

Helloween

Metallica - Nothing Else Matters, Orion, Eye of the Beholder, Fade to Black, Blackened, Unforgiven part 2 (read: Lord of Chaos), Until It Sleeps

System Of A Down - Chop Suey, Innervision, Toxicity, Question

Racer X - Scarified

Papa Roach (cant remember, only a couple of tracks)

Megadeth - Hangar 18

I love Tool. Just saw them about a month back.

Best. Band. Ever.

Quite a few WoT-ish themes running through too, especially Lateralus and beyond.

"Spiral round...keep...going..."

I don't really know much Tool. But I know enough to agree they are one of the best bands ever, from a purely musical perspective. I was going to score Schism and hand it to my 20th Century Harmony prof for possible future teaching (I mean, he includes Zappa, so why not Tool?) but I couldn't figure out how to do triplets in Finale so I gave up.

Well, I can think of plenty of music I'd call art. Just not much that's on the radiowaves. I've even considered analyzing a few GNR songs from AFD for a music theory project. Some of them are actually extremely sophisticated in form, like Welcome to the Jungle. That song has so much charismatic balance in its form - even Schism falls short with the random crap that is tacked on to the end of the song. I'm not sure what they were thinking, so usually I try to pretend like those measures don't exist. But Schism beats WttJ in complexity. I dig complexity. I also dig contrapuntal complexity more than I dig rhythmic complexity, which is why I dig, for example, Sweet Child o' Mine and Paradise City. Some relatively simple stuff going on in both songs, but still nicely done, and either song beats random chord progressions any day.

I listen to some Opeth, Pain of Salvation, and Devin Townsend. Saw Dream Theater in concert, and Periphery. (both were a bit too loud for me though so we had to move to the back of the venue, to my boyfriend's great chagrin...) I also enjoy System of a Down, Godsmack, and Disturbed.

so... a maybe? :rolleyes:

Metalhead here. There is something so soothing about growls and blast beats.

Favorite bands include:

Amon Amarth

Arch Enemy

At The Gates

Behemoth

Bloodbath

Cannibal Corpse

Carnal Forge

Chimaira

Deicide

DevilDriver

Entombed

The Haunted

Lamb of God

Machine Head

Nile

Opeth

Raubtier

Slayer

Thyrfing

Unleashed

Vader

Lots of others too, but I'm not gonna bore you.

I grew up on Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Hendrix, Kiss, Triumph, Helix, Scorpions, Stones, Iron Maiden, some Wasp among others.

Wore the painted on jeans, had the long hair and the dangling cross earing heh.

Funny actually, I started reading the WoT series the same year I cut my hair off and donated a full 16 inches to cancer victims almost 20 years ago now.

It was good music, "real" music.

I can't really comment on the radio waves these days. I haven't had a radio in my car for about six years now, and I didn't listen to it much before then either. No TV. I'm blessedly culturally oblivious, except what comes through my friends (and I even try to tune them out most of the time because they listen to some really awful stuff sometimes, but I'm guessing most of that would fall into the 'emo' category, or maybe 'indie').

I can't really comment on the radio waves these days. I haven't had a radio in my car for about six years now, and I didn't listen to it much before then either. No TV. I'm blessedly culturally oblivious, except what comes through my friends (and I even try to tune them out most of the time because they listen to some really awful stuff sometimes, but I'm guessing most of that would fall into the 'emo' category, or maybe 'indie').

Me either, I have had all the WoT books on my truck's mp3 player for a couple of years now along with the Zeppelin box set when I need something else or have non WoTers.

Hitting random on a long trip can be a real mind f**k.

Archived