DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Verin's letter to Alanna

herid

so what are the theories on Verin's red letter to Alanna? how did she even get it to Alanna? At first I thought that Verin may have left it with Alanna before leaving Tear with instructions similar to those she gave Mat. but that doesn't seem likely as she would not know exactly when to let Alanna open it. that would mean that Verin must have Traveled back to Tear after leaving Mat. But how did she get it to Alanna unseen? and how did Alanna leave unseen? Did she (or Verin) learn the invisibility weave from somebody? from Nynaeve? it's mentioned in LoC that apparently no Aes Sedai other than Moiraine knew that weave. I really can't see what else she could have used. but it's also mentioned in LoC that few Aes Sedai were strong enough to use the invisibility weave which means that it requires pretty powerful channeling.

Elayne remarks on this:

The plain green disc that allowed someone not strong enough to work the invisibility trick—not many were—had been her idea from the first.

-Loc, Prologue

Alanna apparently didn't weave anything strenuous.

so what are the theories on Verin's red letter to Alanna? how did she even get it to Alanna? At first I thought that Verin may have left it with Alanna before leaving Tear with instructions similar to those she gave Mat. but that doesn't seem likely as she would not know exactly when to let Alanna open it. that would mean that Verin must have Traveled back to Tear after leaving Mat. But how did she get it to Alanna unseen? and how did Alanna leave unseen? Did she (or Verin) learn the invisibility weave from somebody? from Nynaeve? it's mentioned in LoC that apparently no Aes Sedai other than Moiraine knew that weave. I really can't see what else she could have used. but it's also mentioned in LoC that few Aes Sedai were strong enough to use the invisibility weave which means that it requires pretty powerful channeling.

Elayne remarks on this:

The plain green disc that allowed someone not strong enough to work the invisibility trick—not many were—had been her idea from the first.

-Loc, Prologue

Maybe she altered her appearance. Or maybe a man channeling saidin got her out of there.

Elayne remarks on this:

-Loc, Prologue

Maybe she altered her appearance. Or maybe a man channeling saidin got her out of there.

an illusion weave is a possibility. but again, who taught it to Alanna? I doubt it could have been a man channeling. at least I can't think of who it might have been if it was a man. It was someone sent by Verin and she is not known to command any Asha'man. who else could it be?

Elayne remarks on this:

-Loc, Prologue

an illusion weave is a possibility. but again, who taught it to Alanna? I doubt it could have been a man channeling. at least I can't think of who it might have been if it was a man. It was someone sent by Verin and she is not known to command any Asha'man. who else could it be?

Oh I'm not saying it's likely, I'm just throwing ideas out there. Though Nynaeve is capable of doing the illusion weave and I can't think of any reason for her not to tell Alanna how.

We know Alanna went up to the Borderlands. Might just be to organize the defenses. Maybe give Lan a little help.

Alanna knows Illusion (she made herself appear much taller in LoC to scare the Two Rivers girls for example).

I'm not sure that this is quite the same thing as making yourself look as another person. Elayne and Nynaeve learned the disguise weave from Moggy (LoC, prologue). This is mentioned among their other "discoveries" which seem to indicate that other Aes Sedai didn't know that weave.

She did not feel proud at all. Not with all of their “discoveries” coming from Moghedien. There had been a good many, beginning with “inverting,” so a weave could not be seen by any but the woman who had woven it, yet they had not passed everything on. How to hide your ability to channel, for one. Without that, Moghedien would have been unmasked in hours—any Aes Sedai within two or three paces of a woman could sense whether she could channel—and if they learned how to do that, they might learn how to penetrate it. And how to disguise yourself; inverted weaves made “Marigan” look nothing at all like Moghedien.

Archived