DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

If you could choose who ends up with whom...

t.shaleva

Hey guys!

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about the couples in the book (sorry if there was already one that I didn't see). For example, if Mat wasn't destinied to marry Tuon who would be the best match for him? And if Rand had to choose only one of his three girls, would you want it to be Min, Aviendha or Elayne? I have a feeling that a lot of people will say something about Faile and Perrin but personally I can't think of someone for Perrin...Berelain maybe? :D

I think it would have been fun for Mat to end up with (and I know that it will upset some of you)..Elayne. It's just that he's always saving her and they can't stand each other (at least in the previous books) and that looks like a promising love story :D

What do you think?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think they're all much too young to be so serious with one to three people, but i guess when the world's ending. . .

i don't see mat married to anyone. he's a little too naughty, though i'm sure he could have anyone he wanted. i thought it was a little weird how instantly he caved to the idea that he had to marry tuon, it doesn't seem like him. of all the characters in the book, i could see him with moiraine better than anyone. they'e be. . . fun. . . for each other.

if rand had to choose i think he'd choose min, and i prefer his interactions with her than with either of the other two. but in the given scenario, i don't think he has anywhere near enough time or energy to give to any relationship, so it's just as well the girls have each other for emotional support.

perrin should end up with some nice tinker girl, or maybe someone from emmond's field. i don't think he can handle complicated social situations.

I've always thought that Min was out of place in the group of 3 with Rand. I'm also of the mind that one woman is more than enough woman for any man- I completely understand how more than one man can fall for a woman or as in this case, vice versa, but RJ stretched the bounds of my credulity when all three of the randomly chosen women, Elayne, Min, and Aviendha, agree to be Rand's consorts together! I can see how having two wives is acceptable and a normal part of Aiel culture, but Rand was never raised in that culture to begin with, and neither were 2 of his 3 partners. RJ just decided off the bat that Rand is apparently enough man to satisfy three women. Yeah, right.

Anyhow, all that brings me to my answer to your question. I'd say Rand should have one girlfriend/wife and that Aviendha would be perfect(IMO) for him. One of my favorite parts in the entire series was when those two had first started being around each other and striking sparks. While it isn't why I picked her, here's another reason for them to be together: Rand is the born leader of the Aiel people, he has ties of blood to them and Aviendha would be the cultural tie. ToM

We already know from ToM and her vision in the glass columns in the book that she's going to play a big part in guiding the Aiel down the right path to prevent their annihilation.

Also, it probably helps that Aviendha is one of my top 3 favorite female characters in the series.

As I mentioned above, Min has always seemed overshadowed by the other two girls to me when counted as one of the big three who are Rand's lovers. Rand's a channeler, Elayne and Avi are channelers, Min isn't. Rand's the Dragon Reborn, Elayne's destined to be the Queen of Andor and eventually Cairhien, Aviendha's a Wise One and

will lead the Aiel alongside Rand (as I mentioned in the previous spoiler), while he leads in military matters, she will in cultural matters as WO.

Min simply isn't the right fit for that group. She has her viewings but that's not enough. The viewings are similar to a Talent(like Foretelling), in which case Elayne can make ter'angreal, Avi can unweave webs and read ter'angreal, etc etc. Even just counting Talents they equal or outshine Min. I think she would shine much more with one of the other ta'veren. Who? Mat of course. I think Mat's humor would go quite well with Min's nature, she would love Mat's rogue-ishness and probably even join him at gambling etc. And as a side note, they're both fans of throwing knives, I'm sure Min could learn a thing or two from Mat on the matter.

Another ToM

While neither of them are main characters, I think the match-up between Berelain and Galad is going to be hilarious and amazing to see and is probably going to be perfect.

I'm also of the mind that one woman is more than enough woman for any man- I completely understand how more than one man can fall for a woman or as in this case, vice versa, but RJ stretched the bounds of my credulity when all three of the randomly chosen women, Elayne, Min, and Aviendha, agree to be Rand's consorts together!

i actually have known of quite a few situations where there were more than two people involved in "one" relationship, and it works as well as any other kind of relationship, as far as i can tell. not that that's saying much. humans can be difficult to understand.

I'd say Rand should have one girlfriend/wife and that Aviendha would be perfect(IMO) for him.

but think of the gingerism. :ohmy:

I'm also of the mind that one woman is more than enough woman for any man- I completely understand how more than one man can fall for a woman or as in this case, vice versa, but RJ stretched the bounds of my credulity when all three of the randomly chosen women, Elayne, Min, and Aviendha, agree to be Rand's consorts together!

i actually have known of quite a few situations where there were more than two people involved in "one" relationship, and it works as well as any other kind of relationship, as far as i can tell. not that that's saying much. humans can be difficult to understand.

We used to have a poster here that said she was in a similar relationship and everyone was very happy. She was cool and had a cool name (Impressive Bosom). I wish she'd come back and chat with us some more.

I'd say Rand should have one girlfriend/wife and that Aviendha would be perfect(IMO) for him.

but think of the gingerism. :ohmy:

Cartman, is that you?

Rand - I've always been partial to him and Avi even though in the books he has a closer relationship with Min. But if I'm in charge he's with the hot Aiel chick.

Mat - Although I enjoyed his courtship of Tuon and I know the Birgitte's great love is Gaidal Cain, I've always enjoyed the interactions between these two and I think they would be a good match. Above, someone mentioned that Min would be a good match for Mat. Never thought about that before but it would make for a pretty good couple.

Most of the other couples in the book I'd probably just leave alone. They all work pretty well.

Elayne and Avi.. can't see them finding other partners after TG if Rand dies. Though perhaps Elayne and Talmanes.. :wink:

I always thought Elayne and Mat had good chemistry, but now that Mat's off the market...maybe Charlz Guybon. In KoD she thinks of Guybon, "The man was a pleasure to look at. Perhaps he would do for a third Warder."

Nynaeve and Mat

*shudder* I would feel SO bad for Mat. (No offense yoshinobu)

No offense taken. It was just a thought I had in the early parts of my readings. I used to think it would be funny if they got together somehow. Still do I suppose, for me, not for them of course! Sorry for any misspellings

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a couple of silly thoughts...

Thom Merrilin and Suian Sanche. I'm not sure why, other than I like both characters. Would it lead to folk songs with fishy lyrics?

Birgitte and Uno. Just because.

Birgette & Uno would DEFINITELY work! As would Thomas & Suian...

You know, slightly after I made my last post, it occurred to me Uno and anybody would be pretty weird and pretty interesting. Maybe I should start a new thread "Potential Girlfriends For Uno." (Birgitte is my first choice for him, though.)

Also, how about Gareth Bryne and Silviana? That could either be perfect or an absolute disaster.

Archived