DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Where will you go when it's over?

DocBean

Once a Memory of Light is released, and you've read it, what will you do?

Will you keep coming to Dragonmount?

I assume most of us will for at least a while, to discuss what happened, and discuss things that were never resolved.

However, what will you do after that?

After a few months, after a few years?

Do you have other forums you'll go to?

Other series you'll get into?

Song of Ice and Fire - I'm guessing George RR Martin won't be done for another decade or two. Lots to talk about in those forums, I'll be there whenever a Dance with Dragons comes out.

Way of Kings - Sanderson is just getting started, and is planning like 10 books. That will probably stretch to 20 considering most authors take longer then they plan to tell a story.

- I gotta say I just started it, and I'm already sick of seeing the word Tempest.

Sword of Truth by Goodkind - seriously? no, really seriously?

Where will you be?

Personally, I think Patrick Rothfuss is the next great mega series Fantasy writer. Book One of his Kingkiller Chronicles (The Name of the Wind) is the best new series I've read since Game of Thrones. I look forward to enjoying his series for years to come. And as for George RR Martin, I've long since stopped waiting on him to continue Song of Fire and Ice. He seems to be incessantly dragging out the release of the next book in the series so I've stopped waiting. Maybe the HBO series will inspire him to finish.

Terry Goodkind? You aren't serious.

Can I offer a sub-question to your question?

Whats to become of the WoT universe once MoL is completed? There are so many more stories that can be told. I would have loved to see Jordan visit his world from the other side, maybe a trilogy from the point of view of some of the more sentient and intelligent Trollocs or the Foresaken in the Age of Legends. Has the Jordan estate mentioned possibly opening up WoT for additional writers, maybe graphic novels, short stories...anything? Or is it over after MoL?

Personally, I think Patrick Rothfuss is the next great mega series Fantasy writer. Book One of his Kingkiller Chronicles (The Name of the Wind) is the best new series I've read since Game of Thrones. I look forward to enjoying his series for years to come. And as for George RR Martin, I've long since stopped waiting on him to continue Song of Fire and Ice. He seems to be incessantly dragging out the release of the next book in the series so I've stopped waiting. Maybe the HBO series will inspire him to finish.

I just ordered The Name of the Wind for reddit's Fantasy_Bookclub subreddit, and I hear really great things about it. Definitely looking forward to reading it.

I've also got a backlog of series to check out like Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy and The Way of Kings. As everyone else that reads fantasy books the next ASoIF book is near the top of my list. Martin would be insane to not release A Dance of Dragons on the wave of hype the TV show is creating.

My question isn't so much about what series you'll read next.

It's about what forums you'll go to.

Will you still come to Dragonmount?

Do you use other forums now?

I think we can all agree there other good series out there to get into, but will you leave the dragonmount forums forever and go somewhere else?

My question isn't so much about what series you'll read next.

It's about what forums you'll go to.

Will you still come to Dragonmount?

Do you use other forums now?

I think we can all agree there other good series out there to get into, but will you leave the dragonmount forums forever and go somewhere else?

I have been lurking around here for awhile, and just decided to make an account recently, but I don't see this forum dieing with the release of AMoL. A community has been built here, sure it focuses around the wheel of time series, but there are other subforums and whatnot as well.

Take d2jsp.com for example. It was a site created around a bot for the game Diablo II. The game is around l0 years old now, and the popularity of D2 decreased dramatically, but the forum has expanded and lived on. I think the last time I checked it was like the 3rd largest forum on the internet? But yeah, jsp is full of trolls and internet heroes and whatnot, but the example stands. A forum doesn't have to die with the end of what it was created for.

As for other forums I frequent, I spend a lot of time on reddit.com. Reddit has a couple subreddits for the fantasy genre, fantasy.reddit.com being the main one. I recommend you check it out if you want some general fantasy-genre news/talk.

Well, as far as I know I'm still banned from the forums at starwars.com (I was a prequel basher a long time before prequel bashing was cool and am 99% certain that Rick Mccallum made an off hand threat to me prior to the release of Attack of the Clones). I was also a heavy user at TheOneRing.net before the films were released and forum membership went through the roof and it became this massive, impersonal board. I suspect the same thing will happen with the Song of Fire and Ice boards soon.

I was trying a while back to encourage Alastair Reynolds to set up a site and a discussion forum of his books, particularly those set in the Revelation Space universe but that never happened.

But seriously, 14 books, over 2 million words, I seriously doubt this series will run out of meaningful discussion any time soon. I am also hoping AMoL is not the end.

Whats to become of the WoT universe once MoL is completed? There are so many more stories that can be told. I would have loved to see Jordan visit his world from the other side, maybe a trilogy from the point of view of some of the more sentient and intelligent Trollocs or the Foresaken in the Age of Legends. Has the Jordan estate mentioned possibly opening up WoT for additional writers, maybe graphic novels, short stories...anything? Or is it over after MoL?

We know that 5 more books were planned in the WoT universe - 2 prequels (one focused on Tam and one with Moiraine and Lan just before they got to the Two Rivers) and a trilogy that revolves around Mat and Tuon after the Last Battle. These books have some notes and outlines done and, thus, are the only books that ever have a chance of being made because they would be done based on RJ's vision. Brandon has said that he will write them if Harriet wants them done (and he believes that no other author should write them) but he doesn't think that they should be done and he believes that Harriet is unlikely to OK them.

RJ was very, very reluctant to let anyone else play in his sandbox. It was only at nearly the end that he even agreed to let anyone else finish the main storyline. So Harriet will honor his wishes. No other books other than the 5 mentioned above even have a chance at getting made. And we probably won't even get to see those 5 books.

(Although we will get the WoT encyclopedia from Team Jordan once the series is done.)

It's kind of sad that they would not let the idea go on. When you look at works like star trek or Star wars they have tons of material that I enjoy better then the main cannon. Personally I would be honored if it was mine and lived on forever in the imagination of new authors and artist. I would hope that Harriet would see it as her husband living on through the dreams of others.

But alas when this series is over I’ll likely go on reading my normal fair and save these books to read to my children as they grow up. (of course using the ‘fathers’ abridged’ versions for some of the later story lines.) Likely I’ll keep coming here as long as DM is here as I have been coming here for so long now it’s sort of like an old friend.

A slightly off topic aside - for those of you still holding out for A Dance with Dragons coming out anytime soon - just read on George RR Martin's blog that he finally married his girlfriend of 30 years they are off on a six month honeymoon around the world. So yeah, keep on waiting. But hey, chin up, they also said Duke Nukem Forever was never gonna happen either.

A slightly off topic aside - for those of you still holding out for A Dance with Dragons coming out anytime soon - just read on George RR Martin's blog that he finally married his girlfriend of 30 years they are off on a six month honeymoon around the world. So yeah, keep on waiting. But hey, chin up, they also said Duke Nukem Forever was never gonna happen either.

@#$%!. This guy is killing me.

(Although we will get the WoT encyclopedia from Team Jordan once the series is done.)

I would love to see this, a really comprehensive book that goes back and forth and details EVERY single character who has turned up (and maybe a tally of how many women have sniffed in disapproval, or admired a man's calves, and how many women have had spankings etc)/

I'm a frequent poster at another forum even before I joined this one, and I check that forum more regularly than I do this one, so nothing will change on that front.

As for books, I will probably start reading Song of Fire and Ice and/or maybe finish Sword of Truth - I was up to Chainfire; the only reason of which was just to say "I read it and it was truly crap".

:blink::ohmy: They still have "RECORD" stores!!!!! Where do you live 1980?!?! :tongue:

What else do you call them? Entertainment media stores? It's a place that sells music in various forms. I didn't want to use it's corporate name as I hate the fact that I can't go to an independent music store anymore as none exist near me and I am bitter.

:blink::ohmy: They still have "RECORD" stores!!!!! Where do you live 1980?!?! :tongue:

What else do you call them? Entertainment media stores? It's a place that sells music in various forms. I didn't want to use it's corporate name as I hate the fact that I can't go to an independent music store anymore as none exist near me and I am bitter.

Just poking fun at the term, Yeah I have no idea what you call them now. I haven't bought a hard copy of music in forever, I too am bitter that I can't go to a local shop and get the skinny on bands I might not know. The digital music exchange is just so impersonal.

After Wheel of Time? ...Well um ,actually a pretty nice lil Saturday. We're gonna go to home depot, yeah buy some wall paper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that.. Maybe bed bath and beyond, I don't know - I don't know if we'll have enough time!

yyyeeaaahh :bela:

that was great. Except it's really bothering me that I can't remember what movie it's from.

Google here I come.

Justin_Bieber_bio.jpg

"Rawr! I'm a Wolfbrother!"

You know Jenn... all this bieber talk... I'm beginning to think that you're trying to hide bieber fever behind a veil of thinly laced sarcasm.

Jenn: "Oh Justin, you're so dreamy!" /sarcasm *but no, seriously. Call me.*

We could do it this way instead:

TowersOfMidnight_final-small.jpg

"I HAVE BIEBER FEVER!"

Archived