DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I have a few questions?

Jarviee

OK,

So I am totally hitting a blank on this forum. I just wanted to know what the heck there is to do here. I really like and want the idea of community for WoT fans. Now that I found it I want to know how to connect in here. Five me a run down on some stuff please.

Ok so I can join like the black tower, warders, aes sedai, wolf kin, and etc. But what does that mean? what do I do in there with them?

Just throw me some ideas to get me connected here.

<3 and hugs,

Jarviee

Well you can come to the dark side and....nevermind that's not right

In these orgs you do various activities to help gain points and thus gain rank in that particularly social group. For example, I am currently second in command of the Band of the Red Hand social group. At the Band, we concentrate mainly on music, but are trying to add in travel and food. Some of our music activities include:

• Tune or No Tune-one or two songs are posted each week in which you must vote and decide if it is or is not a tune
  • Original vs. Cover-a couple of songs are posted in both their original version and a cover version and you vote to help decide which is better
  • It's a Knockout (for various themes)--a series of ties to come to ultimate conclusion based on a specific theme (such as the best 1980s song or best keyboardist)
  • BotRH Music Game--a unique game in which you post the name of a song using a word from the previously posted song

Aside from music, we also do reviews of restaurants, any holiday travels we may go on, album reviews and also gig reviews.

Other than that, we have our three regiments (Archers, Infantry and Cavalry) in which you will find even more activities, each of which usually relate to the regiment. We joke around, have fun, drink various types of brew (my fav is the brew tea with some brownies ;) ) and just all around have a good group of friends :)

You are always more than welcome to stop on by and post wherever you would like, whether or not you decide to join (but you should join!)

And welcome to DM by the way! You can call me jea for short ;)

Jean,

Awesome. I think that I may catch on to the social groups. I'm not sure of the band of the red hand is the right fit for me. But I must say that I really would like to join any group related to Mat. Favorite character. But, he does tie with Perrin.

Can anyone tell me what the other social groups are like.

Love,

Jarviee

That's a shame! But a good sell, Jea! :biggrin:

Anyway, each Social Group has a different set up. You may as well have a look around first and decide which ones are for you. However, do not overburden yourself with too many groups. I've been here for just over 7 years now, and only active in two - of which the Band is my main home.

*waves his :bandredhand: banner all over the place*

It was a great sell.

I see you are from London. Awesome. I live in Málalga, Spain. I run into a lot of Brits here. I was just in the UK a few weeks ago. Thats if you count Gibraltar as the UK, Which it is. Great people and I freaking love Fish and chips. Not so much mushy peas.

Love,

Jarviee

OK,

So I am totally hitting a blank on this forum. I just wanted to know what the heck there is to do here. I really like and want the idea of community for WoT fans. Now that I found it I want to know how to connect in here. Five me a run down on some stuff please.

Ok so I can join like the black tower, warders, aes sedai, wolf kin, and etc. But what does that mean? what do I do in there with them?

Just throw me some ideas to get me connected here.

<3 and hugs,

Jarviee

Great questions. Basically, you've got a few options. The first, if your primary goal is to talk WoT stuff, is hang out on the book boards. The second, if you're really looking for more general conversations with fellow WoT fans, is to hang out on General and its sub-boards (sports discussions, debates, mafia games, fiddles (spam board)).

Then there are the social groups, which is what you're asking about. A lot of the tightest connections are made on those boards. Essentially, they are groups that each have a different main focus. For instance, Shayol Ghul (where I tend to hang out, SG-wise) is a pretty unique atmosphere - people with great senses of humor, sarcasm, and snark (but never mean). We have points and ranks, mainly to encourage activity, and friendly intra-group competitions between the three Shayol Ghul "Factions" (Shadowspawn, Dreadlords, and, best of all, Black Ajah). For example, we have a monthly photo-caption contest - you can see some of what we're about in the interactions in December's thread (I'd link you to Jan's, but it was kind of self referential :biggrin:). February's CapFac thread should be opening soon . . . come check out our main board and vote.

Other groups have different focuses. The Ogier are focused on books, the Band on music, the Black Tower on games, etc. In the White Tower, the main focus is hanging out with other members and (much like in the "real" Tar Valon) working your way up from novice status to Aes Sedai.

Bottom line, IMO - each group is different, and they appeal to different types of people. The White Tower is a bit too big and structured for my tastes, some people find Shayol Ghul too sarcastic (not me), the Black Tower too spammy . . . it all depends on your personality. But odds are, at least one (and likely more than one) will appeal to you.

So dip your toes in. Go to their public boards (one or two at a time) and read a bit, introduce yourself (and watch out for incoming pouncing). You'll find a place where you're comfortable - and eventually, it'll feel like home.

Spanks a Ton,

Yah, I've been whoring my way around some of the groups and I think I found my niche in Shayol Ghul. I asked for someone to let me join.

I like snarkness (But never mean). Definitely me. Venga Vamos! Hacemos! (Let's Do it)!

Love,

Jarviee

You don't have to stick to one social group.

The Black Tower isn't all about Spam, yes we have some like to be we are more about allowing your tainted side to some through (so if you're a bit whacky you'll fit in). We also like games and competitions, running from Chess, we going to be doing a Trivial Suit WoT style soon and we have One Power Fights as well. We are happy to have meaningful discussions, but when it comes down to it, we are a little mad and proud of it, lol.

If you like Nature then the Wolfkin cover that area and are very friendly.

To be honest you can try a few out until you find somewhere you feel you fit in with the people there. You will also find a few of us around the place. You'll find me in the Band and the White Tower (which has no theme but opens into a huge world if you join). But my main home is the Black Tower, it hasn't nothing to do with the fact that I run it...honest..:biggrin:

You don't have to stick to one social group.

The Black Tower isn't all about Spam, yes we have some like to be we are more about allowing your tainted side to some through (so if you're a bit whacky you'll fit in). We also like games and competitions, running from Chess, we going to be doing a Trivial Suit WoT style soon and we have One Power Fights as well. We are happy to have meaningful discussions, but when it comes down to it, we are a little mad and proud of it, lol.

If you like Nature then the Wolfkin cover that area and are very friendly.

To be honest you can try a few out until you find somewhere you feel you fit in with the people there. You will also find a few of us around the place. You'll find me in the Band and the White Tower (which has no theme but opens into a huge world if you join). But my main home is the Black Tower, it hasn't nothing to do with the fact that I run it...honest..:biggrin:

Yep, like I said, you guys are about games, theme-wise, and do a great job. Just too spammy for *me* to feel at home there - doesn't mean anyone else will or should feel the same way.

We're themeless ... so sad *cries a little*. Is true, though :biggrin:

The WT, like a few other Groups, is more about your personality type than any defined theme as such. If you like the whole structure of the White Tower and Warders in the books, and want to hang out with other people who do, then it's a place to come check out. Of course, most of us have multiple facets to our personalities (and those BT people just have multiple personalities, I tell you!), so we tend to belong to more than 1 group.

You live in Malaga? Are you from Spain? I'm currently studying in Granada so I'm really close to you! I'm actually headed down to Malaga this weekend to fly to Rome from there! :) But I might actually visit Malaga as well! Sorry...had to ask....Spain is pretty awesome :)

Anyways, like the others have said, just give anything that sparks your interest a try and see what happens. Like I mentioned, you don't have to join anywhere if you don't want to so don't feel pressured!

Te alhambra is amazing!!! Just make sure you have a rainyfree day and are willing to walk quite a bit! I would also suggest a visit up into the Albaicin neighvorhood bc u can get some pretty impressive views of the Alhambra from there! Are you studying in Malaga or?

I actually just graduated from College and decided to work with Campus Crusade for Christ. Im just doing some missionary work on the University of Malaga Campus.

I might actually move out to Granada next year and work on the Campus there. Either that or head out to Buenos Aires, Argentina. Still up in the air.

Buenos Aires has about 11 million people and 900,000 students in the city. Crazy right???

Dude. I gotta check out the Alhambra.

You studying out there? Spanish or just something else.

Im originally from Chicago. Best City in the world!! Hands down!!

Welcome to the Mount!

Uhm, well looks like they gave you a good rundown of one side of the forums, that being the Orgs and the more social side of things, but I should toss out the other side! So, since you are here you love the Wheel of Time right? Well, ever wonder what it would be like to be someone in the world the books are set in? Like a Wolfkin? Or a Child of the Light? Or even an Aes Sedai? Well, down in the RP part of the forums, the Portal Stone World (PSW) you can create and play someone who is in the world!

Run beside the wolves as they hunt! Charge down a hill on the back of a horse, your fellow children beside you washing over the landscape in a flood of glorious white!

<Gets smacked by his wolf companion> Ok, so its not all that dramatic. Though it can be sometimes, and often is on the Turnings of the Wheel: Revilution One board, which is Roleplay set in the world, from the age of ledgends to after the books, that doesnt require a bio to be submitted to a Division (Div) and is often more dramatic then the rest of the PSW (A good example is the thread War of the Shadows: Of Darkness and Light...which I wrote).

I mention this stuff really for the interest of fairness :3 explaining one side of the forums is always best followed by explaining the other. For more information please look at the Welcome Inn (http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/forum/10-the-welcome-inn/) which has a better explination and also can answer questions that might have been raised by my explination :3

If you have an questions after that, feel free to start a conversation with me or ask them here! I will respond asap with my best answer!

Until then, have fun Storming the Mount!

like Winterwinds said do stop by the rp section as well, then you can get to imagine being someone else living in the books, and explore your own plotlines

both on the good and dark side, though of course we dont really think we are the bad guys on the dark side, just the one with more sences ;)

Yep, I'm studying Spanish here at the University of Granada through the Centro de Lenguas Modernas through API through my home univeristy of Missouri Western State University.

And that's awesome what you are doing! I've been trying to find some people to start up what my home university's Baptist group has called "Wednesday Lunch" but I've been tossed around so much that I haven't been able to set anything up yet :( Oh and no I'm not Baptist but the Campus Crusade for Christ group at MWSU was so corrupt that I had to find somewhere else to go and the BSU was so welcoming and friendly that i couldn't help but stay! I think our Cru has been reinstated but I'm not 100% sure.

That is crazy about Buenas Aires! But I know every city in the world needs more of the good news.

Feel free to pm if you want someone to show you around Granada when you come up. As of now I'm not planning on traveling during March I don't think.

Jean,

Tight!! Go story. Always great to find a brother/sister.

I think I might actually be heading off to Granada to work next year

Corki: Tranquilo my man. I totally want to go there I just don't know if that's where I am heading. But you and I are on the same page. Especially because you can go into the Antarctica and technically you are still in Argentina. Then you can play with Penguins. The penguinos speak Spanish too.

That it is! And Granada is a really neat and interesting city, but then again everywhere over here is so neat and different to me!

And I could have studied in Buenas Aires but I'm not that rich...I did have enough to get to Spain instead of just going to Mexico though :)

Archived